1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So I applied to be an editor....

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by b2breps, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    How long does it take to hear back. I heard a lot of people get turned down for the first time. Does anyone have any insight?

b2breps, Feb 6, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. Smaaz

Smaaz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Usually they reply within a couple of days. And yes, they turn down most applications.

Smaaz, Feb 6, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Reviewing new editor applications is done by volunteer meta editors and catmods, so like all editing activities there is no specific time frame. Some applications are rejected within minutes, usually because the form is incomplete or the instructions have not been followed. Other applications may wait several weeks for review if the application is in a language spoken by only a couple of volunteers. I guess most applications are reviewed within a couple of weeks of being submitted.

Many people get accepted on their first application, if they take the time and trouble to complete the form honestly and carefully. Unfortunately way too many applicants do neither, and are therefore asked to try again. Many current editors were accepted only after paying attention to the feedback they received when they were unsuccessful. ;)

makrhod, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  4. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I remember when I applied in 2006ish. It seemed a little bit hard with all the gathering I had to do. I was accepted, but, I was so embarrassed because the submissions I did with my application were already listed in the directory and I did not know it. I was confused and nervous. :) The lady that emailed me told me that I did a good job on them, but they were already in the directory..... but I shouldn't worry because at least I knew HOW to do it :p

It's absolutely true, if you aren't going to take the time and be thorough with your app, then what the heck kind of job will you be doing once you get on board? :D

Karen May Jones, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi b2breps.

I have personal experience of not being accepted first time. :) Actually, not even the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time ;) But i believe that the application is very much a learning curve in itself.

If you are accepted, great. If not, the email will advise a number of generic reasons and possibly, a specific reason. I believe that the reviewer wants to see that you can evaluate your application yourself, see where you went wrong and then adjust it accordingly. If you can do this, then you are in fact doing what you need to do, when you edit sites.

Now this is just my opinion, its in no way a fact.....but it makes sense to me, based upon my application experience(s).

One word of caution, the learning curve does not apply to parts of the application that involve honesty, such as site disclosure and affilliations. They expect 100% accuracy in this regard, from the very first application.

Hope it goes well for you.......be sure to post when (if) you are accepted. ;)

snooks, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  6. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    i was approved when i applied for the 4th time. be true as well as vigilant when filling the form

shailendra, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Congratulations and great to hear. ;) ;)

snooks, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  8. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    thank snooks:)

shailendra, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  9. GeeOne

GeeOne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually it is not a thump rule that first time the application would reject, certainly the Meta are very careful for the new editor, if they are very sure then the application is accepted.
    Best source to know the status of application etc. available on www.resource-zone.com forum.

GeeOne, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  10. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well perhaps things may be changing,

I took a shot at applying again, and I was blatantly honest,
    I mean I basically said this category is stale, I have a website that belongs here and the first thing I will do is add my site.

I got the standard rejection letter, but what was different was that the person who reviewed my application gave me like 2 paragraphs on what I needed to do to get my application accepted. He/she was specific and helpful, which is something I have never seen in the past. And strangely the reviewer had no problems with the fact that I siad the category was stale and I was going to add my site.

When you get a rejection letter with the standard 7 or 8 possible issues that were wrong with you application you could apply 50 more times before you get it right.

And my rejection came within an hour.

I reapplied and followed the instructions and it's been about a day and have not heard back. So we shall see if I followed the directions to the point where I will get accepted.

joeventura, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  11. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Just as a follow up, reading the forums at ODP, the editor app once you get past the first step is about a 3 to 6 month process (just from reading the posts) so what I assume is that if you don't rejected in the first day or so, your application is probably in a pool of apps to be approved by a required second party. So I will put a tickler on my calendar to inquire about my application sometime in the summer.

12. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid you might have misunderstood the posts you read. :)
    The "3-6 month process" probably refers to the ongoing advice and assistance given to all new editors to help them learn how to understand and apply the guidelines correctly. It usually takes several months and several hundred edits to become familiar with what is required.

There is no "second opinion" needed on new editor applications. They are reviewed by meta editors and catmods, and each of those volunteers has the experience and authority to make a decision on their own. Any delay in the application reviewing process (which is measured in weeks not months) is a result of the large number of applications received and the fact that like all editing activities this is done by volunteers who can choose to spend their DMOZ time in many different ways.

There is no need to wait until summer. All applicants receive feedback when their application has been processed, so if you have not received an answer to your application after 14 days, you are welcome to ask about it in this Resource Zone thread, but please be sure to read the advice at the top before posting.

makrhod, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  13. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course not. :)
    It is perfectly acceptable to add your own site, provided you do so in accordance with the guidelines and provided you also add other worthwhile sites as well.

To repeat the explanation from those guidelines (which are available for everyone to read):

makrhod, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  14. joeventura

Best Answers:

Oh ok thanks for the clarification,

Today I got feedback that I did not disclose all sites that I was affiliated with, so now I will spend an hour googling myself to see where my name may be mentioned as this may be confused as an affiliation, so I will list every domain I own, ever owned or where my name may be mentioned.

So far I am told I can re-apply so I will do so until I get told to piss off or until I get approved. I am keeping all emails.

15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im sure that you can understand one of the major requirements is honesty, hence disclosure of the sites that you are affilliated with. Look on the good side, when you do get them all listed, then all is in order, all is declared and they are never an issue. ;)

snooks, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  16. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Well lets be clear, this isn't about my lack of disclosure or honesty it is about what the word affiliated means.

Thinking back, I am mentioned on my employers website, which I did not list, I don't control it, own it or the domain they may call this affiliated.

Like I said they probably Google my name, which come to think of it shows me owning websites that I no longer own, so this may be an exercise in futility as I may have to list everything I have ever done or owned.

I am also mentioned on Linkedin, Zoominfo etc. I guess I will list those also.

joeventura, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  17. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have anything to do with accepting new editors, don't even see the process, but I hope that what this does show is that we do try to ensure that we know all the sites to which someone has had or has allegiance. Not that we object to them being listed, I guess many editors first came into the project because they had sites, but so that we as editors cannot show favouritism to those sites. That is the cardinal sin.

Having a list to start is not foolproof, but ODP uses many means, including public comment, to ensure we stay on line.

But if ODP is to monitor how we relate to certain sites that we have had or have affiliation to then if a list is asked for and it is obvious that there are others that we have been associated with, maybe only in the past, and they are not included then we are bound to be suspicious. Personally I would not want it any other way and for me your experience speaks volumes to those who accuse us of being corrupt.

I am glad that it has not put you off and I hope your next attempt is successful, we need editors who are determined and stick at the job.

Anonymously, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  18. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah sure :) and someone who first time read this will think is really truth :) lol .... i`m thinking now only about the editor who listed the site with MLM products :) or the one who added the spam site with 3 listings which I said few days ago how much valuable '' affiliations '' there :) or maybe the editor who added the site which is the clone of sub domain girls community

trustnobodynever, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  19. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    It is certainly a word open to different interpretations, but fortunately for editors and applicants, the way that it is used in DMOZ is explained very clearly here:
    I would be rather surprised if anyone found it necessary to Google for their affiliations. Any site so distantly connected with you that you had forgotten all about it is very unlikely to be of great concern to the reviewer of your application.

makrhod, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  20. joeventura

Best Answers:

Well even worse, with definitions that broad (including stuff from the past) could be an hour or two for me to put that list together. - whew -

joeventura, Feb 21, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.