1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it true that outbound links hurt PR?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by martin2min, Feb 2, 2009.

I have been creating websites for some time but only recently decided to ditch the "only thing I need is content" mantra and focus on SEO, page rank, indexing etc. I have started a website (you can check it out at http://getsomepaper.blogspot.com and tell me what you think) and decided I will focus on marketing as well as content this time.

Recently I read an article about how Google calculates page rank and it focused quite a lot on how outbound links from your site are actually detrimental to your sites page rank with google. I do not remember the site I read this on but I just wanted to see if anyone had any information on this.

PS: any comments or positive criticism about my site would be greatly appreciated.

martin2min, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  2. di4n

di4n Peon

Best Answers:
    You should have balance for your blog link both outbond link and inbound link. Too many outbound link but low inbound link will hurt your PR

di4n, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  3. linkpopularitymatters

linkpopularitymatters Guest

Best Answers:
    All outbound links leak Page Rank. But there are few ways of linking to other sites that don't result in leaks. Page Rank is leaked when Google recognizes a link to another site. You can use links that Google doesn't recognize or count. These are

Form actions
    A form's 'action' attribute does not need to be the url of a form parsing script. It can point to any html page on any site.
    Example:

<form name="myform" action="http://www.domain.com/somepage.html">
    <a href="javascript:document.myform.submit()">Click here</a>
    To be really sneaky, the action attribute could be in some JavaScript code rather than in the form tag, and the JavaScript code could be loaded from a 'js' file stored in a directory that is barred to Google's spider by the robots.txt file.

JavaScript

Example: <a href="javascript:goto('wherever')">Click here</a>

Like the form action, it is sneaky to load the JavaScript code, which contains the urls, from a separate 'js' file, and sneakier still if the file is stored in a directory that is barred to googlebot by the robots.txt file.

The "rel" attribute

The attribute "rel" is used as follows:-

<a href="http://www.domain.com/somepage.html" rel="nofollow">link text</a>
    The attribute tells Google to ignore the link completely. The link won't help the target page's Page Rank, and it won't help its rankings. It is as though the link doesn't exist. With this attribute, there is no longer any need for JavaScript, forms, or any other method of hiding links from Google.

Source : http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank.html

linkpopularitymatters, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  4. atniz

atniz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are no way anyone can calculate page rank. You can use this chart as a guidance only: http://www.smartpagerank.com/pagerank-calculation-chart.php

If you talk about page rank or google concern, the more outgoing links will hurt you only if the outgoing link is dofollow. I think you know how to check dofollow and nofollow links. (Just right click on any links in your blog and click "properties" and check if there is nofollow attribute in the properties)

It does not make any changes if it is related to other search engines.

atniz, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  5. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no such thing as balance.
    It is pure math and you don't leak PageRank as the other guys said.
    Let's say you have 10 link (from other sites) pointing to your site's front page (yoursite.com/index.htm).
    Unless your site gets banned by Google you can add 100s of outbound links without hurting your PageRank.
    But most sites have more than 1 page (e.g. yoursite.com/page.htm). Now, if you have one outgoing link on your front page and one link to your other page, this page will only get half the PageRank it would get if you had zero outgoing links.
    So to answer your question (Is it true that outbound links hurt PR?), it is both yes and no. It doesn't affect the page the links are on, but the pages it is linking to.

siflur, Feb 3, 2009 IP
    meaghannf likes this.
  6. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    more outbound links cause problem and the link is to some bad site will kill urs site traffic. And also Google do not like much outbound links bcz treat u as link seller.. better add rel=nofollow on urs outbound link. IF SE found this flag will ignore...

rena, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  7. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, Google Doesn't like that? What about their directory (directory.google.com)? 1000s of outgoing links.

siflur, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  8. seodetectors07

seodetectors07 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well as according to google the algo defines that there must not outbound link or there can be some of them..........as google says that you need to have some of the outbound links otherwise it will mean that you are isolated......

seodetectors07, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  9. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When have they ever said something like that?

siflur, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  10. meaghannf

meaghannf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is by far the best description of why external links can hurt your page rank that I've seen on this site. Very well worded and I absolutely agree.

meaghannf, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  11. Mr.Dee

Mr.Dee Peon

Best Answers:
    Silfur, you are cracking me up. Are you seriously asking someone to BACKUP their SEO "expertise" with evidence? Don't you know this is a forum? All you have to do is say something and it's "true".

I bet you're making more $$$ than most. If not, you will be. :)

Mr.Dee, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  12. Joseph S

Joseph S Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have good original content and links from popular sites, everything will be OK.

Joseph S, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  13. poison17

poison17 Member

Best Answers:
    where you have this information from ? Or you just answer just to give an opinion ? Please give further information ? Why 40 links ? And not 3 ? or 200 ?

poison17, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  14. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, normally I wouldn't. But he said he was quoting Google and that is a bit over the line ;).
    Sadly, you often get the feeling of being in a wide open desert on this forum :(

Anyway, thanks for the kind words (and yes, I am on the winning team).
    Have a great day,
    Siflur

siflur, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  15. siflur

siflur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, you are welcome :)

siflur, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  16. tellymoore24

tellymoore24 Banned

Best Answers:
    Limit your outbound links within 40 .....................

tellymoore24, Feb 5, 2009 IP