1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is there an update going on????

Discussion in 'Google' started by HansV, Feb 19, 2005.

Suddenly tonight for almost al the main KW my site is on the front page of google. What hapened? Is there an update? Will finaly all the hard work do some good? I'm totally stunned....

HansV, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  2. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    The updating hasn't stopped since Dec 2004

Homer, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  3. Spacen

Spacen Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummm...yeah. There has been an update going on for the past 3 weeks. You should have noticed some fluctuations across some DCs weeks ago.

Spacen, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  4. HansV

HansV Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah some fluctuations between 100 and 200 but this is totaly different

HansV, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  5. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    I too have noticed a huge update on Google as of today, for the first time ever I am in the top 10 for some of my lesser competitive keywords (2nd for 1). And a few of my competitive keywords are in the top 20.

My site which has been sandboxed since it was launched in August has never been this high.

JoeO, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keep riding the wave people... it will eventually settle. Then we can either freak out or applaud :)

NewComputer, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  7. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I choose to freak out

fryman, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  8. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    after 5 years of doing this .. I'm chill :D too much excitement ..

Blogmaster, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  9. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    they have deindexed all buy my main page, so i'm on the annoyed side of it all :)

wendydettmer, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  10. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    There is defiantely something major going on as of today...weird

ViciousSummer, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  11. EyesCoffee

EyesCoffee Peon

Best Answers:
    My site has gone from 150-170 to top100 over the past two days, the biggest jump was today. In 3 days it will mark 6months since Google first visited my site.

EyesCoffee, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  12. HansV

HansV Peon

Best Answers:
    only tonight I had 1100 referals coming from google. I'm really happy with this as you can imagine. Now I rank where I should be finally after 7 months of hard work hehe.

But it really apeared from one moment to an other....

HansV, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  13. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm starting to believe that this "wave" won't stop. It'll just keep going and going and going. I'm not freaked, nor have I changed any of my pages in an attempt to salvage anything, but perhaps google is of the faith that dynamic SERP changes provide the best results at any given time. Who knows...

Infiniterb, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  14. pstatus

pstatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Im freaked.. My site has been around for years.. and i was ranked #8 and #10th respectively on G for the terms: hawaii home loan, and home loan hawaii... NOW IM NOWHERE. Someone said that i may have too much links with the same anchor text.. Is this true? if so how do i counteract this? Will adding more ads to my coop rotation help some?

How do i get back to where i was..

here's my site: http://www.homeloanhawaii.com

I continue to be on top of Yahoo and MSN for those terms mentioned, but Google just blanked me... Im still in the index, but damn no where in the serps.

PLEASE HELP...

pstatus, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  15. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I firmly believe that having multiple keyword phrases to optimize for, especially in the coop, is the best course of action to counter act any sort of "keyword stuffing". If a site is getting a ton of link backs with the same anchor text, it likely raises a red flag to google signifying that something is going on, and looks more like an automated method of providing links back to your page.

I typically put around 3-5 phrases per keyword and have noticed no real penalization aside from this roller coaster ride google is taking us on. Try alternating your keywords and check back in a few weeks to see if you're running better/worse.

Infiniterb, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  16. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    PEOPLE... Google is obviously STILL NOT STABLE!!! Google is STILL MAKING CHANGES!!!

There is more to SEO than just learning the techniques and tweeks to make to websites to advance in the search engines.

An integral part of SEO is learning when and where to apply them.

You would most likely be outraged with your doctor if you went to them complaining of having a fever and the Dr decided to put a cast on your arm. Afterall a cast on someones arm helps some people. Hopefully, you would expect them to diagnose the situation first BEFORE applying a treatment!

If you went to your mechanic because your car won't start and they just started changing parts. Hopefully, you would expect that they would diagnose the problem first and fix or change the CORRECT PART not just start changing parts until the car finally started and racking up your bill.

With Google STILL FARTING AROUND it is still too difficult to determine just what the REAL outcome of all of this will be.

pstatus,

You are NOT alone! Many of us are very unhappy at the moment because our sites are being tossed around in the wind. My site is right along next to you!

BUT, right now I don't know if I'll land in Kansas or OZ. One thing I do know is I should wait to land somewhere BEFORE stepping out the door to assess the situation.

Again, here are the tables I have been keeping during this whole month of February!

The numbers you will see in the table are the position and allinanchor position for just ONE PAGE and ONE KEYWORD across the Datacenters as reported several times a day.

You will note that things are starting to calm down BUT Changes are STILL happening many times a day.

Google Update February 2005

Feb Update by C-Block

Note: The RED indicates a change from the previous recording on the same Datacenter.

Caryl

mcdar, Feb 20, 2005 IP
    ResaleBroker likes this.
  17. HansV

HansV Peon

Best Answers:
    But still I really think that the sandbox effect is lifted. I'm in the serps right know for over 900 KW and that never was the case before. 100 at the most and they were all on the 150 + placings ( most of them nowhere) in the serps. Now I'm on the first page for a lot of keywords. I now rank on the front for erotic chess for example. I was never there, and we have the only.... really only erotic chess game on the planet :)

HansV, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I see no change and still don't buy the idea a lot of people have of Google doing 'updates'. On any given day you can find at least one webmaster who thinks an 'update' is going on because they see big changes.

I believe they continuously update and only those few major algo tweaks go down in history as so-called 'updates'. It just doesn't make sense that they would press a button after a few months development and apply all changes on the entire index.

T0PS3O, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    There is always an update going on :confused: :p :eek:

anthonycea, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  20. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    This February Google EVENT is not one dimensional. A Great many changes are happening at one time.

I have witnessed one of my sites "rise from the ashes" per se. That site had been #1 for several keywords for more than a year. Then, late last spring it was "tossed" into the 100s and it floundered there since then. On February 6th it jumped to position #1 and has just stayed there.

But, as you can see from my tables, a page on another site of mine has been all over the GD place from hour to hour.

This Google EVENT is effecting many things in many different ways.

Caryl

mcdar, Feb 20, 2005 IP