1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

YSM Sucks - Want to Know Why? Add to My List

Discussion in 'Yahoo Search Marketing' started by Spliffic, Jul 24, 2008.

YSM sucks bigtime. I found a profitable niche on Google and thought I would try my luck in YSM (again) and so I setup my campaigns/adgroups and then blam! "Campaign Services Unavailable" "We're sorry. We could not process your request at this time. Please try again later. "

The overall stability of YSM is shit. I remember I tried using it about 3 months ago and found it sucked because of the stability and the high CPC prices. If they want to stay in business, they really need to get their shit together but this is just retarded.

Spliffic, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  2. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its a big company people will still use it even if it doesn't convet.

shahab6, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  3. kevinfishburne

kevinfishburne Peon

Best Answers:
    I knew Google had a majority market share in search, but didn't realize by how much until emulating my AdWords campaign in YSM. I'm actually starting to think that no one uses Yahoo search or has Yahoo ads on their web pages. I've gotten a painfully small number of impressions and clicks, with search and content networks enabled.

I'm begging for my money to be spent. Maybe Yahoo makes money now by investing the cash sitting in people's YSM accounts, sorta like a bank. I could use broad matching instead of exact matching, and pretend all the random junk clicks are worth the $200. Google should buy Yahoo and cannibalize them. Then they could change their slogan from "Do no evil" to "Search and destroy". Sounds much cooler.

Ironically I'm planning on expanding into MSN next. I have a gut feeling it will be an even sadder experience. If Yahoo is #2, then #3 must really suck.

kevinfishburne, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  4. feeji

feeji Peon

Best Answers:
    i actually do all of my business using yahoo. i find that they convert very well but it probably depends on the niche.

feeji, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  5. Freddy81

Freddy81 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It began to convert well when I switched off the Content Match. However, I'm seeing very strange referring pages from Sponsored Search. Can anyone tell me how to disable these? :

price-burner.com
    findstuff.com
    searchexplorer.com
    avantfind.com
    sopping.yahoo.com and news.yahoo.com

Freddy81, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  6. idigtravel

idigtravel Peon

Best Answers:
    You should be able to filter those domains. I found that I was burning through clicks until I switched off a couple of domains. Now I get a very nice conversion rate.

idigtravel, Aug 12, 2008 IP
  7. jdmkidd

jdmkidd Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried to sign up but they wont accept my landing page url its over 35 characters sigh...

jdmkidd, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  8. rosetrees

rosetrees Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not surprised. I'm trying to find out how to put Yahoo ads on my site and all I can find is info on how to advertise. I guess I'm not the only one.

ps - new member here. I joined to see if I could find out about Yahoo advertising!

rosetrees, Aug 16, 2008 IP
  9. KL7

KL7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Traffic from yahoo.com converts very well, depending on the niche and competition. But they mix high quality traffic from yahoo SE with the traffic from their "partners" - most of them are fake portals that send bot clicks or very very low quality clicks. If you can filter this fake traffic, you'll convert.

Recently (at least in UK) YSM introduced "blocked domains" feature that allows you to block up to 250 domains for your account. But the bad thing is that the feature does not work properly. I try to block fake 1-2 domains that send me 80% of traffic but still get clicks, although in decreased amount. Does somebody have an experience of effectively filtering all the requested domains?

I added "www.domain .com", "domain.com", "domain.com/us/" but filter does not work 100% of time.

KL7, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  10. jabier

jabier Peon

Best Answers:
    Try using redirect. A simple php script to redirect would be :

<?php
    header( 'Location: [url]http://www.your35charactersdomain.com/morecharactersforlandingpage.html[/url]' ) ;
    ?>

Code (markup):
    In YSM Ads destination URL, you can put that index.php file or whatever you name it for domain or page that less than 35 character (e.g. www.getherefirst.com/index.php).

jabier, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  11. drifty

drifty Peon

Best Answers:
    I currently use Yahoo now since I got banned from adwords (supposedly had too many trademark violations....zune, apple, etc), but I definitely don't see the traffic that google gets.

Does anyone know if yahoo has a site targeted option, I can't seem to find it in my account? Everytime I start a campaign it just goes straight into setting up a keyword list. I have a profitable campaign, but I can't get enough clicks, so I'm looking for more options to get targeted clicks.

thanks,
    Brian

drifty, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  12. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yes, enabled content match.

MeetHere, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  13. tjsocr22

tjsocr22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I actually found that not only with YSM but also with site explorer and Yahoo Answers, i always get the 999 error because they cannot connect. They must have a really bad server or something.

tjsocr22, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  14. Marlz

Marlz Peon

Best Answers:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but:

No real analytics tool
    No campaign upload except for gold members
    Crappy layout
    Apparently no ad preview tool
    All geo-locations are separate therefore you have to open up multiple accounts to cover different parts of the world
    Higher CPC
    No offline editor

That's what I have found so far

Marlz, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  15. Oleko

Oleko Member

Best Answers:
    yahoo services are the worst ones ever, in every little detail.

Oleko, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  16. kabita1

kabita1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am using YSM for long time and I am not getting any problem from them , rather their traffics are quality traffic. Moreover I got $100 credit also for sign up:)

kabita1, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  17. Spliffic

Spliffic Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol THAT'S IT?? :)

I can also add, content network results for search campaigns. No Ad scheduling. I mean how stupid, you can't even turn off your ads during certain times of the day when your conversions suck etc. MSN is way better than YPN in terms of the Big 3

Spliffic, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  18. Henry Andersson

Henry Andersson Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say no offline editor is enough to prefer google 1000 times. It is so lame that such a big company as Yahoo do not pay 2 programmers to create an offline editor that would boost the number of YSM users to the sky.

I would fire the entire YSM developers team right away.

Henry Andersson, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  19. Oleko

Oleko Member

Best Answers:
    I think that such kind of thing happens:
    Google PAYS money to Yahoo, just for the bad work in all directions! Or second variant - Google people are inside Yahoo, and they do all they can to get Yahoo down. And the third variant - Yahoo now belongs to Google (ain't I right?), and Google makes very clever and pussyfooting game, to promote itself by showing the world that there is no other alternatives to Google. Google maybe pays to Yahoo people just for the work what they do saying "Guys, do everything you do in Yahoo just cosmically bad and stupid". It's the biggest Google self-advertisment.
    Doesn't it seem like truth?

Oleko, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  20. robinko

robinko Peon

Best Answers:
    How to solve this problem ?

robinko, Feb 27, 2009 IP