1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getafreelancer.com?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by iDotya, Feb 4, 2009.

Has anyone used this website before?
    Is it trustworthy?

I have a guy lined up to do some flash web designing for me, but I would like some confirmation that this site is a reliable source.

What do you think?

iDotya, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  2. jameswalker

jameswalker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I have heard people saying that it is a good site for finding freelancing. I have never used it personally, but I have only heard good things.

jameswalker, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  3. checkmeeveryday

checkmeeveryday Banned

Best Answers:
    i used it once and I learn something, we will get what we are paying.
    A little tip.
    -Find trustworthy member.
    -see their portfolio (professional will keep their portfolio- if the member take long time to response you for portfolio, beware, maybe he took somebody else's portfolio)
    -use escrow if it isn involve a big transaction

:)

checkmeeveryday, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  4. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is trustworthful
    I'm one of the buyer of this site, price is consider cheap

lifeplayer, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  5. iDotya

iDotya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well my this job averaged about a $100 bid and I convinced someone to do it for $80.00
    Should i go through with the project?

iDotya, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  6. Matagascar

Matagascar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've personally used this website before and can vouch for it. I have completed over 15 successful projects and each time was completed with satisfaction. Before choosing a service provider, check out their feedback and also their profile. Make sure to state any terms and conditions before the project begins.

Good luck.

Matagascar, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  7. Timeeh

Timeeh Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah..
    i got like 10 bids on my request..
    took the best one out of it ;)
    Hes working for me atm :)

Timeeh, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  8. Jon1771

Jon1771 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is a trustworthy site and probably one of the largest freelancer websites around!

Just be careful as some people are so good on there and some place a bid and when you choose them they will then add more fees to there bid!

Jon1771, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  9. Blonde Jon

Blonde Jon Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    No need to worry about Getafreelancer, but do worry about who you pick to do your job. I've had two projects done by freelancers from Getafreelancer. One of the freelancers were really good while the other stunk tremendously. Next time I need a project done, I have a person that I know will do a good job.

Like someone else said, look at their ratings and check out their portfolio. Some guys are bidding super low because they have to because they haven't built up a rating or a portfolio yet. You kind of have to go with your gut instinct.

Blonde Jon, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  10. wittyusername

wittyusername Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used GAF, it's a reliable site. The contractors are the ones you need to worry about. It's already been said though.

wittyusername, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  11. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I have used them before but what i can tell is there are many scammer there and i have been scammed twice last year and it involve total $5000 dollar.
    Now i switch to guru.com and don't encounter any problem yet.

mentos, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  12. ramstien

ramstien Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I have got some clients from getafreelancer.com and I must say that it is one of the best freelancer's portal.
    They have pretty good reputation and payment processing system, which makes it reliable and secure as well.

ramstien, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  13. rcavezza

rcavezza Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used it as well. I've had a few good experiences and a few bad experiences. When you are finding copywriters, make sure you request samples. It will be well worth the time to read the samples. Most of the content writers on the website are from India and are not able to write well for American or British audiences.

rcavezza, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  14. iDotya

iDotya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well im kinda worried cause I sent him the project files but he hasn't emailed back. Hopefully he is working on them.

iDotya, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  15. dj_sonu2003

dj_sonu2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do use GAf its good website for buyer & provider.. you should go ahead.:)

dj_sonu2003, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  16. real_friend4life

real_friend4life Peon

Best Answers:
    Arrange like this that the bidder first do some work given by you and show his work to you, then you pay and release funds after getting it completed. This way, you will know that you are paying a person who can do the job you require.

real_friend4life, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  17. iDotya

iDotya Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is looking kinda risky. He is contacting me saying this:
    Like does he even know what he is talking about? lol SOOOO I'm doing this right now, idk about this guy.

iDotya, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  18. dura_killer

dura_killer Peon

Best Answers:
    GAF is a total waste of time for both server buyers & providers.
    Providers submit bids to stuff they are not capable of & make it difficult for buyers to choose right service provider who can do the project efficiently.

dura_killer, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  19. pickledegg

pickledegg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can vouch for getafreelancer too, I've used it before for some Curl stuff, and the guy was great.

pickledegg, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  20. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    As a content provider, I don't like GAF. I've tried it and the site itself, along with the escrow service, is fine. The problem lies with the pricing structure. I don't know about scripts and graphics (maybe the pay for those providers is mid to high range) but as far as content services, the jobs do not pay enough to retain good content providers. This could be because those looking for content don't know any better. Maybe they see other low bids and think that is the going rate.

I understand, you may be happy with some of the content you've received through their site. If you are, I would bet one of the following:

- You hired a newbie who didn't know how to market themselves.
    - You hired a good writer who is too lazy to market themselves (it is daunting after all). They may or may not be reliable- if they're not treating their own career like a business then I would have my doubts.
    - You don't know how to proofread and recognize errors in grammar, voice, spelling, etc. To you, the content looks fine- but in reality it is not. This is understandable- you're not a writer. But some of your clients may notice and that's not good. You'll immediately lose credibility with them. Additionally, instead of hiring a good writer who will complete edits if there happen to be mistakes (which there usually are not) and will also edit to update SEO and information as necessary in the future, you have hired someone who will not do any edits.

Hiring a good writer/ coder/ designer/ whatever is like bringing on a partner. They collaborate with you. They want to see your vision fulfilled. They are not like a fast food joint- taking your order and throwing out tasteless, run-of-the-mill chow to you.

Y.L. Prinzel, Feb 7, 2009 IP
    terrapin719 and jagan123 like this.