1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Freelancing sites

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by wordfeed, Jan 1, 2009.

Hi all,
    I just keep browsing on the net looking for sites that offer freelance work in website design and graphics..I came over sites like GAF, Scriptlance etc..But what i found is for freshers i feel it is a tougher place to adjust since the competition nowadays is really crap.. So can anyone suggest a few sites where you think has less competition and freshers get projects?

Regards

wordfeed, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  2. Anttila

Anttila Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it's tough competition on those websites especially if you're starting your business.

For me, it has been easier to just contact companies that might need the services. If you're able to deliver good results it won't take long before new customers will come to you because of referrals and good reputation. If you go to freelance websites price becomes the only advantage if you don't have references/reputation. That means working for almost free.

Anttila, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  3. coverscorp

coverscorp Banned

Best Answers:
    for anttila,

I agree with you:)
    I think freelance website is to train your skills.

great advice

coverscorp, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  4. Anttila

Anttila Peon

Best Answers:
    Yoy're absolutely right, those are great places for training. If you're able win contracts with a good price and reputation you have to be really good on what you do. As a beginner I wouldn't rely solely on freelancing websites thou.

Anttila, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  5. wordfeed

wordfeed Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes....i had my try at a few freelance sites...Sucks for me though....placed bids..but the competition is so huge and as u said "Work for free" stuff..I am still trying my luck at the newly started sites like studentfl etc but still getting over is tough.

wordfeed, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  6. joomlavm

joomlavm Peon

Best Answers:
    try to this:freelancerchina.com

joomlavm, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  7. yxhuang

yxhuang Peon

Best Answers:
    Instead of placing bid on a freelance website, I placed my ad to craigslist.org. I do multi-lingual graphic design and translation and I actually got most responds from there which people really hired me to work for them after viewing my website and attachment samples. And the offers are never as ridiculous as in this community.

I am new in here and I'll be honest with you that the job offering in this place are mostly so dirt cheap. I don't think a quality designer can ever compete and survive in such an environment.

Lauren

yxhuang, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  8. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    When I do freelance work my charge is a MINIMUM of $50 per hour. No way that anyone can even come close to that in a bidding war with everyone around the world.

Best bet, as Lauren suggests, is to bypass all of the competition worldwide and focus on your LOCAL area. Even if you get a TINY FRACTION of the work available in your area, you will be far busier than you ever thought possible. And once you become established, you will be able to charge what your work is WORTH, not what you must charge to low-ball the competition in India or China.

mmerlinn, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  9. Artimmi

Artimmi Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you feel like GAF and other website are full of newbies and aren't fore you, you can try your luck at higher rated places:
    elance.com
    and
    guru.com

These sites are great if you've already grown up in your skills and ready to pay monthly fees (around $150 for gold/premium subscription).
    Of course, competition there is less, as all providers are serious.

So, I found these freelances sites (especially elance.com, I'm currently working on) the best ones for now.

Artimmi, Jan 31, 2009 IP
  10. yxhuang

yxhuang Peon

Best Answers:

I totally agree with mmerlinn that you should charge what your work is worth. From this community I found that I can even hire some graphic designer TO DO MY JOB since their costs are so low.... It is terrible seeing the graphic design industry being off balance like that. Anyway, wish you the best luck in your business development.

yxhuang, Jan 31, 2009 IP
  11. xcesslogic

xcesslogic Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also agree.. elance is the best.. I have not been lucky with guru.com though yet :)

xcesslogic, Feb 3, 2009 IP