1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Writing JUST for the money.

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by lightless, Jan 19, 2009.

I have lately seen people wanting to start writing/copywriting just because they heard that it pays well. I have also seen some Make Money Online blogs suggesting that people write articles to make easy money, from time to time.

So what's wrong? Here's my point. I heard that rocket science pays well. But you don't see people rushing about to become rocket scientists just because it pays well.

This is where the problem lies. People who have no or very poor writing skills setting out to become writers just to make a quick buck [Whether they make it or not is an entirely different issue]. And often without making even a half-decent attempt to improve their language or writing, or assessing whether they have any of the basic skills required to produce decent content or copy.

Don't try to do something when you lack even basic skills just because you can or just because it pays well. While in writing there are some skills that you can develop only through practice, there are also skills that are basic prerequisites. Please develop the necessary skills before you set out to write.

In conclusion, don't write just because it pays. Write if you have what it takes.

P.S None [Very few] of the intended benefactors of this rant probably visit the copywriting section. Oh well ........

lightless, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  2. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with you.. i have came across alot of people who tried to make money out of their blogs.
    and i knew of one person whose blog's content is nothing interesting but she earns $7000 p/mth..
    i dont get it!

Chardonnay, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  3. iWrite

iWrite Peon

Best Answers:
    None of the possible benefactors could understand this without Google Translate.

iWrite, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  4. xriotdotbiz

xriotdotbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Reminds of the old IT days in the late '90's. Everyone heard that computers was a good job and paid well, and the market was flooded with techs, who quickly bailed after the bubble busted in 2000 and 2001. They had no passion for what the did.

Writing takes time to make money, a reputation and a network has to be built. And, indeed, skills have to be increased (grammar anyone?), which again takes time. Perseverance takes passion to last.

xriotdotbiz, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't believe everything people proclaim on their Make Money Online blogs. It is easy to inflate your earnings to "acquire" prestige and more readers [Especially "OMG he makes 909090$/month so everything he says must be really important" type people]. Especially when nobody is going to audit your earnings.

What is stopping me from claiming that I earn 10,000$/Month from my blog? I am not saying that nobody is earning anything, but people are often earning less than what they say they are earning.

lightless, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  6. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you have valid points, normally good earner not disclose his earnings publicly but those who are claiming $xxxx/month might not be true. Sometimes they only misguide their readers. Some may make money but it's not because of Writing skills.

Rohit patel, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  7. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I honestly don't care about those who are in for the quick buck. After all, they eventually realize that it takes a lot to do freelance writing full time. So it's either they upgrade their skills or go back to their 9-5 jobs.

cd928, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  8. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. But they drag the freelance writing market a notch before they leave, harming buyers and distorting prices. And then the next batch arrives ........

9. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes exactly, sometimes writers are making too much changes in price and now we hardly even see $1/100 words rate in BST section, Although there are many freelancing website which still paying $5 to $10 per 100 words one of the best example is problogger.net which also offer Job section where you can find real copywriting jobs.

Rohit patel, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  10. dadaas

dadaas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont agree!!!
    Everyone can write, just open your wordpad and type. Can everyone do rocket scients job, i dont even know where to start.

Sooner you start writting sooner you get better, if you dont start you will never be good, and trust me none is talented in writting nor in rocket scients job.

So my opinion is go out there if your newbie request small cash for writting and once you get better request more.

dadaas, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  11. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I actually don't think so. The breed of "writer" you're talking about won't distort prices in most markets - they can't effect what they're not a part of, and they're only a part of the type of market that is always "distorted" by newcomers. That market will also always have buyers who choose to risk "harm" over paying more.

When I first started watching that market and trying to help other writers get out of it, it was very common to see prices set at around $.02 per word. I watched it drop on a whole to more of a $.01 per word norm. And then I watched it fall even further - all before the more recent influx of writers wanting (or needing) quick money.

You can't distort a market that's already a great perversion of an overall industry.

As for writing for money, I don't care about people's motivations. If anything, I'm more annoyed by the writers who claim it's all about the love of it, and who then proceed to advise other writers. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making money. If you couldn't make money as a writer, we wouldn't have some of the best and most creative works we've been able to enjoy for years. Those who knock writing for money are very often simply the ones who couldn't manage to do it successfully themselves.

That said, ideally those writing "for the money" will also love what they do - the love of it plus the financial reward and ability to earn a living doing something others only dream about - it doesn't get better than that.

Most of the writers wanting a "quick buck" will ultimately fail, just as thousands have before them. They'll be replaced, just as they replaced others. Those who want more from their career will learn how to target more appropriate markets, and those who can't do that will either accept the constant struggle and competition or they'll eventually give up as well. Money will always be a motivating factor, and it is in industries beyond publishing.

You either have more to offer than those new writers, or you don't. If you do, don't waste time worrying about what they're doing or what they're charging. You have value to leverage that they don't, and that group will always take care of themselves (as in weeding each other out).

jhmattern, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  12. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see what you mean. There is a writer's market and a "writer's" market. Somewhat mutually exclusive.

Everybody writes for money, but the problem is people writing JUST for the money with no love and no skills and no desire to improve.

Sure. That is part of the problem. There is much difference between writing and good writing. And the need is for the latter. But I could be wrong. ;)

13. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The ability to type makes one a writer only to the degree being able to open your mouth makes you qualified to lecture in the ivy league.

What's sad is that while many of these people know they "don't even know where to start" when it comes to rocket science and other fields, they're equally unqualified as writers, knowing just as little about the true job it is, but they think they know what they're doing.

Those "writers" who can't look beyond the act of putting words to paper (or screen) are precisely the ones not worth the worry, the bulk of whom will fail, and the ones who will make little to no impression on the industry as a whole.

jhmattern, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  14. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with Jenn. I write well, communicate effectively, break down complex financial topics easily, and generally enjoy writing. It comes naturally to me and always has. Would I write if I didn't make money at it? Of course, I'm a communicator and educator at heart and am compelled to do so. Does that mean I'm passionate about it and my fingers itch with anticipation when I'm not doing it? Uh...no. If anything, I'm passionate about helping people, educating people, and helping people avoid getting screwed. Writing is a great way to accomplish all of that while sitting on my rotund butt and watching my thighs spread to tremendous proportions.

Lightless is right though, you have to be a good writer to make money. You can go from decent to good with practice...but if you suck, you are probably going to continue to suck no matter how hard you try.

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  15. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you mean "beneficiaries", don't you? :D

alexa_s, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  16. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Aside from practice, you also should be able to sell yourself to your potential clients if you want to make money out of writing. You can't expect to make a living in this field waiting for people to approach you and ask if you can write for them. It pays to be proactive as well.

cd928, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  17. DocB

DocB Member

Best Answers:
    One can always hope that those who are only in it for a quick buck will realise that it takes long term effort to become a good writer of value and learn to respect those who are making the effort to becomes good writers, whatever their motivations. When someone like YL posts about writing coming 'naturally' I think that's because writing and reading are things you've been doing for so long that they've become second nature and because you enjoy them you get caught up in the moment and it doesn't seem like work, whether you're making money or not. Apart from the fundamentals of writing you're work is probably good because it conveys that passion and also catches reads up in the moment of reading what you've written.

Of course, there's another optimistic, brighter side of things: bad writing can be useful as a learning tool for other writers. Learning to critically analyse others writing and determining how we'd do it better or differently develops skills we need for redrafting and improving our own writing.

Finally, writing well and marketing your writing are different skills and both need continual development.

DocB, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  18. Harman Bajwa

Harman Bajwa Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok Guys!! I really agree with all the views which you have written here..Ok To be very frank
    i am new to this forum,
    i am just going through this forum and i really feel interesting as compared to other's....
    As the first time if you people can let me know "How to start my business here "
    i have good communication skill as well as writing skills . so Any body wants my testification i can do that free of cost (Limited one).
    As i found that only solution to start my Carrer with you guys...
    Please response to my comment and also i appreciate if some one really cares about me getting started in this forum.
    Thanx..

Harman Bajwa, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  19. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good catch. Sometimes the words just flow and you go along without double checking. :D

Yippee. A beneficiary.

I don't think so. Your writing has many grammatical, spelling and other types of errors if your post above is any indication. You have some way to go before you can produce decent content. I would advise you to better your writing skills [Which you'd want to if you are serious about doing this] before jumping into the fray. Start by reading some writer's blogs like those below and work at improving your language and skills.

http://allfreelancewriting.com/
    http://www.fabfreelancewriting.com/blog/

lightless, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  20. Sei

Sei Member

Best Answers:
    This is an important point that people forget when contacting prospective clients. It is extremely important that you provide all the details that your client requires, plus any samples if he has mentioned it. And there should be no room for dejection. When I started, I got my first client after around 20 PMs. But, I did get one! After that it has been a smooth sail.. :)

Sei, Jan 21, 2009 IP