1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Am I smart priced? Earnings decreased

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by nikmahajan, Jan 6, 2009.

I have a blog in gaming niche which gets more than 5000 UV per day. From last few days especially from the start of the new year, I am seeing that earnings from Adsense are continously decreasing. While I was earning more than $40 earlier, the earnings for today are $16 only. Yesterday it was $25 and day before yesterday it $29 only. So it is decreasing as the days are passing.

This all started from the commencement of new year. Please give some expert advice on how can I comeout of this smart pricing?

nikmahajan, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  2. Ishagmuro

Ishagmuro Peon

Best Answers:
    I got the same problem.
    20>16>8>4!!!
    January is mad, I think this year didn´t began just with a Google Dance.

Ishagmuro, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  3. movidalatina

movidalatina Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well what is your CTR? have you taken a look at the ads?
    would you say they are more or less the same advertisers?

movidalatina, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  4. Ms. Eva

Ms. Eva Peon

Best Answers:
    It's time for an assessment of your ads. Of course earnings are going to fluctuate, but that's pretty drastic to have over a 60% decline in earnings.

Ms. Eva, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To come out of smart pricing, you need to take Adsense out from all the websites you have in your account where the CTR is very low [Lower than 2 or 3%] for a while [1-2 weeks from what I've heard] to get things back to normal. You should also take steps to drive traffic that will result in conversions for the advertisers.

Also

https://adwords.google.com/select/news/sa_mar04.html

lightless, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  6. Ken_Xu

Ken_Xu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to some information I've collected, when we are smart priced we need to remove all of adsense ads from the blog for 20 days to completely free from the effect. Things should be reset to the normal after that. It's advisable to put less ads block or detect and remove which ads block that perform badly.

Well, I'm not expert. But I happened to trapped in this situation twice. So I knew it. It's true that this January is pretty unstable for some publishers...

Ken_Xu, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  7. tonicc

tonicc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use adsblacklist.com for filter low paying ads.

tonicc, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  8. 07.

07. Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is smart priced. I went from 50/day 2 weeks ago, to 20 a day now. Nothing else changed. CTR and visitors are the same. (1 site)

5 days ago, I got a 2nd adsense account because I started a new business.... and the site is paying the same even with a new account.

I think the recession effect is really starting to take it's toll on a lot of niches.

07., Jan 6, 2009 IP
  9. DeanJames

DeanJames Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your earnings pattern does not suggest your account is smart priced.

- Dean

DeanJames, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  10. nhc1987

nhc1987 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm crazy these days too. Earning is very low :(

nhc1987, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  11. nittany

nittany Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am having the same problem. It seems that after Christmas, my adsense eCPM went down by almost 60%. I am scared that I am smart priced, but I am wondering if advertisers are lowering their advertising spend because of the economy.

nittany, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  12. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think the CTR on the publisher's makes a whip of difference, it's how the click converts on the advertiser's site. Unfortunately, publishers can't get those data so we don't know WHAT the CTR on the advertiser's site is so what pages would we remove?

If anything, a HIGH CTR on the publisher's site would be more detrimental because it indicates a lot of clicks, thus the ratio of conversions is probably less.

Adpubster, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  13. eLeSlash

eLeSlash Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im in same situation sadly.

eLeSlash, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  14. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    What many people think is smart pricing often turns out to be nothing more than an infestation of MFA ads. I experienced a drop in earnings after the start of the new year and cleaned house via the ad-filter. It was pretty easy to see the offending sites and, sure enough, after doing so, earnings are back where they were.

Adpubster, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  15. nikmahajan

nikmahajan Active Member

Best Answers:
    How to check MFA and LCPC ads?

nikmahajan, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  16. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some more research needs to be done on smartpricing. Hard to get concrete facts on it. Most information seems to be speculation and/or outdated.

Ofcourse Google reveals very little information of use to publishers. :rolleyes:

lightless, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  17. thehustler

thehustler Active Member

Best Answers:
    My sites have all went down since the first, some not as drastic as you but yes.
    They have always had lulls too.
    I try to change up advertising on the ones that fall too far. I go with a different type of advertiser, textads or amazon on a handful of others. it helps at times.
    You have so many variables and you know your site best. Are you not getting new people and the old are just coming in, they click alot less this is just one variable. The economy is a big factor though on some of my sites and some it doesnt hurt at all.

thehustler, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  18. Hendricius

Hendricius Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the information Google gives us. That doesn't help hence Google does not care that much about publishers, only if you have 20 million page views per month...

I wrote a post about smart pricing and explained everything in detail. Let me know if that was helpful for you and I will help you a little more.

Smart pricing happens when your site generates less conversions than usual and when the advertiser is earning less (his return of investment gets lower).

Hendricius, Jan 16, 2009 IP
    lightless likes this.
  19. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That make sense. We need more case studies to put an end to the many myths and confusions out there.

Smart pricing affecting only one website VS it affecting a whole account. [Contrasting info] :confused:

Site by site basis - [Newer] http://www.webmasterworld.com/google_adsense/3320516.htm [The posts towards the end]

And your experience as stated on your blog, of course.

Entire account - [Older] http://www.jensense.com/2005/10/25/one-poorly-converting-site-can-smart-price-an-entire-adsense-account/

lightless, Jan 16, 2009 IP