1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why bother calling your senators?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ncz_nate, Feb 5, 2009.

And voicing your opposition to this "stimulus"?

It's not like they listened last time. Remember when there were calls coming in like 10:1 against the last bill, but our thoughtful Congressmen passed it anyhow because they thought they knew what was best for us? Your opinion means nothing. They don't represent you anymore.

Can anyone persuade me otherwise, give me some evidence that Congress actually represents the people?

ncz_nate, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  2. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't you already fail if you don't try?

Firegirl, Feb 6, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  3. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No. I think "trying" only gives them more power, because it reinforces our powerless position. That's why I didn't vote, and never will vote. It reduces me to not only a powerless slave, but a desperate one who thinks he has a say in the matter. They loveee when you see the illusion of "freedom".

If you want change, stop abiding by their laws and stop participating in the system. And if they throw us all in jail? Well, who will they steal from?!

ncz_nate, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  4. Reseg

Reseg Peon

Best Answers:
    After 3 hours of trying, my mother-in-law said she finally got through and was informed the calls are just over 100:1 with people opposed. Just an FYI, if 10:1 didn't stop it, maybe 100:1 will lol.

Reseg, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  5. cutler258

cutler258 Active Member

Best Answers:
    it is not your problem :)

cutler258, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  6. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    ... k

care to elaborate?

ncz_nate, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  7. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That makes me sad. Perhaps one day you will reconsider. I think you and your community would benefit from your input on important issues. Anyway, it is certainly your right not to vote as well so, either way, enjoy your choice.

browntwn, Feb 6, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  8. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    I take radical (or seemingly radical) positions on most issues. This particular position I hold would leave most to believe that I'm irresponsible and don't deserve to be counted - because I won't do the simplest thing to "make yourself heard", which is vote. That's what my dad says anyhow..

But it's actually a principled position and if you look deeper into it, you'll see this 'inaction' is more powerful than blindly going out to cast your choice. It speaks volumes about the way one views politics. Eventually, the proles are going to get fatigued and realize neither Red nor Blue represents them, and our (or shall I say your ;)) politicians will be left to govern themselves.

To not vote - is to really vote.

ncz_nate, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  9. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    The only real reason I vote is to vote the opposite of what I think you would vote. That way I see it as not only canceling out your vote(if you voted) but I effectively get two votes since you stayed home. Plus I get two of those "I voted today" pins and they're kind of shiny.
    :p

LogicFlux, Feb 6, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  10. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've called and written numerous letters about an array of issues. I get a canned response every time.

I vote for "not worth it".

tarponkeith, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  11. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    In the last bailout, and in the new stimulus, we don't have the opportunity to vote, we can only hope the people we vote in will represent our wishes. But when you have the chance to vote, do it! That's when we have the chance to get rid of politicians who do not represent us, and vote in people that we believe will do a better job, and that's so important. If a politician is not representing what you believe, nothing would make them happier than having you believe that your vote doesn't count. Your opinion may not always seem to matter to them, but your vote does...that's how they keep their job, right?

Rebecca, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  12. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    Kay Bailey Hutchinson represents the majority of Texans :D Thats the good thing about us, you go outside of Austin and we're all the same. So its not hard to decide what exactly we want :D

hostlonestar, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  13. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Let me ask you all something.. If you married a drunk who beat and abused you every time he came home, how many chances would you give him until you divorced? Imagine that your drunk husband says he's going to change after each day he beats you. Would it take long till you came to your senses, or would your HOPEful emotions cloud your judgment?

The American taxpayer has been getting abused by her drunk husband for countless terms, but each time you get fooled again into believing he's going to CHANGE. It's a vicious cycle now, since most of you have become codependents. The same thing will happen next election - after 4 years of abuse, drunken Sam will sober up for a bit and win your heart with more empty promises. Will we have wised up by then?

ncz_nate, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  14. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If I were married to someone that beat me once, I would be gone on the first time. That doesn't mean that I would conclude from that experience that every man in the US is a wife beater. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your story, but are you saying every politician is exactly alike?

Here's a story...
    Let's say we have this horrible politician that abuses his power and is doing a terrible job in office. He is up for re-election, and let's say to make it easy, the population of that country is 100. Many people are so fed up with politics, they believe they have no control, and their vote doesn't matter. Let's say half of the population, 50 of them just decide it's not worth voting. This politician has a circle of supporters of say special interest groups and people that he has bribed, and so he gets 30% or 30 people to vote for him. 20 people are motivated to change the government, they may be fed up as well, but they consider it their patriotic duty to vote. What happens is that this corrupt politician gets to stay in office because 30 people voted for him, and the other guy that wanted to make things better only got 20 votes. Ironically, the 50 people that didn't vote b/c they are fed up, could have made all the difference and voted the corrupt politician out of office, but they all sat at home thinking their vote didn't matter. That's a simplistic view, but how I look at it.

But I understand where your coming from Nate.:)

Rebecca, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  15. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Drunken Sam is Uncle Sam. Drunken Sam is notorious for stealing his family's money to spend on more beer. If his wife or kids were to speak up or withhold their money from him - he'd kill them.

Federal government - there's no use. Besides, my rights don't come from government.. they came with the life I was given. I'll live how I wish to live and I won't be threatened into living any other way.

ncz_nate, Feb 7, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  16. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Uncle Sam is on a drinking binge right now. LOL
    If you refuse to pay, they won't kill you, but they do throw tax evaders in jail. If you feel that strongly, it might be interesting to get involved in a group that is trying to change tax laws.

Rebecca, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  17. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We need a flat tax and a balanced budget amendment. We can't even afford the interest on the national debt. The US already has a 1 trillion defecit this year and 1 trillion stimulus will make a 2 trillion shortfall. That's a 20% increase in the national debt in one year. From what I hear, the same ting is going to happen next year.

bogart, Feb 8, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  18. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Looks like our calls paid off :rolleyes:

ncz_nate, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  19. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No vote is a vote - are you serious?

Rebecca explained why your vote counts, did you understand that?

To me, no vote means you deserve your drunk uncle for sure and you can't be taken serious on any political comment you make, not that I took you seriously before I read that haha. Get in there and make your point, by voting, then at least you had a go.

Bushranger, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  20. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

Things are different in the US - than they are in Aussie.

ncz_nate, Feb 18, 2009 IP