1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Million Dollar Question: What's the Evolutionary Purpose of a Hymen?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by aletheides, Jan 13, 2009.

Rub3x brought up a good point in the Religious Abstinence thread, which I have also pondered.

I thought about it a lot actually, if we are built to screw then shouldn't it be culturally "norm" for us to just screw each other, without marriage or serious commitment?

But then I realized, women are born with hymens - something evolution has placed there to make it actually *difficult* for us to reproduce... a hindrance to life which evolution has placed there? Does it make any sense?

So the question is:

What's the evolutionary purpose of a hymen?

aletheides, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Better ask Larry Flint from Hustler or Joe Francis from "Girls Gone Wild"

They are likely to know ;)

britishguy, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  3. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not everything has an evolutionary purpose. Some things just are. Some organ parts are vestiges of something else, so they don't have a purpose by themselves. Also evolution is not exactly a purposeful intelligent person/force [That's supposed to be god, right?].

Some women aren't born with a hymen. Did they get special exception from the evolutionary purpose or what? Plus I don't think the hymen makes human reproduction "difficult".

lightless, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  4. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Evolution isn't perfect, it is continuous trial and error, every so often one of those trials succeeds.

drmike, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  5. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure - the appendix once thought to be useless has now been found to actually play a role in providing a safe house for germs. People without tonsils are 4x more likely to develop Hodgkin’s disease, it fights germs.

There are possibly many other organs similar we have yet to understand, but for now have been deemed worthless.

Excluding abornmalities, the vast majority of women are born with hymens. In order for a women to reproduce, she must first have her hymen broken which is a painful process - this doesn't make reproduction difficult but its an initial barrier to reproduction... which evolution should have phased out long ago ????

6. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could look at this from the other side as well.... perhaps the hymen was developed to proove to us that casual sex is required and that you do need to have sex for fun before you can have sex for its real purpose.

drmike, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  7. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Evolution is not exactly a purposeful intelligent person/force as I said. And humans have been humans only for relatively small period of time. [Looking from the perspective of evolution, which is a looooong term force]

8. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly.
    /rubs my man nipples

LogicFlux, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  9. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to your avatar I just had an image of Bob Ross rubbing his nipples... I need to go puke now.

drmike, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  10. earthfaze

earthfaze Peon

Best Answers:
    Off the top of my head, doesn't having a period weaken the hymen over time? As a natural barrier to pregnancy I would assume it was natures way of keeping prepubescent girls from dying out due to pregnancies their body wasn't ready to bear. I'm really ignorant about womens health so I probably am wrong :)

earthfaze, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  11. earthfaze

earthfaze Peon

Best Answers:
    They're for confused babies to pinch so you know they are hungry. Hurts like hell.

earthfaze, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  12. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When thinking about evolutionary origins of organs and parts of the body it's usually best to start thinking about what benefits having one has, or may have had, over not having one.

So, The hymen is a membrane that seals (or partially seals) the opening of the vagina. The main benefit to having this would obviously be a reduction in the risk of infection in prepubescent girls. Other animals have hymen, including most of the equine family, some birds and even insects. In insects the hymen would serve the purpose of preventing sexual intercourse before maturity, So it's possible that the human hymen is a vestigial of this function though would still serve to reduce the risk of infection.

stOx, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  13. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with you evolution isn't intelligent, but its an efficient force and it has one goal in mind: to sustain and promote life.

That's true - I find it interesting that humans have developed a hymen in this short period of time, since Gorillas do not have one. I assumed they did but just looked it up.

True, it may be a vestige which protects against bacteria in young girls who haven't developed the "bacteria destroyer" fluid found in a mature mature womans vagina - just some speculation I haven't looked it up.

14. Rub3X

Rub3X Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's often broken before sex even occurs in a lot of women. A lot of the time tampons, or physical activity can break or tear it. For this reason I doubt it's a way of "regulating" our sex.

It's definitely not a good way of telling if a girl has had sex.

Rub3X, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  15. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how long till some nuts brings up a brilliant "science cannot explain the origin of hymen -- ergo god puts it there to signal the loss of virginity -- ergo god exists"

cientificoloco, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  16. TheNoose

TheNoose Peon

Best Answers:
    Not long I assume. It's only a matter of time. Got sent a video by a member here today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A

The things these people come up with.

TheNoose, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  17. britishguy

Best Answers:
  18. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    The most retarded thing I've seen in a long time.

The funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

lol

britishguy likes this.
  19. britishguy

Best Answers:

Can you imagine the pitch of the screams if it was powered by a heavy duty battery too
    :D

20. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's old news. Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.