1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Interesting thing about a domains age I bought, weird!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Z33M@N, Jan 21, 2009.

Hi Guys

In 2008 I bought the domain sa-tourism(dot)com. Today out of interest I check the age of my domain here, http://www.webconfs.com/domain-age.php and it says 6 years and 9 months.

I thought to myself that this could not be, because I only bought it about 3 months ago. So I test it again in another domain age tool http://www.seologs.com/dns/domain-check.html and it says 3 months and 2 days.

That's more like it, but then I decided to go checkout the way back machine, I'm sure you are all familiar with this. Indeed the domain existed 6 years back.

So I was wondering will Google see the 6 year age or 3 month age? because we all know that the age of a domain = trust.

For me this is a great find, I'm busy building my tourism site on this domain and i hope this will help my rankings when the site launches.

Thanks all

Z33M@N, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  2. itvegas64

itvegas64 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have this happen quite a lot recently as I have been registering a lot of domains. All it means is that the domain existed many moons ago and was deleted and nobody re-registered it.

As for the age being a good sign to google, it is not quite as important as it used to be, as their bots are pretty smart and can see there has been no site at that address for a couple of years.

itvegas64, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  3. Z33M@N

Z33M@N Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting! I know that there should be a way for the bots to I identify that a site has been gone for a while. I still think this is great find nonetheless.

Thanks for the reply :)

Z33M@N, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  4. Nancy Kneoteric

Nancy Kneoteric Banned

Best Answers:
    Google does not have access to whois data which can be used to determine domain age. Even if it did, such data can be restricted by users and therefore does not qualify to be a reliable data source.

My assertion is that Google would use the first index date/cache date to calculate domain age. In your case the domain has been used before but is not the same. I am sure Google will be able to make that differentiation.

I(you) wish domain age was calculated from the date of registration, but unfortunately its not.

Nancy Kneoteric, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  5. itvegas64

itvegas64 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm curious, so you think google can't find out the age of a domain the same way we can?

I buy a lot of domains and have a script which finds expired domains and gives me data including the age of the domain

Maybe I should sell it to google! :)

Also how is domain age calculated if not by date of register? And what data does the wayback machine use?

6. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard many times that it depends on the date in which you registered it, and that after a domain is dropped, its new "date" begins when someone picks it up or buys it and it's in their account.

Pixelrage, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  7. itvegas64

itvegas64 Peon

Best Answers:
    I had heard that too but it is still strange that that does not apply to all domains.

All those totally inaccurate domain valuation software give a lot of weight to older domains

Even if they report it as say 1998 when using the wayback page shows the first page it saw was 2000

Maybe it is just another internet anomaly?

8. ramp5115

ramp5115 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think if a dropped domain when lost its Pr.it is not helpful anymore

ramp5115, Jan 21, 2009 IP