1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 Killer Tips For Facebook Ads

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by unspeakable, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Spy on Other People's Ads

Many people's biggest problem is finding something good to promote on Facebook. The idiots at Facebook have created an adboard which lets you view everyone else's ads. It has absolutely no clue why someone would do something so stupid, but they did. Just refresh your normal Facebook profile page until you see a Facebook ad come up, and click the "More Ads" button. There you go, a page full of ideas that are probably making other people money.

Keep in mind, however, that you will only be shown ads targeted to your demographic, so you may want to create a few fake Facebook accounts for different demographics to see what's being promoted to females/males/old people/young people/single people/married people, etc.

2. Make Multiple Ads

Many times, you will make a Facebook ad that is getting decent traffic, but you're not coming close to filling your daily budget because you're not getting enough impressions. There are two good options for getting over this hurdle. First, you could do the obvious thing and raise your bid, which will in turn make Facebook give you more impressions per day and end up filling your daily budget. Second, and probably smarter, is keep your bid the same, and make a few more nearly identical ads. Assuming your CTR is nearly the same on all the ads, you should be able to fill up your budget with 5 almost identical ads if your original ad was using 1/5th of your budget to begin with.

3. Use a Good Picture

The picture you use for your ad will literally make or break you. You NEED to find a good one for your ad to preform well. When making the picture for your ad, always save it in 110×80px with as high resolution possible. Pick something eye-catching. Something that definitely does not blend in with the Facebook site. Using mostly black works well. Anything with hot girls is good as long as it's related to your ad, and targeted to guys. Stacks of money, optical illusions, and expensive cars have all preformed well. Again, refer to tip #1 if you're struggling and check what other people are using to get ideas.

4. Run Your Ads At Night

This one is pretty simple. Ads just do better at night. No idea why, but they do. If you can afford to not get any clicks for the first half of the day, set your bid at 1 cent and wait until around 5pm EST or so and put your bid back to normal and watch the clicks fly.

5. Out of the Box Targeting

A big mistake that many people make when starting with Facebook ads is targeting everyone in the US market. Facebook may not have as many targeting options, but they have quite a few, and they're pretty accurate. The US market has a ton of people advertising on it, so try targeting Canada. Most people don't target by keyword, but doing so can convert to sales like crazy. If you're promoting some sort of health supplement, try thinking of keywords for people who work out and target them, or maybe vegetarians or vegans. These targeting options, while they may give you a more narrow audience, and less traffic, will give you a great CTR which will make your clicks cost almost nothing, and will no doubt convert to sales much better.

The most important thing to remember when advertising on Facebook is this: It costs $0 to create an ad. Make as many as you can until you find one that's making you money.

unspeakable, Jan 27, 2009 IP
    fundu likes this.
  2. events

events Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using Facebook ads recently... useful article. Just to add to this... follow Facebook rules if you want to get your ads approved.

events, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  3. lokielookies

lokielookies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great tips!

lokielookies, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  4. Casius14

Casius14 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive always been worried about facebook, i hear you can get fined for spamming ads etc.

Casius14, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  5. Skipperjj

Skipperjj Peon

Best Answers:
    I've run several ppc campaigns on Facebook, targeted as tightly as I could get them, with very what seems like a very small conversion rate compared to adwords. Have you had a similar experience? I get the clicks but thats about it. I'm pretty new at this game however so it may be my ad copy. Thanks.

Skipperjj, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  6. logon2future

logon2future Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the tips very usefull

logon2future, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  7. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    how has anyones conversion for lets say a lead capture page doing? I am willing to try it out if the conversions are working for others

worth a shot at least

ErikJ, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  8. Remotay

Remotay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook ads are still expensive PPC wise, Adwords is much cheaper for most terms.

Remotay, Feb 5, 2009 IP
  9. unspeakable

unspeakable Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you use good ad with good image and pay with CPM
    you will got very low price per click

unspeakable, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  10. Timehacker

Timehacker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for advices, I'll have to try this.

Timehacker, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  11. Scar

Scar Peon

Best Answers:
    The #1 tip is to cloak. Not sure how you could have left that out.

Scar, Feb 8, 2009 IP