1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ok to create a site on merchant product before applying?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by rowelle, Jan 31, 2009.

I'm new to CJ and wanted to know if it's okay and normal for people to create websites to promote a specific product or service and then applying to be that merchant affiliate?

There's a few domains that I have purchased and am working on the layouts right now. I plan on applying and hopefully being approved for it. The site won't have any traffic and no working links (links will become affiliate links if approved). If approved, that's when I'll start promoting the sites.

Is this normal? I'm not sure if merchants need your site to have traffic first. I'm also not sure if they don't accept sites that are specifically made for that product: For example if I want to promote iTunes, I would have to have a site relating to music instead of a site focusing on selling iTunes products. You know what I mean?

I just don't want to waste my time and money building sites for a specific product and/or service if that's not even allowed.

Any info would be great :)

Thanks!

rowelle, Jan 31, 2009 IP
    filmsec likes this.
  2. filmsec

filmsec Peon

Best Answers:
    Most merchants will not allow you to have their name in your url nor to bid on their name.

Some merchants have manual approval, itunes do, so they are looking for content before approval, others have auto approval, so are not so fussy.

Why don't you apply to merchants then set up your sites around your approved merchants? If you get turned down you can always apply again.

filmsec, Jan 31, 2009 IP
  3. JLakes

JLakes Peon

Best Answers:
    Great question.
    I am a firm believer in building sites around an affiliate product or company. I think that is the best way to really integrate the advertiser into the site.

That being said I know LinkShare will let you into the affiliate network without much or any content on your site. iTunes might be a lot harder. A trick that worked for me was use another LinkShare account for a site that was done to apply for iTunes, once accepted I used the other accounts access to build the new site. Then I applied to iTunes with the new site and once approved i just did a search and replace to replace all the other site's ID in the affiliate links. Probably not 100% legit I would imagine that LinkShare/iTunes has bigger and better things to do.

Your other solution is to build the site with another similar product until you have a critical mass. Use Amazon.com's MP3 store for this.

FYI - I liked this question so much that I used it in a FAQ for a book that I just published - Mastering the iTunes Affiliate Program.
    http://masteringitunes.com/itunes-affiliate-frequently-asked-questions/

JLakes, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  4. DatingGold Colin

DatingGold Colin Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that you're probably okay...chances are you can find another affiliate if it doesn't work out.

That being said, I would probably only design the "skeleton" of the site...all the hard work is usually done by actually linking in and talking about the "product" so I wouldn't do that until I could see the tools the sponsor supplies.

Personally, I design websites for the end user and not the affiliate program. If you design a site that the end user loves...the affiliate programs sell themselves...and not the other way around. Just my .02 though.

DatingGold Colin, Oct 16, 2009 IP