1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla Syndicate & Technorati

Discussion in 'Programming' started by john_loch, Jun 22, 2006.

Hi all,

A coder myself, I'm loath to post, but I think I need an extra set of eyes to sort this.

I'm running Joomla (an Open Source CMS) over at http://www.nettrevenue.com/ it's my pet project right now.

Now I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening, but Technorati just refuses to index my posts per tag.

My RSS2.0 feed validates without a problem, and a visual inspection confirms same. I'm also featuring tags on page per post (every post appears on home page and carries relevant tags, which I believe to be properly formatted (at least per Technorati spec)).

If anyone would care to take a look, it'd be much appreciated.

Oh, yes, right now I'm using their ping page (as in manually visiting their page and telling it to ping my site) to take any ping automation on my side out of the picture.

I suspect it's going to be something stupid, some rediculously obtuse little oversight in terms of tag formatting or the RSS, but screwed if I know.

Thanks guys - (sort it, and I'll send something your way, maybe an Amazon DVD or $25 via paypal or the like).

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  2. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    No takers huh ?

Think outside the box. :)

john_loch, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  3. Allan

Allan Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not a rss or joomla expert, but I have a site using drupal which is listed in technorati with proper tagging for articles. I noticed that on my feed there is
    <category></category> tag for each article, and didn't see any on your rss1 feed.

drupal.org/node/feed will show you a typical drupal generated feed

Allan, Jun 25, 2006 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Hi Allan,

Thanks for the feedback.. No probs there, Technorati lifts the relevant feed URL from the page meta tag rather than the feeds listed under syndicate. The feed referenced in the feed meta is RSS2 which does contain the category tags.

Thanks for trying tho :)

JL

john_loch, Jun 25, 2006 IP
  5. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok i have never use technorati tag before, but after taking a look, does it looks the same ??

suggested : <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="All Entries" href="http://domain.tld/index.rss" />

what i see in joomla : <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SEO SEM PPC &amp; Affiliates" href="http://www.nettrevenue.com/index2.php?option=com_rss&amp;feed=RSS2.0&amp;no_html=1" />

I dont think their bot trail the request since it;s not SEF url, but what about give a new name for that rss components, configurable via sef advance or opensef at the custom components configuration, if i am rite, just my 2 cent, news from joomla core dev team it is not yet develop, they maybe need to hack the core.. so..

rewlie, Jun 26, 2006 IP
    john_loch likes this.
  6. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Rewlie,

I had ignored the formatting of the URL because I saw it work elsewhere, and 2 of my posts had actually made it onto Technorati with that format so I figured it wasn't worth a second look.

Turns out it was the format - I simply remapped the URL to match that used by Wordpress (ie /feed/) and voilla !

I've a sneaking suspicion that TBot abandons complex URLs during peak periods which might explain it.

Either way - your observation solved the problem :)

PM me your info (Paypal/Amazon wish list/donation URL etc) - the $25 is yours ;)

Thanks,

JL

john_loch, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  7. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    PM sent, will go to the donation team :)

rewlie, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  8. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Thx Rewlie,

Payment sorted :)

john_loch, Jun 27, 2006 IP
    rewlie likes this.