1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to make money off of a huge traffic spike

Discussion in 'General Business' started by math20, Jun 28, 2006.

I'm creating a myspace related website and I'm considering launching it with a myspace bulletin. I need to make money off of some sort of advertising but google would ban me from adsense if I all of a sudden get 50,000 pageviews.

I would like a effective cpm of $20 if possible. Thanks!

math20, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  2. Blackbeard

Blackbeard Active Member

Best Answers:
    So, you think you can get a traffic spike from out of nowhere and ALSO have a $20 eCPM without having enough experience in advertising to know the answer to your own question?

A $20 CPM might be possible if you can get enough of an affiliate conversion rate on a high-paying affiliate in your site's niche. Otherwise, if you have a good product of your own to sell, then you could make it happen.

I'd say your best bet is to setup your advertising before you lauch and play around with it until you hit your $20 eCPM on a small scale and then see how well it scales to a larger audience.

Blackbeard, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  3. math20

math20 Peon

Best Answers:
    If not $20 eCPM I would like some form of cpm advertising that will accept traffic spikes and has a paypal payout.

math20, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  4. Blackbeard

Blackbeard Active Member

Best Answers:
    CPM is not always your best bet. You should look into having multiple advertising streams. For example, you could run AdSense or a similar contextual system and also maybe a banner or two for a CPA system such as AzoogleAds or Comission Junction. CPA affiliates can bring high payouts, like $10-20 per signup, so if you can get 1 signup per 1,000 hits, then you're golden.

Blackbeard, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  5. nb109

nb109 Peon

Best Answers:
    Will Google really ban you due to a traffic spike? I've experienced huge traffic spikes from various advertising campaigns, so it doesn't seem like it's that unusual a thing. I'm about to launch a new site soon and I'll be using Adsense for the first time.
    Am I to expect that Google is going to ban me if my marketing strategies are too successful??

nb109, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  6. math20

math20 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have emailed google to let them know that I will be getting a lot of traffic so hopefully they won't ban me but they have been known to do such a thing.

math20, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  7. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    if i had 20 eCPM i'd be a millionaire by now. You're going to have to work hard to get that, experiment between ypn and adsense that should be your biggest money maker. Also add in some CPM banners, and sell text links everywhere you can think of and maybe you'll get 20 eCPM. Good luck man!

runnerunner, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  8. kdollar

kdollar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are trying to make it in the long run the easy way definatly won't be the best.

kdollar, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  9. kedaar

kedaar Peon

Best Answers:
    Create registration page or atleast collect emails for newsletters. This will help you to attract visitors in future.

kedaar, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  10. GNB

GNB Guest

Best Answers:
    You can now make claims on adsense.. and when they check and see its genuine, they will give you your money.

GNB, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  11. bugon

bugon Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the CTR on spikes is lower (the herds don't click). At least this is what I have noticed, so CPM ads would probably do better... but each site is different.

bugon, Jul 3, 2006 IP