1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to stop exploit attempts on WP?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by devilkitty, Jan 15, 2009.

Ok so i woke up this morning and was checking a few things on one my sites that runs WP.

I noticed a bunch of odd url's that someone (or more likely something) tried to get to on my site. AN example of the nastiness attempted can be seen below :

**/select/**/concat(0x3a,user_login,0x3a,user_pass,0x3a),2/**/from/**/wp_users/**/where/**/user_id=1/*
    Code (markup):
    My question is, is there anyway to stop these commands from being executed if they happen to find a weakness? Can it be stopped via htaccess or some piece of code? Even if there is no weakness, there's no legitimate reason for a user to try and enter these commands is there? (I wouldn't of thought so lol, just want to make sure the server or script itself doesn't need to use similar strings)

I'm kinda thinking that if theres no real reason to use codes like this, then is it possible to redirect the offender to a different site? Say Google for example.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

devilkitty, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  2. ThreeGuineaWatch

ThreeGuineaWatch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you seeing these in the httpd logs? Does your hosting company use mod_sec or other such filters? If so, ask them to look at your issue and they might be able to help you.

ThreeGuineaWatch, Jan 15, 2009 IP
    devilkitty likes this.
  3. devilkitty

devilkitty Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey threeguineawatch, thanks for the reply.

I spotted them this morning in the backend of WP using statpress. Same IP tried 6 or 7 different codes.

My sites run on a VPS so there's a good chance that mod_sec (or something similar) is running (i had someone who knows far mroe than i do set it up.)

Cheers :)

Dan

devilkitty, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What version of wordpress are you using?

pipes, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  5. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you can ban the offending IP addresses in your htaccess file.

mizaks, Jan 15, 2009 IP
    devilkitty likes this.
  6. devilkitty

devilkitty Peon

Best Answers:
    - 2.6 something, upgrading the script now

- Cool, any idea if theres a way to stop them before the url is entered? So like a php script of some kind that checks to see if a similar piece of code is in the url, and if it is to redirect them?

Was hoping for a pre emptive strike lol. (Aren't we all?)

Thanks for the replies so far guys, greatly appreciated.

Dan

devilkitty, Jan 16, 2009 IP