1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NO REFUND? Even when the category is not in Google's index?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bobmutch, Jun 28, 2006.

I just want to know what you all thing of this. I submitted a site to Tanya's directories and the category pages I was put on was were not in the Google index.

On a closer look I noticed they were also all (all but 2 or 3 I think) were in the Google supplemental index.

They kindly took the time to remove the site when I requested, which I am thankful for, but I was shocked to find out they wouldn't refund the money.

Personally I consider this pretty unprofessional considering I have added up about 35 sites to Tanya's directories in the last 6 months or so.

Needless to say I don't think I will be adding any more sites there.

What do you think a directory editors or owner should do if the category they add you up to isn't in the Google index and you request a refund?

Am I off base here, or did I just get ripped off?

bobmutch, Jun 28, 2006 IP
    pipes likes this.
  2. urbanstereotype

urbanstereotype Peon

Best Answers:
    let them know that they have lost a valued customer. im sure they will reconsider.

urbanstereotype, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  3. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I see a couple things wrong here.

First, did the directory claim that the page you would be listed would absolutely be listed in Google? Probably not, since they can't control what Google indexes and doesn't. Also, Google has some weird days, where it will seem to drop alot of indexed pages of a site and then next day, all are back in the index. This not the directory owners fault. Also, why not check Google's indexing before submitting yourself to avoid situations like this one.

Second, although I think you were off-base requesting a refund for this, I think the directory owner should have simply removed you listing and refunded your money. Seems like the professional thing to do.

EveryQuery, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  4. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    urbanstereotype:

>>>let them know that they have lost a valued customer. im sure they will reconsider.

Well I think I am gone now any way as when I look at all of the directories I was added to almost all of them are in Google supplemental index. So I am kind of glad I looked seeing how I didn't notice that before and I am guessing it happened with Big Daddy update.

PortProphecy:

>>>First, did the directory claim that the page you would be listed would absolutely be listed in Google?

No one can do that for of course not. But 33 out of 35 directories the category pages where no where to be found in Google?

Looks like to me either the editor didn't check or didn't care. But again I didn't check either. Egg on the face, the client caught it.

So another good thing came out of this. We need check all directories categories we sub to to make sure they are in the Google index.

>>>Also, why not check Google's indexing before submitting yourself to avoid situations like this one.

We didn't submit. We email it to the editor Debbie and she submits.

>>>Second, although I think you were off-base requesting a refund for this...

I don't agree on that one but you I agree with some of your other points. I couldn't image submitting some ones site to 35 directories and 33 of the categories not being in Google's index and then offering a refund when it was pointed out.

5. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    :eek: Ok. Did you say 35 directories?! :eek:

Google may be consider some of these as duplicates.

Did you say 35 directories?! :eek:

What kind of fee did you pay for this? When you requested a refund, what was the response you got, if any?

Yea, after reading your second post, I don't agree with me either. :p

6. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    PortProphecy:

>>>What kind of fee did you pay for this?

The directories are all $5 directories so retail is $175. I got a discount but I don't want to post that here.

>>>When you requested a refund, what was the response you got, if any?

The editor Debbie told me it wasn't there policy to give refunds and that they change for removing sites also but offered to do that for free. I was thankful for that.

I emailed Tanya the owner of the company and asked for a refund and tell her I thought it was poor service to not give one. And I was denied again.

For me it was more the principle of the thing than the money.

Kind of in a way it worked out good cause before this I wasn't ware that the directories were almost all in Google supplemental index.

Any way live and learn I guess.

7. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    Wow. Everything about this screams scam artists. :mad: Thanks for sharing your story though. Hopefully others will not be burned in the same way. By the way, I did a Google search for Tanya's Directories and came up with this:

http://www.dmof.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136&page=1&pp=10

I assume this is what Bob used. Thought I'd post it here so we all know what directories you were talking about.

8. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you are not happy with the way they are indexing, you will most likely not return anyway, so they have no reason in refund your money. Unless they have it in the TOS, you really have no recourse. Might as well just kept them in for the traffic which should be the "real" reson for buying links... Good luck

ServerUnion, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  9. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    Those 35 directories don't seem like they will get anyone any traffic. For one thing, there isn't one direcotry on that list I've heard of, so that's strange. Also, not one has an Alexa ranking under about 400,000. THAT'S really strange considering mostly webmasters visit directories, the type of people most likely to have Alexa installed. PR on these sites is terrible, especially internally. A quick check of backlinks on these sites, and you will see the owner obviously isn't doing much to promote these sites or get better PR.

10. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    ServerUnion:

>>>Might as well just kept them in for the traffic which should be the "real" reson for buying links...

Well if a site is in the sup index they are not going to be getting much traffic now are they. That that is not even meantioning the issue of anti-trust have having links pointed to your site from sites that would be considered spammy.

>>>Since you are not happy with the way they are indexing, you will most likely not return anyway, so they have no reason in refund your money.

If they have poor business ethics then they have no reason. If they care about getting reported to BBB, bad press, negtive feeling, or just being a professional company and putting the customer first then I would think they would refund.

PortProphecy:

>>>A quick check of backlinks on these sites, and you will see the owner obviously isn't doing much to promote these sites or get better PR.

Tanya did note she is or is planning to do more promotion on the directories but even if she does that doesn't fix my problem. I am still out my money : (

11. wheel

wheel Peon

Best Answers:
    First, if you're submitting to a directory, you're generally paying for the review, not a guaranteed submission.

Seems like they spent the time to review your site. They should do this work for free?

Then, they listed your site - and you later changed your mind about the site. Why would they refund your money after they've not only done the work as promised, but did extra work (at your request) for no additional money?

It seems like you screwed up, didn't like the product you bought even though you had ample opportunity to check it out before paying, then don't want to pay for their services. You screwed up, not them. I really don't see why you should be screaming hardship when they did everything they promised, you just changed your mind.

Worst, they might have refunded your money just to keep you happy. And maybe they should have. But coming to a public forum and trying to smear them, well that's just unwarranted. The fact is, they didn't do anything wrong.

wheel, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  12. goodgirl

goodgirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Bob,

It appears to me that you are trying to put your responsibility to your clients on us, and we will not be accepting this responsibility. You have been using us (at a discounted rate) for a year, so for you to suddenly decide that you are not getting the value you had hoped seems rather ridiculous.

I see that you have already taken it upon yourself to start your campaign against us on DP, so at this point it would be pointless to even consider offering a refund of any type.

As I stated to you already, I'm sorry your client changed their minds. I just updated the directories a couple weeks ago to help improve category listings. And the directories were like that before you ordered (someone was nice enough to point this out to me when it started http://www.dmof.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87 and it is why I did the update).

I figure any good SEO would at least check the categories they are submitting to before submitting. We get paid for spending the time to put the links in the directories the where our clients want them, which we did. We give you much more then any other client. We do not do word docs, most other SEO companies check the listings themselves and make their own sheet where the links are. We also have ALWAYS gave you great price, which we do for NOBODY ELSE. I'm sorry if you see that is poor customer service, but we do not give any of the EXTRA service we give you to anybody else.

We spent time doing our job. We cannot keep giving you extra and you keep expecting more. I'm sorry that you feel you have to have a refund on this, but we did do our part.

Tanya

goodgirl, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  13. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    wheel:

>>>First, if you're submitting to a directory, you're generally paying for the review, not a guaranteed submission.

You are paying for a review. Many directories offer a refund if they don't add you up. Tanya's directories do as far as I know.

>>>Seems like they spent the time to review your site. They should do this work for free?

Many directories do give a refund. I do on my directories and on all my submission services. If its not accepted there are no changes. So I say yes.

>>>Then, they listed your site - and you later changed your mind about the site.

They put me in a category where 33/35 of the sites the category page wasn't in the Google index. That is pretty poor to start with in my view. To add insulting to injury they refused a refund.

>>>Why would they refund your money after they've not only done the work as promised, but did extra work (at your request) for no additional money?

It doesn't make for happy customers to post there site in categories that arn't in the Google index. That is one good reason there.

>>>It seems like you screwed up, didn't like the product you bought even though you had ample opportunity to check it out before paying, then don't want to pay for their services.

I wouldn't say I messed up. I would say considering the poor quality service I should have done more due diliagence. It was a complete shock to me to find out there was no refund. I wouldn't even dream of doing that to one of my customers.

>>>You screwed up, not them.

I don't think they messed up. Just I think they should give a refund with the quality of the product is this low.

>>>I really don't see why you should be screaming hardship...

No screaming here. I am cool calm and collective : ) And like I noted earily it's not the money it's the principle.

>>>Worst, they might have refunded your money just to keep you happy.

No I got turned down 4 times. Twice by Debbie and twice by Tayan.

>>>And maybe they should have.

I agree, they should have.

>>>But coming to a public forum and trying to smear them, well that's just unwarranted.

No smear here. Just the facts in a professional business manner.

>>>The fact is, they didn't do anything wrong.

I disagree on that one.

14. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Bob, I kind agree with Tanya you of all people should be using due diligence prior to submitting to any directory to make sure the link is all you hoped for. A directory owner doesnt have the responsiblity of ensuring every category page is cached. I know how ya feel though, I had the same thing happen to me. Bit of a different circumstance though, the seller was selling PR6 links. I didnt even think twice to check the page was indexed (being PR6 links and all) and low and behold the page my link lands on wasn't cached.

dcristo, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  15. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    dcristo:

>>>Bob, I kind agree with Tanya you of all people should be using due diligence prior to submitting to any directory to make sure the link is all you hoped for. A directory owner doesnt have the responsiblity of ensuring every category page is cached.

I do also. We should check every category to make sure it is in the Google cache. That was our fault. Before and after. We didn't on either.

But that's not the problem. The problem for me is I asked for a refund due to the client didn't like the directories and was concerned he would get anti-trust from having this site in the directories. He didn't want another category he wanted a refund. His main issue was that most if not all of the directories are in the Google sup index which is a very bad sign.

I agreed to the refund right away seeing that is my policy. I see the value of repeat business and am always quick to do my best to make the customer happy. No questions asked.

What my issue is that even though I have purchase 35 submissions over the last 6 months that I was not given a refund in the case of a disadisfied customer.

So while I agree with Tanya on the above issue I surely don't on the issue of no refund.

16. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    goodgirl:

>>>It appears to me that you are trying to put your responsibility to your clients on us, and we will not be accepting this responsibility. You have been using us (at a discounted rate) for a year, so for you to suddenly decide that you are not getting the value you had hoped seems rather ridiculous.

Not at all. My only issue is that I am not happy with the product and don't consider it quality and I asked for a refund. You have refused.

As for your other comments I have answer those issues in your email so I don't see the need to rehash those.

17. goodgirl

goodgirl Guest

Best Answers:

This is my point. If you would of took the time, you wouldn't of been spending money on our time.

And you didn't ask me for a refund, you demanded it. On top of that, I have told you before, Debbie is the CEO. You don't have to go to me after you asked her for a refund already. She does all the processing of the orders, and she does it fast. Our clients have appreciated the time and the speed of our processing. And your company being a directory submission service, I would think you of all people would of known better to check.

I cannot assume why different companies choose to submit to us. Everyone has different reasons. I do think it is unreasonable that you believe we should be checking things for your clients. I do value my clients, anyone that knows or has worked with me before knows that. And I valued your business, that is why you got the discount you did.

But I will refund you out of my own pocket, since you insist that you didn't need to check these things before you submit to us.

I'm sorry you don't see the time we put into processing orders, I really am.

Tanya

18. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't have expected a refund based upon listings appearing on indexed pages, I think that's asking too much. But, then again, if I were doing the businesses it appears Multch has been doing with them I would have (maybe) expected a break here and there.

Personally, refund or not, it looks like goodgirl has a pretty good program. I think I'll submit a few sites over there.

PS - more link building for those directories would be nice.

mdvaldosta, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  19. goodgirl

goodgirl Guest

Best Answers:
    He was getting a really good price for submitting to us. As far as I'm concerned it is taken care of.

Link building we are working on that. I also seen some more updates I will be doing. But have seen improvement with them since the issue started a few weeks ago. It will be at least another week before I get to that, but it will get done.

Currently working on a new project that is very unique, I put my 9 years of experience into this one. Everything I know is good will be working with this, very unique :) . I'm hoping to have that finished this week.

Is the political forum yours? My husband has a political blog, he has a few articles on it.

20. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    goodgirl:

>>>And you didn't ask me for a refund, you demanded it.

Yes that is correct, SEO Compnay asked the first 2 times and when we were refused then yes I demanded a refund from from Debbie and then from you!

>>>On top of that, I have told you before, Debbie is the CEO. You don't have to go to me after you asked her for a refund already.

I understand Debbie is running the directories. We ask her first and when she refused we demanded a refund and when she refused our demands all we could do is go to the owner which is you.

>>>...since you insist that you didn't need to check these things before you submit to us.

I believe my position that you even quotes is as follows. "We should check every category to make sure it is in the Google cache. That was our fault. Before and after. We didn't on either."

>>>I'm sorry you don't see the time we put into processing orders, I really am.

I process submissions and I am well aware of how long it takes to submit to directories. My company has two full time editors that are adding clients sites to a number of directories every day.