1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Questions about DMOZ/ODP

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by trustnobodynever, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    After I search on the forums and I read most of the topic on this subject I still have few questions , not even help pages from official site didnt helped me to find the right answer for them ..

Do ever DMOZ/ODP send out emails ? about they receive the request to submit ? funny thing is I saw there peoples who claiming they got listed within 2 weeks , other waiting months and years ... I said once in forum I don't even care if one of my crappy sites are listed or not on DMOZ I know will be nice but I think I`m do this things just from passion not for some interests to rank / or to sell stuffs around ... ( at least not yet lol :p ) ... I saw on dmoz-resources [dot ]com a forum from one of known guys from there , on this forums was before a section to check status of applications its seems now is stopped this services anyway ... anyone know another place or any way to check if the aplication is received by editors ? .. I open this topic just because I added one of my sites recently and I read some articles there was some errors on dmoz side exactly on the day when I added my site :D

trustnobodynever, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  2. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, unless you have applied to become editor there is no chance you'll ever get e-mail from DMOZ.

In my editor days I've only once contacted submitter to tell him that I would love to add his website but in order to comply with rules he needs to add English pages to his website in Polish but then categories I use to maintain barely got any public submission so I needed every website I could find to raise my edit count.

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  3. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    I see , maybe I have luck and I got so kind editor like you was to drop me a short mail , anyway thanks for help .

ps . I `m still not capable to join on dmoz-resources [dor ] com forums , its keep getting me errors , or my damn it isp provider is blacklisted by them :) ...

ps 2. :) I was last year on Makarska most beautiful place from world I think I love it !

trustnobodynever, Jan 22, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  4. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In that case, I don't think I would wait too long before a resubmit. In the case that your site seems to be rejected, work hard on making unique and interesting content to your pages. Of course, there's no way to make it completely unique, but work on having some extra special stuff there, then resubmit. In the latter case, I would wait a few months before giving it a retry. Just my opinion. :)

Karen May Jones, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  5. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Conform to one of ODP officials its seems resubmitting for consideration sites its not helping by any chance the sites to be review and accepts , its like a over-writing the queue for the review :) ... of course same official said and others confirmed already usually editors don't add only sites which are suggested there they can add even sites which they found during browsing internet , considering myself enough selfish person and having a good opinion about my site I`m thinking one of editors will find interesting my site even if i`m not suggesting it and he will add ( maybe ) . Of course i`m still keep fingers crossed there hopping all this its true even is hard to believe them . Just like a short summary : 2 days of innocent browsing on ODP , found on first day under one category two dead links and reported them :) even if I simply can buy the domains from my registrar yes :p ... on second day found another 3 links which its seems to broke the so loved by officials ODP representatives rules and guidelines , even if whois records + web.archive.org + cache from google saying that they simply ignore what I say on resource-zone or they are simply pointing me back again to so named guidelines :) .

short after edit :
    I made a test with applying like editor within another category , got rejected within maxim 45 minutes maybe a hour ... I love the automatically email which are send by them , even if they are saying this emails are human write :)

trustnobodynever, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know how many times you need to have it explained, but I will try once more.
    Every editor application is reviewed by one or more volunteers. There is no automatic review process.

The fact that you believe differently is unfortunate, but I guess I am in a better position to know, seeing I have reviewed over 10,000 new editor applications. Myself. Not "automatically" at all.

makrhod, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  7. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    :D thanks again to pointing me this :) I`m glad to see ODP officials do their volunteer work following the rules and guidelines :D we will try to follow same nicely and we will leave on a peaceful and beauty world always and forever . Funny its like I said on resource-zone , even if I understand this guidelines and all those rules that don't means only some have to follow them . Same there I said within two days of browsing on ODP purely like an innocent user who look about an particular thing I found in total 5 links which aren't follow the guidelines - I reported two of them was deleted within a hour or less this ones too , other 3 links I didn't reported just because I have no reason to do this , Answers from resource-zone which I got on the thread where was discussed was totally disappointing me and wasn't by any way fair and honest like the rules and guidelines spirit of ODP . The two reported links which was deleted I can easy register myself there I I can control two domains listed on ODP on same category , not '' an usefulness and now reviewed yes '' like I`m controlling now ... I still do my best to develop and to maintain my small project , I still don't care ( like before and since years about what's happening just because I`m doing this from passion ) . Its just not a good way to deal with peoples who proven the good faith and honesty like was on my case . I didnt come on resource-zone to beg or to ask someone to look at my '' suggestion '' even if I`m pretty sure will not be never considered enough good for ODP simply what i`m think about it its just another thing .

Like I said on odp , two days for attention of ODP , maxim a hour of browsing in total , And I got what I got from there. Easy way for me at this moment to have a link from dmoz is just to go there and to look about same time of domains like I got them three days ago ... for what I need to work to develop , to bring authors and to work loads of hours to stress with loads of things , finnaly to suggest my poor link to ODP review which will be probably treated like the editor application was treat , or worst ? like the answers from resource-zone ? .... I can bet within a week I can replace at least half of the domains from my portfolio with domains listed on dmoz , which they seems to follow the guidelines and the rules .

trustnobodynever, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You probably could purchase a domain name that is currently listed in dmoz. Thats no problem and no debate ;)

Your problem would be that the automatic tools will eventually pickup the change in content, a redirection, or an editor will see the content has changed. The site will then be removed immediately, no listing in dmoz is guaranteed and no listing is permanent.

Is it really worth it......?? You would spend more hard work doing seo, linkbuilding and content building and in a day, or a month (who knows), the listing would be discovered as being non compliant, would be removed and you are back to where you started.

Just focus on good seo and linkbuilding, dont obsess about dmoz and im sure that the increased effort will reap far more rewards than you would get, by the site being listed in dmoz. Honestly, it is not the magic link that people believe or expect.

Cheers. ;)

snooks, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  9. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    I`m not obsess about ODP/DMOZ , I`m just trying to get there an answer ;) The automatic tools its seems just to be a rumor , all officials which answered me there and on resource-zone said there all things are done MANUALLY , as for automatic tools to checking the content and the current listings is hard to believe since within maxim a hour of browsing on two different categories I found nice things ... first time 2 dead links ( one domain parked on godaddy since more than 6 months - hard to believe this tools cant see such changing of content from sites VERY HARD TO BELIEVE ! and other domain who got deleted by the registrar .... so the tools which about you say there are just rumors ) . Second time browsing found other 3 links which are breaking the so loved by all of us the guidelines and the rules , domains is true aren't changed the content since years now , one of them is even a free url on geocities :) this 3 urls I didn't reported them .

trustnobodynever, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well if everyone could not be bothered to report bad links we would have more, at least until out bots found them.

DMOZ is run by volunteers apart from a handful of AOL staff, we build the directory to try and organise the web for browsers, its free we work for free. We ask the co-operation of anyone using the directory either to find sites or submit them to report any problems they have with sites. That helps us to keep the directory as up to date as possible.

Anonymously, Jan 27, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.