1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google giving the OK to Premium Publishers Cloaking?

Discussion in 'Google' started by sweetfunny, Dec 28, 2008.

1. maxerg

maxerg Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, that's news to me. But i want to see if this will be implemented cause it's simply the death of any subscription service. Users will be able to reach the premium content for free every time they click it from Google.

I'm sure this will be revised cause it's clearly flawed.

maxerg, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  2. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    It's optin by the webmaster, nobody is forcing anybody to optin to First Click Free. Also i repeat, the site in this post is not utilizing FCF otherwise the whole content would be visible to users clicking from the SERP's.

This site is flat out cloaking, there's no "maybe" involved and it's also fraudulently boosting Adsense clicks by driving traffic to pages where the actual content is not available to visitors, no different to content in hidden Div's.

The only thing that's flawed is your understanding of this whole situation.

sweetfunny, Dec 28, 2008 IP
    scubita likes this.
  3. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Jeez, I don't even know why this needs to be discussed... it's cloaking alright and those of you who disagree with it, stop spam, read a book.

JohnS0N, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  4. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Exactly it's not even close to borderline, it's 100% flat out cloaking and worse yet it's a premium publisher and Matt deleted the comment that was on his blog and done nothing.

If any of us done this, we would be de-indexed and banned from Adsense.

sweetfunny, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  5. Blinked

Blinked Guest

Best Answers:
    The site at hand is clearly not percieved as deceptive.

Blinked, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  6. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Why, because it's making Google a ton of money in Adsense?

How about the whole internet feeds content to Google, but ads to visitors instead? It would render Google useless and make us heaps of money, so i think that's a great idea don't you?.

sweetfunny, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  7. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The site is obviously cloaking, it doesn't matter if it is intended to get people to sign up, etc, as maxerg keeps pointing out. Showing one thing to a bot and another thing to a user is cloaking, period.

sweetfunny, as you say, if myself or any other non premium publisher were to do this then we would be banned. As a non premium publisher I am not sure what the terms are for premium accounts, therefore I would assume it is something which they are allowed to do.

The fact that Matt deleted the comment could just mean that the subject isn't up for debate.

We all know that premium publishers have privileges that normal accounts don't have. This could just be another of those perks.

SilkySmooth, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  8. dugu

dugu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I seriously doubt that Google is depending on sites like that one for Adsense revenue. Google gets 90% of clicks in-house, on Google.com. That type of site probably earns Google a 0.0000001% of its profit, so I think the site is just miss looked by some filter and that will soon be penalized. Gogle isn't going to risk its reputation for a bunch of premium advertisers.

dugu, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  9. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    As a Premium Publisher, you still must comply with all the Webmaster Guidelines for Search. You just get far more flexibility with ad display such as size, colors and font, keeping the "Ads by Google" is optional as well as things like having your own manager and being able to negotiate revenue share.

There is nothing at all in the deal that allows you to cloak content, if there was all the major sites would start feeding content to bots and ads to people to drive up their revenue.

sweetfunny, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  10. vihutuo

vihutuo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The site is cloaking and it does not deserve to rank.
    I dont mind websites selling products or selling wordpress themes and ranking for the products. But if a website ranks for "Free Wordpress themes" by deception and then when a user visits the site and he finds out that he has to pay for the themes it is clearly deceiving and cheating and a waste of time for the user..

Here the website has ranked for some information which the user feels that he will get it for free since google bot too got it free, but when he reaches there he finds that the information is not available and then he needs to sign up or even pay for the info, that is clearly deception

vihutuo, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  11. zingo

zingo Peon

Best Answers:
    zingo, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  12. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No. The last time I've reviewed the TOS, you could have 3 ad units + 3 link units.

JohnS0N, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  13. CerIs

CerIs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same as always, google has one rule for some sites and another for other sites. Its why i never listen to any of their webmaster guidelines

CerIs, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  14. JosephineX

JosephineX Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate this kind of thing, especially when you try to find something on Google. I think it's cloaking and it should be punished.

JosephineX, Jan 9, 2009 IP