1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Business Rules for Socializing on Twitter

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Brandon Sheley, Feb 5, 2009.

Business Rules for Socializing on Twitter

Twitter is a social networking tool, built to, well…socialize and network with others. Many businesses have caught on to this nifty network marketing tool. Since then Twitter has exploded as an easy to use, online platform that can be expanded to help develop branding, promote products, and keep clients in sync with what is happening on the forefront of your business.

There are a few different rules businesses must follow when networking on Twitter, but for the most part, things work the same as they do for an individual user. Here are a few things to think about when using Twitter as a business tool.
    • Update your profile – Keep your profile updated and current with any new developments or projects currently in the works. This helps your customers understand where you are going as a business and it also makes them aware of any changes you have planned.
    • Stay professional – While it may be fun to get into a heated debate over who will win the Kentucky Derby, keep your tweeting business oriented. It is not a bad thing to express your opinion every once in a while, but do make sure that it falls directly in line with the mission statement and operating procedures of the company under whose name you are tweeting. If you are a sole proprietor, obviously you have the decision making power here, but if you are in business with others, develop a policy for how individuals will tweet.
    • Be personal – People like to know they are talking with actual people. In this age where digital voices prompting our actions are standard, people find great delight in the ability to communicate with intelligent human people who can actually listen and respond rather than deal with canned impersonal messages that don't meet their individual needs and desires.
    • Give to get – Do not, I repeat, do not, just spam your followers with announcements of new products or websites for them to look at. Converse with them, answer their questions and ask them exactly what they are looking for. Once again, be human and socialize with them. It is ok to interact with your customer online the same way you interact in a face to face meeting, just keep it professional.
    • Use tracking devices – Implement the use of hashtags and other tracking devices as searchable references for your customers. This makes it easy for them to follow you and your business developments. The easier it is to follow you and what you are doing, the better chance you have they will actually do it. Let your customers know when you have initiated a new search term and what those terms mean to them. Your business is about helping the customer get to your product as easy as possible. Hashtags are a great tool to help this happen.
    • Make their life easy – While conversing with your prospects, make sure to ask if there is anything they believe your business can do to improve - and then listen. Customer feedback is one of the most valuable tools to a business. What better way to get feedback than online when you are already in conversation with them? You can develop customer loyalty simply through listening to and responding to their opinions.
    The biggest difference between a business account and a personal account on Twitter is the language and posture you present while socializing. Don’t be a machine, check your replies and messages, respond to questions and be human. Follow these simple rules and your business will develop a new social networking tool that can be used to reach thousands more clients in no time.

Best Business Practices for Twitter
    Branding Your Twitter Profile

Brandon Sheley, Feb 5, 2009 IP
    terrapin719 and mspennylane like this.
  2. lyxbird

lyxbird Peon

Best Answers:
    thank u for sharing :)

lyxbird, Feb 6, 2009 IP
    FightRice likes this.
  3. kosiosl

kosiosl Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you for these tips

kosiosl, Feb 6, 2009 IP
    FightRice likes this.
  4. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Check out the 2 links at the end of the post for more tips on using Twitter.

Brandon Sheley, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  5. xenus

xenus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for the tips

xenus, Feb 9, 2009 IP
  6. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great tips. I think that finding the right balance between personal and professional on twitter helps, though some businesses can be extremely un-business-like on twitter and create a great following, depending on what they are offering people.

mspennylane, Feb 10, 2009 IP
  7. terrapin719

terrapin719 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good twittering tips ;)

I've found that having separate business and personal twitter accounts can be very helpful, especially if you're working on a brand and want people to find you by that name. Just make sure you log in to the right one before you tweet anything out!

Although even with business only account it doesn't hurt to be "real" and chat with others. Just keep it clean.

terrapin719, Feb 10, 2009 IP
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  8. Brandon Sheley

Best Answers:
    Well I just passed 2700 followers using these tips :)
    It's only taken a month and growing :D

Brandon Sheley, Mar 11, 2009 IP
  9. d35i9n

d35i9n Member

Best Answers:
    one of the best twitter posts here on dp!

d35i9n, Mar 12, 2009 IP
  10. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think separate business and personal accounts could be useful, but it is always a good idea to keep the personal element in my opinion.

mspennylane, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  11. Brandon Sheley

Best Answers:
    thx! sent ya some rep for that :p
    I agree

Brandon Sheley, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  12. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not bad advice loco... very good actually!

I myself have found that many just follow in hopes that you follow them so they can spam the hell out of you... DONT do that as you pointed out!

(i check to see what they are all about first before i bother to follow as i dont want an automated
    machine throwing links at me constantly trying to get me to buy there products...)

Conversation and interaction will always win there hearts and minds then there wallets ;)

PS... Ill send you a private PM on twitter as i dont want my twitter account posted here

Laterz
    Malcolm

malcolm1, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  13. vanwestern.media

vanwestern.media Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you very much. I'm learning a lot! :)

vanwestern.media, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  15. Curt8888

Curt8888 Member

Best Answers:
    this a a great thread - thanks for the info ;)

Curt8888, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  16. devmishra

devmishra Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot Loco.M
    Iam just going to post what is twitter topic but got your post just before.

devmishra, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  17. jones1982

jones1982 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this info

jones1982, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  18. d35i9n

d35i9n Member

Best Answers:
    A+ just read it again

d35i9n, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  19. Jectillplum

Jectillplum Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing your tips very useful.

Awesome post.

Jectillplum, Jun 16, 2009 IP
  20. seo-neon

seo-neon Peon

Best Answers:
    The post is very informative, thankyou so much...

This is the best thing to do, and you simply described it really well:

seo-neon, Jun 16, 2009 IP