1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Opinion on Managing a Forum

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jeffbeer09, Jan 24, 2009.

Hi everyone,

I am looking into starting a website, that will be in the freelance writer's niche. With that being said, I am asking to those who manage forums:

1.) What are your monthly budgets for your forum?
    2.) How soon did you start seeing profit?

Again, I would like input from those who have owned or managed a forum before (or still manages :)). Thanks everyone!

jeffbeer09, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    1. it depends on how much you want to spend.. use phpbb or mybb and do it all for free, or use a paid script like vBulletin or IPB
    2. it varies on how hard you work on it.

Brandon Sheley, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  3. bestserviceforyou

bestserviceforyou Peon

Best Answers:
    To start a forum, it takes a lot of work, and a lot of good posts, posted by yourself. Then you will need to promote like crazy.
    I agree use phpbb. Its easy and lots of nice mods..
    Good Luck

bestserviceforyou, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  4. EricBlackwell

EricBlackwell Peon

Best Answers:
    I have modded forums and have a couple of my own.

Regardless of the choice you make in software, your main expense will be in labor to build the community. The key is to recruit some good folks to help you... ( no money needed). Profit wise, that depends on a lot of things...

Are you looking to monetize with ads or a service you sell, or??

Best

Eric

EricBlackwell, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  5. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1.) What are your monthly budgets for your forum?
    I use to spent around $500+/month for my money making niche forum.

2.) How soon did you start seeing profit?
    It take me 2 month to get profit and finally can cover the expand for dedicated server and misc fee.

mentos, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  6. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    @ Loco.M: thanks for the help, I am looking for exact numbers... I 99% likely looking into phpbb/vBulletin.
    @ bestserviceforyou: thanks as well for the mods aspect... I got a ton of potential volunteers, so the hardest part will be organization and scheduling

@ EricBlackwell: I want to monetize the forum in the most effective and efficient way possible (I know that there are nth degree of threads on D about 'ways to monetize forums', so I won't focus on that). I would say adsense, private banners/ads, possible premium memberships, etc. *If you would happen to know of best ways to monetize AND when it's best to start doing that, let me know :)

@ mentos: This is exactly what I was looking for! :D I really appreciate it.

jeffbeer09, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  7. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a limited budget, it is better to start your forum with phpbb and with potential volunteers, it will grow. Allot the resources for advertising and if required, to refresh and infuse new contents. If you are lucky, you will find yourself on the positive side (profit!) from the fourth month onwards...
    Good Luck.

dairyman, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  8. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is depend, it can be from $50 ~ $1000 per month. It is depend on your budget.
    Basically, you might need to spend about 3 months before you can reach the marginal profit.
    Of course, you need to spend time and work on it too

lifeplayer, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  9. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I calculated my budget to be about $500... I could elaborate more, if anyone is interested haha. As well, I know to not expect profit to cover costs just yet.

Again, I appreciate your insight... this is helping my planning and strategy.

jeffbeer09, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  10. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Dairyman... I accidentally overlooked your reply, sorry! Thank you so much for your advice!

does anyone know of the best place to get RELIABLE mods/volunteers?
    Thanks again everyone, the business plans are coming together very well :)

jeffbeer09, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  11. lorddan01

lorddan01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well surely the people at your forum would be quality and reliable, after all they are volunteering their time at your forum. Plus you know they are interested in the topic.

lorddan01, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  12. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, and this makes tons of sense :) ...I'm going to avoid hiring foum commenter/posters at all costs. Plus, my forum will focus on writing/freelance writing... so I'll certainly find some helpful hands.

jeffbeer09, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  13. lorddan01

lorddan01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I avoid it too as when you stop paying they stop so if they start a great thread and people ask them questions it just dies and ruins a good thread. They usually write minimum lenth posts rather than long ones trying to contribute to the topic or add value for other members.

lorddan01, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  14. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should be able to start out with a $15 shared hosting package. But, it also depends on how many graphics and videos you have on your site. For a basic forum with a header image, and the home page is less then 100kb, start off with a $15 hosting package. Do not go with free hosting or those $5 packages, you might out grow them very quickly.

Expect to spend at least a year before your site gets any traffic. So expect 12 - 16 months before your site starts making any money.

But,,, I have seen forums that have been online for 2+ years and have very little traffic. Your forums success depends directly on your marketing ability. If you do a sorry job of promotion, link building and seo, never expect to have any traffic. And as a result, never expect to make any money.

~kev~, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  15. eurisko

eurisko Peon

Best Answers:
    you need to understand something critical towards operating a forum. Most of the people open forums and it eventually (maybe) starts to grow, or even dies.

The trick towards making a forum work, is actually getting everyone at the forum at the same time. Use a press release site to advertise and get everyone to your site all at once. Advertise before the site opens, so once it does open, everyone is registered and already posting topics.

No one! wants to join a dead forum or participate in one either.

eurisko, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  16. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    None, I don't not spend money on it. I bought a vbulletin, made the graphics and design myself, and do freely seo type stuff.

Forums don't typically make that much money. They have to be huge to do that. If you are into getting a forum for money then you got it wrong. A Forum is generally used to support something that makes money.:D

Laceygirl, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  17. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    After setting up! forums announce any contest so that many members can join in the same process quality posting can be made possible

jezzz, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  18. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, I appreciate everyone's help! Alot of valuable info here :)
    @GrAveTzT : I am not into making a forum for money, I am actually tired of looking around for information and professionals... so I'd figured there is potential for profit, but I know not to be naive in the process.

Thanks again everyone, and please do keep the input coming!

19. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi again everyone, I am currently in the process of working on my Terms of Service... but I am wondering if anyone has good sites/resources that will be of assistance during this ToS process?

...are there any basic templates available?

20. Ratchet

Ratchet Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure about ToS, though feel free to use my forum rules (change them a bit). Link: http://atomicfps.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1605#post1605

Hope it helps.

Ratchet, Feb 4, 2009 IP