1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

6 months of designing - First try at designing web layouts

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Razz910, Jan 4, 2009.

Well, I have only been designing for 6 months - I'm a self taught "designer".
    I actually never did a web layout, I only did couple of logos, and forum signatures.
    Well here is my try at web layout designing:
    [​IMG]

The coffee thing was something random, I was really trying to finish and just threw it in there to cover up that spot.

Anyways, please give me some pointer, tips, constructive crtisism, anything that can help me.
    Oh and thanks innovati for that awesome post you made on the other thread about all those points in web designing :)

Razz910, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  2. Jeehan

Jeehan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cool looking layout. But try to reduce the size of the header. ppl dont want to scroll that much. and in 800X600 resolution ppl can only see the header not the content. And you can try some contrast color . text color can be changed to clear reading. Good luck.

Jeehan, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  3. johnhinds

johnhinds Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey that is pretty sharp. Nice work. I might recommend making the body copy darker so it is easier on the eyes. Other than that, I like it.

johnhinds, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  4. Razz910

Razz910 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I'll try something with the header.
    About the color, I was thinking of making the content text faded black but it came out too strong.

Thanks, and you mean the "About Me" section right?
    If so, I'm going to try that later ;)

Razz910, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  5. SornSoft

SornSoft Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty nice work for a first timer, looks like most the damn templates they sell are those theme sites for $49.99

SornSoft, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  6. johnhinds

johnhinds Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is correct. The About Me area, your main text area. You want to keep that readable and with high contrast to the background.

johnhinds, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  7. river

river Active Member

Best Answers:
    The layout works fine but I would try to incorporate some other colors into the design.

I generally go to a color scheme website where I enter the color # which generates a few color scheme options.

river, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  8. aciid

aciid Peon

Best Answers:
    Sleek and simple, I like

aciid, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  9. jinnah

jinnah Active Member

Best Answers:
    I c it is pretty advanced for the 1st timer. But that header is so huge.just reduce it's size. And if it is too heavy yet then slice the header. Text color is not sight frindly incontrast with ur background. So u need to change any of both things.

jinnah, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  10. Brukhar

Brukhar Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, I'll break down some things that could be improved:

1. Reduce header size.
    2. Barely darken the non-active text for the navigation menu.
    3. Choose a more standard content font (Arial, Verdana). Otherwise you'll have to use SIFR to make the text display properly.
    4. Clean up the bottom edge of the coffee cup (it's a little rough).

But overall, great start for a first time designer. :)

Brukhar, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  11. steelfrog

steelfrog Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, I'm going to draw it out, so please bear with me as I may start to ramble on after a while.

Fonts
    • The font you selected is a bit too futuristic for the design style you've chosen.
    • Your content's text is using the same font as your titles. Since it is not a standard font, you should be using Verdana, Arial or Times instead since many people will not have it installed.
    • Some of your text does not have sufficient color contrast between it and the background. Light blue on a white background doesn't cut it.

Layout
    • Your header is too far from your content, leaving a wide empty gap with no content.
    • If it were up to me, I'd move the title in front of the gradient/white burst you have at the top right.
    • When filling up your layout with 'dummy' text, try using a text generator such as Lipsum.
    • Your search box has no submit button. It'll annoy browsers to have to hit 'Enter' if they want to search your site.

That's all I have for now. It's a bit hard to properly critique a layout when there is no content in it. Good luck!

steelfrog, Jan 6, 2009 IP
    Razz910 likes this.
  12. momiexx

momiexx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nice work but replace the header with sample text and it will be verry cool

momiexx, Jan 7, 2009 IP