1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I simply can't access my site

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by gooner4ever, Feb 5, 2009.

I moved from VPS to dedicated servers. After a while, I was not able to access my site - I get the page load error.

I have emailed some friends, hosting company, checked at neighbour - the can access it! I can access it trough proxy site.

I have contacted my hopsting company, they asked me to:

type "ipconfig /all" in cmd and provide them with my DNS server IPs. they looked at name servers, name server IP's ... and I still can't access it ... :(

Any advices?

gooner4ever, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  2. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have changed your nameservers recently, then you will have to wait for it. It happens that the nameservers in the country where the server is, gets updated much quicker than the one in which you are sitting.

E.G:- like you have the server in US for Proxy, but you live in UK, if your proxy server site is based in USA, then it can access it much quicker than it would be in UK. Wait for like 48 hours, it should be back on.

flamer, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  3. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, but my neighbor can access the site ... and I'm waiting more than 48 hours now ... thanks for the tip anyway

4. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    Browse the following directory in your C Drive >> Windows >> System32 >> Drivers >> Etc >> Edit the file named "hosts" with a wordpad.

By default, there should be a line like this:

"127.0.0.1 localhost"

Go to the next line and add this:

00.00.00.00(put the hosting service IP) yourdomain.com

00.00.00.00(put the hosting service IP) www.yourdomain.com

Now note, replace yourdomain.com with your own domain and change 00.00.00.00 with the IP allocated for your account. To find which IP is allocated for your account, login to your cpanel, and from the left menu, find "Shared IP address" or "Dedicated IP address". Another way, you can find this out by going to WHM >> List Accounts >> Search yourdomain.com and the IP listed.

Save the file and try pinging your domain. It should point to the IP you listed in hosts file. And if you try to browse your site now, it should go to our server or the IP you listed in hosts file.

See if that helps.

flamer, Feb 5, 2009 IP
    gooner4ever likes this.
  5. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    Ooooooooooooooo!! It worked, thank you soooo much !! :)))

6. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    Aah LOL, Thanks for it..! I am glad to help. ;)

flamer, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  7. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey all,

After more than a 40 days, I noticed that my traffic dropped by more than 40%. Also, I got a lot of emails from other blogger who said that they can't access the site.

What could be a reason? How to fix it? My hosting company tried and looked into it a lot of times and no solution still. I was able to access my site but only after I have done thoose windows "hacks" ... i'm desperate

gooner4ever, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  8. JPC-NickO

JPC-NickO Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Please provide me with your domain name (via pm if you don't want it public) and I'll take a look at the DNS for your domain.

In my experience new VPS users do not properly configure their DNS most of the time.

JPC-NickO, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  9. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, DNS could be one of the things which might be a problem. If you research on the internet to check how to block traffic from specific countries, then you might want to break through the root scripts if your host hasnt secreatly got your VPS configurations like that. (ONLY IF IT IS A VPS OR DEDICATED SERVER.)

@JPC-NickO If you have any experience with Lxadmin DNS, i would need a bit of hand. If you could help, then please let me know, we'll talk via PM's :D

flamer, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  10. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    Site is wewewe spoilers guide dot com

thank you both for your help

gooner4ever, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  11. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    As we had a chat through the PM's, the issue seemed to be solved.I aint sure totally, but if it is, then just let uus know, and if it's not.. i'll try scratching some more of my head.. :D

flamer, Mar 21, 2009 IP