1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you forum admins get your Mods?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by mmurtha, Jan 26, 2009.

I have 2 forums, and need a couple of Moderators for at least one of them.

I used to own 4 of them before I sold them, and I got most of the Mods for these 4 by asking some of the members. But for the forum I need the Mods for is mostly full of new people. I need people that are knowledgable about VB and how to run a marketplace.

How do you guys get Mods for your forums?

Thanks ...

mmurtha, Jan 26, 2009 IP
    buffalo and MunnaMobile like this.
  2. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Pay them. ;)

buffalo, Jan 26, 2009 IP
    mmurtha and MunnaMobile like this.
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Paying them is one option.

Why not start a thread on your forum asking for members to apply to be a moderator? I'm sure some members would jump at the opportunity.

dcristo, Jan 26, 2009 IP
    MunnaMobile and mmurtha like this.
  4. mmurtha

mmurtha Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Buffalo and dcristo,

I've thought about paying people, but I want to know where to get some knowledgable people that can Mod.

As I mentioned, 90% of the active members are new people that aren't that knowledgable in marketing, how to run a marketplace, what to look for, or knows VBulletin.

And if I ask here in DP ... well, it just doesn't seem right in someone else's forum.

Got any ideas how to get in touch with some people that can do the job?

I wonder if putting up some ads in a few classifieds might do the trick?

Thanks btw ...

mmurtha, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I got my first mod position not because I knew the topic or the software...I got it because I KNEW the community!

Look for members that...
    • actively report posts
    • are level headed in debates
    • are 'community' minded
    Those three things are all top quality things that make a mod. Once they can show that, then go on to the less important things...
    • Understand your forum platform (that's what got me my first admin position, because I hung out on vb.com and read the manual)
    • Experience in being a moderator (ask for references, then check them!)
    • Know the topic of the forum (in your case marketing).
    You want someone that WILL be or COULD be a good mod, not necessarily someone that IS a good mod. If you get a fresh face, then you can train them!

Set up a "forum leaders" group with limited power and once they are trained promote them to a full moderator. Or at least start them off with one or two specific forums then promote them to mod ALL over the forum.

It is important though to make sure that moderators can NOT hard delete posts! (soft deletes are ok).

When you ask people to be a mod, make sure they know it's on a TRIAL basis... that way if they suck, then you can demote them without all the hard feelings... some still be there, but you run less of a chance of loosing a top member.

And remember high post count does NOT mean they will be a good mod. One of my best mods has only 100 posts or so.

Qryztufre, Jan 27, 2009 IP
    mmurtha likes this.
  6. mmurtha

mmurtha Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Qryztufre,

Yup, all you said is true, and I can and do appreciate what you are saying. I know because That's how I normally get my Mods. But the truth is, I don't have the time at the moment to train new people and wait for them to season up.

This si why I was asking where I can find a couple. So it's more about where then what to look for in the end with me at the moment.

Thanks a heap for the good solid post though. ;)

Mary

mmurtha, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Find one or two then... make them super mods, and follow their advice in picking the rest of the team. All you need to do is have a higher trust in one member then watch the rest when you get some spare time.

Qryztufre, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  8. t-rent

t-rent Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking at who's active is a good way. Look through their posts. If someone is posting thoughtful/intelligent content, not just garbage posts, then chances are that person is vested in your community since they are taking time with their posts.

Approach that person. In my 6 years of forum experience I have made mod's out of users who had no mod experience. I didn't really need to train them, they had questions along the way but those only took a minute or two to answer. It has worked out well and they have been successful mod's for many years now.

t-rent, Jan 31, 2009 IP
    mmurtha likes this.
  9. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would first recommend looking within your community.

If that is not a viable option for you, then you could resort to online webmaster or administrator communities such as this one, or The Admin Zone to recruit an expert that suits your needs.

NickR25, Jan 31, 2009 IP
    mmurtha likes this.
  10. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I sticky a thread in my Site News and Feedback area with an application to fill out. Anytime I want I can go into that thread and view possible people I want for the position.

Here is an example: Forum Moderator Application Thread

RectangleMan, Feb 1, 2009 IP
    mmurtha and MunnaMobile like this.
  11. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I like that idea. Apply for the position. Of course, they would have to meet certain membership criteria beforehand.

Also, you could have your current members nominate moderators, or, you could approach a good member and just ask them :)

I don't think there needs to be any money exchanged if the moderator enjoys doing it :)

Karen May Jones, Feb 1, 2009 IP
    mmurtha likes this.
  12. mmurtha

mmurtha Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Qryztufre, t-rent, NickR25, Recktangleman, and JoyGoRound,

Yeah, I like all of your ideas. They are very good and useful, thanks a lot for the feedback.

Hey JoyGoRound,

I'd like to see no money having to be exchanged, but I don't think that's possible with a creaw that is on the forum at the moment. I had to find someone outside the forum that knows a little more about marketing, and has administration skills.

It worked out though because I think I found someone for a reasonable price that is working out well so far.

Thanks a lot everyone, it means a lot to me. ;)

Mary

mmurtha, Feb 3, 2009 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  13. mrdo

mrdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First you must work hard, when your forum comes strong and crowed, MODs will come without paid :D

mrdo, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  14. mmurtha

mmurtha Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, I agree lol. They will come, but I have some marketing to get done at the moment, and need the Mod, and the only way to get one that knows something about the position, has experience, and knows about marketing is to pay for one.

Lol that's unless you are vulentering to do it for nothing. J/K! ;)

Mary

mmurtha, Feb 3, 2009 IP