1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will Google Penalize the Coop? - A Coop Comparison - If you are new - A Must Read

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by ProductivePC, Feb 17, 2005.

1. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not gonna disclose the sites which have been "hit", people don't appreciate it.

I'll send PM with sites if you would like?

xml, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  2. Diamondbacks

Diamondbacks Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be great. Thank you. :)

Diamondbacks, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  3. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    Go back to the first post and read why websites are falling.

ProductivePC, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  4. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I would like to add I have a few sites that were hit the last update that nothing to do with the coop

my site was top 10 to top 20

for

'website design" (was top 10 for this for at least a year)
    "website optimiztion"
    "website marketing"

and bunch of other similar terms

All gone now in google.

But you know what I realized , if you optimze for big terms you don't NEED GOOGLE

unless you are super greedy guts you can make a decent living off of msn and yahoo

ferret77, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    ferret, why do you feel u incurred the penalty? (if u dont mind me asking)

Have you been completely dropped from the SERPs but your pages are still indexed?

dcristo, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  6. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    This is why YOU think sites are falling.

Banner advertisements RARELY improve link popularity.

LOL... come on now who are you trying to kid?

Why do you use the ad network? To increase link popularity and to manipulate SE rankings. If this was not the case, very few people would be interested in the ad network.

xml, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  7. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    It's a simple question of risk versus reward. You don't get penalized now but you may do in the future. Weighing up the risk is a judgement call that can only be made by the individual. An experienced SEO will not put all their eggs in one basket and will certainly have a contingency plan.

If (and it's a big if) Google decided to deprecate fresh links (for example links that were not on the page at the time of the previous crawl) then that could see the death of rotating link networks.

Make no mistake Google is very good at clustering and even makes a byproduct of it's activities observable here.

- Michael

Michael, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  8. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I'm not really sure

not de listed , just rankings drop

I do all the usually no-nos many seos do

lots link trading, high keyword density etc

The thing is people are always quick to point out one thing

"you traded links with gambling sites, that why you are kicked out"

but sometimes I have 2 sites with almost identical link partners ones gone , and the other is gaining ground

I have 2 similar sites that keep trading places wiht each other in ther serps which would be sort funny but I don't own either of them

Google at present is sort of like shortly after the florida update, no real disernable pattern that I can see.

Maybe I am just slow

one site does a + b + c does great the other get ranked at infinity

Its not just my sites its all over the place

so maybe its coop for some sites, maybe too many links , maybe its some other random filter

I don't really care yahoo and msn love me , and thats enough.

Its sort of funny my site doesn't rank for its own name, if I was still just doing web design I would be crushed. But godaddy had a sale .info and .biz domains for like 5.00 a bit ago and me and my affilate sites are fine without google.

ferret77, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  9. 1001

1001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Manipulation is NOT a FOUR LETTER WORD!

Google can remove or penalize any web site for any reason it so deems necessary to keep it's index of sites relevant. They aren't held accountable to anyone but the bottom line of making money and keeping their market share.

We are all speculating as to why they do what they do and nothing more, because the rules and reasons are never made known to us why sites disappear from their index completely, or drop to obscurity in the rankings.

The fact is Goo can remove your site at a moments notice and without reason or explanation. So if they find a site in the top rankings and they think it is ugly or spammy or has rotating links, they can remove it or penalize it at their whim. If they run across a site that has "too many pages" they can say bye bye and clean up their index with one fell swoop.

A site getting dropped could be due to a combination of factors or just plain bad luck.

This human Goo review process is done by employees who review the sites that are at the top, or they are tipped off by a complaint and investigate. Webmasters and SEO's are at the whim of a human who may or may not share our ideas of what a good web site should be.

I've had what I consider excellent well designed content sites with worthwhile articles, exclusive original content etc. and a loyal following of visitors fall out of their index.

Boom. One day the site is gone and the pagerank is 0 (not graybar by the way - just 0).

I'd love to know why but will Goo really tell me why they axed my lovely site?

I'm sure they felt "manipulated" in some way.

And webmaster theories as to why sites get dropped are a dime a dozen - unfortunately many of these opinions nothing more than someone trying to impress themselves and make themselves feel noble in that they aren't doing what the other evil webmasters are doing. Name calling.

All it takes is one complaint from your competition, a jealous webmaster or a trip of a filter, and the Goo human review can kick in. Who knows the reason why but your site could be dropped.

The fact is, if you score top rankings on popular search queries you will be more likely to fall under the scrutiny of human Goo review with your fate depending on whether or not their coffee was strong enough that morning.

So, I say be careful and learn what you can, but in the end just keep going and do as much as possible to get a leg up on the competition through honest means.

The key is to try and not do anything that could put your site under scrutiny in the first place, but even that is not a guarantee you'll get axed by them.

Participating in a coop is not dishonest and not trying to 'manipulate" anything in an evil way, it is simply taking advantage of traffic/content/pagerank we have earned. Is that manipulating? If so, so are a lot of things considered commonplace by SEO's.

What is the point in making "manipulation" a dirty word, anyways.

Are you manipulating your wife when you are trying to convince her to eat Chinese instead of leftovers??? Maybe, but so what. That isn't evil and neither is trying to get your links on good web pages by honest means (especially when earned by what you have accomplished or can afford to buy).

What makes it evil to get text links on sites via earned coop points, as opposed to buying them, or through link trades, or search engine and directory listings?

Is the fact that the text link is counted towards popularity evil? Is the fact that a higher PageRank link is more desireable evil?

Stop calling each other names and trying to make words like "manipulate" into a four letter word.

So, I believe instead of stressing over whether the coop plan will get you banned or whether rotating links will be devalued, just spend time on creating sites that look good and deserve to be in the top ten and hope that good intentions will bring karma our way.

When you are successful you always run the risk of being called "four letter words" or being banned by Goo.

1001, Feb 19, 2005 IP
    ResaleBroker and nevetS like this.
  10. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. If Google decides to deprecate fresh links then you are no worse off than before you started the network but at least you have your other SEO techniques to fall back on.

Someone mentioned will Google tell you about what is wrong with your website: Yes they will
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=365207

Someone else mentioned about the google ad network. The link popularity happens to be a great byproduct of what the ad network is about.

Someone else mentioned about getting a website removed from Google. It is not that easy. You can report them but they don't just visit your website and BAM you are out. Look at the following number 1 website:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&ie=UTF-8&q=gift+baskets

Look at their meta tags, and their website. This website is not optimized for the search engines but they were smart enough to know that all they needed was lots of links. They have 20,200 total links in Google.

I know some of the other SEO's that take care of some of the other websites. They have reported this website multiple times for spamming and repeating their keyword phrase. That website has been up there for at least 4 years that I know of.

11. sue

sue Peon

Best Answers:
    - Nope.

Before you start getting everyone's hopes up - 'Google Answers' is not answered by Google employees!!.. Anyone can become a researcher to reply to the questions..

sue, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  12. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, these answers are by independent 'researchers', not actual google search engine staff.

//Sue beat me to it - ca

Christopher, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  13. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I understand that they are researchers however they are the one step before you contact G themselves. These people will disect your website and tell you what is wrong with your website. This is just as good. Did you read that particular one? They disected the guys website down to the first layer of the OSI Model. (no not literally).

Come on, that is good enough that yes, someone will tell you what is wrong with your website and why you were removed from G. They will also give you the answers of how you should change your website before you talk to G in order to have your website reinstated.

14. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    They will indeed and if you look through the many other SEO type questions you will see that sometimes it is good advice and sometimes it is the wrong advice. The reason is quite simple - on an SEO forum like this one you will have many experts commenting and debating the topic which means a built in peer review. Google Answers does not have that and if a so called expert makes an obvious error it is unlikely to be corrected.

It makes for an interesting paradox for the uninitiated because they may well feel that an answer to an SEO question provided on a page sanctioned by Google is more likely to be correct than an answer to the same question on one of the top SEO forums. In practise the opposite is more likely to be true.

- Michael

Michael, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  15. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    That's an excellent point Michael. You can have your website disected either by these researchers or by SEO Forums. I would agree with you that the SEO forums are much better however that wasn't the orginal statement or question.

ProductivePC, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  16. Thewormman

Thewormman Peon

Best Answers:
    Still of the same opinion?

Thewormman, Feb 21, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  17. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Classic stuff...

Follow the money... Who gains?

T0PS3O, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  18. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    LMAO.... Yes I am.

I thought it might be some type of filter however I have read some other posts where people have seen 11K+ backlinks in a week and they were not pulled from MSN. There must be another reason for it. We still have the index page there and G and Yahoo still hold high regards.

ProductivePC, Feb 22, 2005 IP
  19. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    I found out that we had something in the robots.txt file that blocked MSNbot from coming to the website. This has since been removed and now we are number 1 for our keyword phrase in MSN.

ProductivePC, May 26, 2005 IP
  20. jkid

jkid Guest

Best Answers:
    how do you check back links in msn?

jkid, Jun 9, 2005 IP