1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting ideas for new sites

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Ponynugget, Jun 25, 2006.

There are probably numerous threads on this, but I thought it'd be best to start a fresh one.

I've implemented AdSense on my personal site and my soon-to-be-released blog hosting site. The personal site isn't doing well at all, maybe 1-3 clicks per week. I'm hoping the blog hosting site will be somewhat successful and be earning atleast a few dollars a day.

I'm trying to think of new ideas for sites. I've heard that one should build a site and focus on traffic first, which I'm going to do, but how do you get ideas for new sites and enjoying maintaining/updating them? Trying to find a suitable niche for me to build a site around on has proved to be extremely difficult. Does anyone have any tips they could share on this?

Not sure if this is in the right section of the forum, mods feel free to move it :)

Cheers.

Ponynugget, Jun 25, 2006 IP
  2. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Be careful with having Adsense ads on sites beyond your control. You never know when those blog authors might wonder, "Hey, what's this?" and start clicking those Adsense ads over and over and over...

jackburton2006, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  3. audible

audible Peon

Best Answers:
    When I am looking to start a new site based on a specific topic, I want to see what my competition is. Since you want optimal SE positioning with the least amount of competition, it'll require some research. What I typically do is to go to Google and type in search terms related to my topic of interest and see the number of results that show up.

For example, if I wanted to do a blog about weightloss and fitness, I wouldn't search for "fitness" because I know that's going to yields about 851,000,000 hits. Instead, I would rather choose a term that is similar to my topic such as "beer belly", which would yield about 7.8mil hits. Now I know what "theme" I'm going to use. Using the "beer belly" theme to build your fitness site around will be much more effective than using just a "fitness" theme.

Do this search engine technique with topics that you are interested in, it will help you find something that has the least amount of competition and a higher potential for targetted traffic.

audible, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  4. TimeIsMoney

TimeIsMoney Peon

Best Answers:
    Audible is kinda right, he's basically talking about niche markets. hehe.

TimeIsMoney, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  5. Kuraptka

Kuraptka Peon

Best Answers:
    I find new ideas for niche in everyday life. Just keep your mind open and jot down stuff as you read or hear about them.

Also check out directories and check out which sites are in categories you are interested in.

Kuraptka, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  6. audible

audible Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah... niche markets. :)
    I think most webmasters looking to make extra income are always looking for niche markets. While a successful site in an everyday niche market will bring you some extra spending money, the real money makers lie in the killerapps. Those new websites that create a paradigm shift is what internet entreprenuers dream of.

For example, Google created a paradigm shift by changing the way we all find information. BitTorrent took file sharing to a new level.

audible, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  7. smatts9

smatts9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    audible is right with the "killerapps" idea. While making you niche sites with content and adsense and maybe some affiliate links will bring you in some cash, you need a killer idea to make killer money. Anyone can make those niche sites, not everyone has the killer idea, or the killer desire to do well. Even if you have a good idea you need to work on it a lot, and work some more. Most of the recent 'killer' sites around are based on user-made content, such as: myspace, dating sites, etc. TONS of people are logging on and talking to eachother, posting this and that, and whatever. Making content. Like it is always said, when it comes down to it in the end, content is king. To get the content to be a king, you need the traffic of a king, and that's when it becomes tricky.

smatts9, Jun 26, 2006 IP
    earlpearl likes this.
  8. marmbo63

marmbo63 Peon

Best Answers:
    Always look around town (neighborhood) and pay attention to what type of offline companies are putting in new locations - Real Estate, Mortgages, Coffee, Cell Phones, Mexican Food (We have a lot here in Houston, but Adsense no payee for TexMex stuff) -

You get the idea - Those seem to be the best niches - You may have to add a sub niche to something like Mortages with something like - New York Mortgages, etc...

Hope it helps..

marmbo63, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  9. adwordaffiliate

adwordaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    Using programs like Clickadequalizer or Wordtracker or possibly if you're broke check out a program called "Good Keywords" I'm pretty sure it's free & it will enable you to do searches for keywords and see how popular they are & also how often they are searched.

Pick about 5-10 keywords & start writing your site around those words, submit to directories & do link exchanges with relevant anchor text and hopefully you should make it to #1 in the serps ;)

adwordaffiliate, Jun 28, 2006 IP