1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google page 6 penalty

Discussion in 'Google' started by fishfinder, Jan 16, 2009.

1. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    Just did a post a few minutes ago about -50 penalizations... i truly think they are a glitch in algo cause they only affect:

) 2-3 years old sites
    ) top #3 sites
    ) sites ranking high for lots of keywords

I must be a glitch.

AND YET, enlightened newbies insist its too much links with same anchor.

scubita, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  2. fishfinder

fishfinder Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm highly doubtful that its backlinks scubita........

But maybe you could enlighten me as to what may cause a -50 or -60 penalty....

aside from a google glitch!

fishfinder, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If he knew that he would be Matt Cutts :eek:

.......and thankfully there is only one of him....

There are just a few reasonable explanations as to what the penalty is if indeed it is one.

1. Buying links - However I think if they caught this it would be a much more harsh penalty where sites would fall several hundred positions.

2. Dupe content issues......a more minor issue that would likely have a minimal penalty applied.

However with the site ages and positions effected what is more apt to be the problem is a screw up with one of the two items noted above from Matt Cutts blog.....

the google bomb detector seems a likely one, since it would be run over the sites in the top results, which seem to be the same sites that have fallen 5 pages of results.

;)

Sem-Advance, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  4. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    I posted about this issue here at DP at 28th October 2008. From that day till today, hundreds of relevant + old + trusted sites with unique content, no link building schemes, not selling and/or buying links, GOT HAMMERED.

Every time a webmaster checks this kind of "penalty" there is always some major changes in top results for same keywords. Always. And there is always a major update in local/regional datacenters. You guys seem to forget that even Matt Cutts said it happened a glitch first days of November... and that issue was correted.

Not True. That glitch never got corrected! Its always happening! Almost everyday we see threads about it in here. "Got -50 penalized"...

Not penalized: we got stuck in the middle of Google's mess. Shit, they even got all sites as "harmful" 4 days ago...!

Google is losing it.

scubita, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  5. kianah

kianah Peon

Best Answers:
    show me a so-called "innocent" site that has been penalized and I will show you problems with the site that could have caused the trigger in the algo.

kianah, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  6. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    First can you explain how an algorithm such as Googles' works???

Since there is only one penalty that Google applies, and it is a full ban of a website...

Everything else is a filter that is applied.....;)

I have doubts you understand nearly enough to offer substantial information as to what effects a site. So that is my reason for asking...

7. kianah

kianah Peon

Best Answers:
    You're talking semantics. Full ban aka de-indexing of a site is not a penalty, it's a ban. Game over. A penalty does not mean game over, it means time out.

Having all of your keywords pushed back to the 5th page including a trademark suppressing (meaning if your site is www.bluewidgets.com and you type in google "bluewidgets: and you rank on the 5th page for your domain name, is not a filter. It's a penalty. Time out until you fix the issues.

Call it what you want though.

kianah, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  8. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Actually I am not. Go read Matt Cutts blog from the beginning and you will learn the difference and that there is one penalty and one penalty only.

Further you implied you could determine what occurred in the algo to determine why so called innocent sites were hurt.

I noticed you conveniently skipped that, and decided to lecture me on what a penalty is :rolleyes:

I'll give you a little hint.....spikes, aberrations, and filters...

I'll be waiting for you to explain how Google uses the above within the algorithm.....

:)

9. kianah

kianah Peon

Best Answers:
    Gee, thanks for the hint. Apparently you haven't suffered from a penalty or "filter" as you call it or you wouldnt refer to the devastating loss of traffic as a filter. It's a penalty and you need to plead with google to lift the penalty because you're really sorry and will be a good boy for now on. Again call it whatever you like and if you like also take Matt Cutts word as god. The reality is, hes a mouthpiece for Google and not on the side of SEOs. Google wants SEOs to completely go away. They make their money off PPC plain and simple.

I've helped several sites recover from google penalties so I have a pretty good idea as to what causes the triggers.

If you read what I said, I said show me a site you claim is an innocent casualty of a google penalty and I will show you problems with the site. Give me a URL.

kianah, Feb 4, 2009 IP
    gardenoasis likes this.
  10. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    I've helped a 100,000+ page canadian pharmacy site recover from google ban. Why none of my sites are suffering from this is beyond me and not my concern here.

I despise Matt Cutts and most of what he preaches but he does on once in a blue moon offer facts on what a penalty is verse filters, what an update is as compared to a data set update.

Google actually makes its money from SEO and here is why.

Without the organic SERP results pages which they host at their expense and requires no fee to list your site(s) there. (Yellow Pages charged for a business listing on their pages for years)

The reason they do this freely and absorbing the expense is so that they can have inventory to place their paid ads on.

Without the organic SERP pages... Google would not exist as it does today.

Peace!

11. rselic

rselic Peon

Best Answers:
    The same thing is happening to us! Our site was on page 1 and 2 for major keywords in a VERY competitive niche. It was thrown to page 6 - nothing happened, site was up and running. However, our backlink count had dropped but that comes and goes. Anyway, the sites above us are weird spammy sites, some of them pages for departments of different universities! There is even a result from superpages.com. It's outrageous really.

We were thinking of submitting the site for reinclusion, but we're not sure. What do you guys think?

rselic, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  12. shyboy

shyboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We were struck by the -50 penalty last year. If I am completely honest with myself, we relied on unethical SEO practices which included theme sponsoring, blog spamming and more. We went on the advice of a "professional" SEO and we had excellent results in Google.... until the penalty that is. Basically, anything you do to try and artificially game the system is counted as black hat and you should avoid doing it. So many here are looking for the quick fix and then come here moaning (like I did) when things go wrong. YOU made the mistake, YOU should take it like a man and YOU should clean up your act and learn from your mistake.

Like someone else said here, y9ou will need to show Google that you are doing everything in your power to fix the problems you have caused. I for example spent two weeks emailing every webmaster I could find that had our spammy link on his site and asked for it to be removed. Only a small percentage replied, but I could prove to Google on my re-submission request that I tried my best, and, eventually, (2 weeks) they lifted the ban.

Our business is quite dependent on Google so we have really cleaned up our act and no longer buy link or do other things which are against the T&Cs. I suggest you do the same. I know it’s not what you want to hear, but it’s the best way in the long run. If you do a search on my username, you will see that I hardly ever look or post here any more. Just thought ill give you my input on this. Good luck.

shyboy, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  13. fishfinder

fishfinder Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the input shyboy. I'm in the process of cleaning up a bunch of things on the affected site. I'm really only doing so because I need to have something to show google that I have tried to rectify the problem. Then I'll be submitting a request.

fishfinder, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  14. APHPDeveloper

APHPDeveloper Active Member

Best Answers:
    HMMM,

Okies can you actually submit a reinclusion request if you have only drop 50 places?

Thats not a reinclusion request!

Cheers,

Simon

APHPDeveloper, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  15. afbinter

afbinter Peon

Best Answers:
    I as well got the page5/6 penalty/filter. Exactaly the same as the other stories, ranking first page for months and suddenly dropped 4/5 pages. It happend to 8 sites (not hosted on same ip, no interlinking), all on the same day. So i dont think its a manual penalty but a filter, since it happend on the same day for all 8 sites.

So i'm sure i triggered a filter or google is using a new one. All 8 sites where involved in link buying, in content links. My guess is that i used the same anchor to many times which triggered it.

My question now is what to do? Will building more links but with different achors set the balance straight? Seems logical to me since i'm sure the google filter counts the anchors. If the balance isnt natural (high percentage same anchors) the filter is activated.

afbinter, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  16. diaadriansyah

diaadriansyah Peon

Best Answers:
    My site still waiting for recondition

diaadriansyah, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  17. fishfinder

fishfinder Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you've been penalized, you can submit a reCONSIDERATION request.

fishfinder, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  18. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Well since you have not be kicked out of the index then you are already included.....

Reinclusion would mean your site was Banned and you want to have your site re-included.

:)

Your not penalized there is a filter applied for whatever reason but your site is included in the index.....

Remember forums are a haven for misinformation....Basically its like asking schoolchildren for legal advice. :eek:

Sem-Advance, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  19. shoedeluxe

shoedeluxe Peon

Best Answers:
    Hoping to get the discussion going again.

Exact situation here. Two of my sites suddenly dropped all keyword rankings to page 5/6 since november 2008, on the same day. Did not do any sudden significant link building in the period up to that, although there are quite a lot same anchor text links. Must almost be an automatic filter/penalty (not manual), with so many similar stories here.

So what to do? Add new links with different anchor text? Any suggestions?

Hoping for some input or similar stories/experiences.

shoedeluxe, Feb 11, 2009 IP
  20. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Are these affiliate sites?

All filters that are applied are done via the algorithm.

Only manual work done is a hand ban for overzealous spamming.

Google cannot control billions of pages by hand.....please remember this important fact. They use the algorithm and apply filters for many many webmaster ill fated thoughts....

Think of any major event and how many people their are in attendance verse how many security staff there are.....

Google operates in the same manner.... a few guards (filters) to control the masses (webmasters)

Let me know about the affiliate issue...

Sem-Advance, Feb 11, 2009 IP