1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I pick a good domain name?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by clarissa25, Jan 16, 2009.

ok I thought I had this great domain name, ugottareadthisnow.com. I thought it was good because it's general, meaning I could totally redo the site if need be and it would fit for any product. I also thought the name provoked interest. But someone told me it was spammy and worth nothing. So now I'm back to square one with my venture in building a website. Bam! I hit another wall. Please tell me how to pick a good domain name. Plllleeease.

clarissa25, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  2. ezay

ezay Peon

Best Answers:
    Think of a catch phrase and incorporate it into a domain.

ezay, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  3. travs

travs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's not that bad at all. you can also have the option of something short + easy to remember + catchy

travs, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  4. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First you should decide what subject/topic you want your website to be about. Choose something that you are genuinely interested in and knowledgeable about.

Now think about the main keywords that yuou would want searchers to find your website by. Try to include the main ones in your domain name.

The domain name you suggested isnt too bad but I would say to use you instead of u.

kentuckyslone, Jan 16, 2009 IP
    web-fanatic likes this.
  5. CBG

CBG Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeh ugottareadthisnow.com doesnt sound right...

1st u need to choose the sites theme, subject, genre...etc and then think of the suitable domain name..

CBG, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  6. Servetraffic

Servetraffic Peon

Best Answers:
    First what is your site going to be? What will you offer people that visit your web site? Also what would make them want to bookmark your site?

Will it be a blog site, or a games site, maybe some kind of service to them?

I would think of all this before trying to figure out a domain.

Servetraffic, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  7. videos

videos Peon

Best Answers:
    it's no good sorry

videos, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  8. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Read some about keyword research. Your domain should incorporate some of the keywords you want to target, normally. Granted, people have been successful without that (Godaddy, yahoo being a couple), but normally, keywords in your domain help the search engines realize what your website about.

For this reason, you might find it difficult to get search engine traffic on such a website.

PHPGator, Jan 16, 2009 IP
    web-fanatic likes this.
  9. songchai

songchai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good domain Name? First of all you should know what is your main market Target then whether how you would like to promote your website.

If you need to do SEM on main Marketing Promoting it choose the domain with target keywords. If not regist domain with short phrase and easy memorization.

songchai, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  10. web-fanatic

web-fanatic Banned

Best Answers:
    web-fanatic, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  11. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    that domain is definatly horrible.

ugottareadthisnow.com

Exspecially in the red because I'm sure a ton of people will miss spell right here. Then the part with the "SNOW", man when two words collide into one it sure looks funny. This domain name has got low level written all over it and I know you can do a million times better.

Its not brandable, its not small, its not easy to read, not easy to spell, and not keyword rich.

The only thing it does have is that it is probably "catchy". I don't think it is myself, but others may thing that. So basically if they read it right, spell it right, not find it in google, and arn't looking of a world class site then you may get a visitor.

Picking a domain is very hard for some people, but for myself its easy.

When you pick a domain you need to follow certain rules:

Do you want brandable? or Keyword rich.

For Example an arcade:

Drivinggame.net - that's keyword rich. It obvious that the owner(me) had looked at the adwords keywords checker and found that the Keyword "driving games" is getting tons of traffic so he(me) figured that he's grasp a hold of the search engine position on top because of the name. (Yes the name helps but you do need to SEO the site).

PCfaculty.com - That's Brandable. No one in the world is going to be looking for PC, computers, etc and colleges at the same time. But read it again PC Faculty. The name sounds like some sort of Future Shop type place or some school for only computer related skills to be learned. You'll remember the name because its brandable.

Here, maybe here will help (copied from peerhut.com(another "brandable" domain).

Laceygirl, Jan 16, 2009 IP
    kentuckyslone likes this.
  12. b4ndeng

b4ndeng Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the others.. very difficult to remember and also type

b4ndeng, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  13. Rage9

Rage9 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you need other to pick domains for you, you'll never succeed. Target your domain name tword what's actually offered there, that tends to work pretty well.

A weight loss blog by some gal named amanda, would have a very appropriate domain name of amandaweightloss.com or amandasweightblog.com. Or hell, you could just totally make up a word and hope it goes viral.

Rage9, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  14. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup.

copper12, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  15. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, don't focus on just the com extention. If you find a good one, but it is a NET or, even a FM, snatch it up. I have the FM (TheList.FM), and it is better than the com, one of the reasons being it has a different look to it. I had to pay four times more, but fuck it. It worked out in the end.

Think outside the box.

copper12, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  16. rome9t9

rome9t9 Peon

Best Answers:
    this domain is good if you are surely providing great readable content..it must be interesting..

there have been many websites that have such domain name.. for example icanhascheeseburger.com

it is very popular..

rome9t9, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  17. sultan786

sultan786 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not a great domain name. Chose a shorter one.

sultan786, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  18. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:

eww, disregard that. If you are planned on looking in a diff. ext. then please stay with .net, .com, .biz, org, or .info(if your not too serious).

Don't mess with those off one's such as .fm. If you don't believe me then do a couple of searches with google and you'll find that there is only a handful around that have made it. I don't think I've even been to a .fm site before in my life.:D

Laceygirl, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  19. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't care too much about search engines, there noob. *chuckles* I care about having a good domain name, getting a lot of quality consistent traffic, with a low bounce rate.

copper12, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  20. jduf

jduf Peon

Best Answers:
    To me a domain name easy should be easy to read. ugottareadthisnow is not
    In addition it sounds amateur a little bit.
    Even if you don't have a business related site I think your domain must have some kind of professional look.

You may want to consider separating two or three of your keywords with an hyphen. Hyphens help when you want to make your name easy to read. And search engines can see your keywords more easily.

jduf, Jan 17, 2009 IP