1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help in constructing a search engine

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by ichkoguy, Jan 23, 2009.

Hi guys,

I have taken up a project of constructing a new search engine. This is my academic project. So i do not have to build it very efficiently like google or yahoo. First of all i need to make it work in a very simple way. So that i can show the output and say it is working fine.

I have done with the crawling of internal links. I have decided to go with the concept of directory submission. So ultimately my results will be the url from my database matching the search phrase.

After crawling and taking a list of web pages available in my database, now i need to rank them based on the content. I may have different websites in the database. So now, i need to give them a tag saying that "This page is about education or travel or business like that". I mean the page ranking concept here.

I do not know how exactly to do that. Can anyone tell me on how to do that? because on submission, first itself i will do a work with the contents part of the site and give information and rank them. So that when a user needs something, i can immediately display the links according to the previously caluclated Page Rank concept by me.

I know many here have constructed your own search engine. So i thought it will be good for me to contact you guys and get the help. Thanks.

ichkoguy, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  2. vit

vit Peon

Best Answers:
    In other words you need categorization.
    Try this www.ClassEngine.com
    If you like it I can give you a hint what you should do.

vit, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  3. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i have a Search Engine Script THAT WORKS GREAT !

locals, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  4. ichkoguy

ichkoguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes dude. It is like page ranking according to me. So once if i analyze the contents of the webpage, i may give a description on the page like that. After concluding this, it will be easy for me to search the pages and give the results back to the users. Hope you understood it.

ichkoguy, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  5. vit

vit Peon

Best Answers:
    So how do you like classification engine?

What is this nice place which pays for this kind of projects. I can't believe it's industry.

vit, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  6. morwanneg

morwanneg Peon

Best Answers:
    Try studying the structure of searchbay.com, maybe their structure can help you generate unique ideas for your search engine project. :D

morwanneg, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  7. vit

vit Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like it's under construction. Could you explain, please,
    what is the purpose of this site?
    who should be interested and in which context in
    Most Popular Searches and Recent Searches
    Where did you get them? They should be results of processing search engine logs.

vit, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  8. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    why don't you get one of the widely available search engine scripts in php and use that as a starting point?

contentboss, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  9. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Refer to the Sphider search engine script (its in PHP), download the file and study its source code. It has the categorisation feature that you require.

http://www.sphider.eu/

On a side note, I am currently working on a search engine using the Sphider script, although its not completed yet.

Ibn Juferi, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  10. ichkoguy

ichkoguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    thank you maxx. I have made a note of your point. Will go through its contents and script.

ichkoguy, Jan 29, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.