1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do You Allow Yahoo to Index Your Forum Site?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Bohol, Jan 26, 2009.

Do You Allow Yahoo to Index Your Forum Site? I don't. I block the bot using noindex meta and robots disallow.

Yahoo's slurp is too aggressive. One time, Yahoo crashes my server. Yahoo should index sites like Google does. Smooth. Non-aggressive. Suave.

Bohol, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am considering blocking Yahoo! slurp too. I get so little traffic I hardly think it's worth it. I get more traffic from a forum signature than Yahoo. MSN brings me more traffic.

RectangleMan, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  3. t-rent

t-rent Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course I let Yahoo index my forums. 95% of my traffic from SE's is from Google but every visit from other SE's helps!

So what if you get minimal traffic from Yahoo, that minimal traffic could turn into new participating members on your forum. That's something no forum owner should be passing up, as that's how forums grow. You need to tap into all arena's of traffic.

I am on shared hosting with a very active/trafficed forum. I have NEVER had any issue's with Yahoo indexing my site. If your host can't handle it then I think it's time to find a better host.

t-rent, Jan 31, 2009 IP
  4. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello t-rent, can you tell us who your host is? Where can I see your active forum site?

Bohol, Jan 31, 2009 IP
    Foggy likes this.
  5. davidmethew

davidmethew Active Member

Best Answers:
    Allowing Yahoo will be best option so far I think

davidmethew, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  6. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    It's easy to say that, but until you experienced what I did, you will never say this statement again. Yahoo is very aggressive. Its boots can go wild and eat your server resources. Trust me, been there, done that.

Bohol, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  7. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Every month my forum gets around 8,000 - 10,000 uniques from yahoo. This makes it my 3rd or 4th highest source of traffic. I would have to be nuts to block yahoo and loose that many visitors every month.

If yahoo pulls your server down that much, maybe you need a bigger server? I'am not trying to be rude, but seriously. Is your server running at near maximum right now? On average my server uses around 50% - 75% of its resources. This leaves 25% - 50% free resources at all times. My server averages around 30% free resources. Out of 1.1 gigs of memory, I usually have around 300+ megs free.

If the yahoo bot can bring your site down with a normal crawl, what would a surge in traffic do? If your server is right there on the edge, maybe you need to upgrade your hosting package?

~kev~, Feb 12, 2009 IP