1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I protect images from my webiste?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by geester1, Jan 5, 2009.

i've noticed several IP addresses accessing my site and downloading my images, how cna I provent this happening? We know this happens as our unique product has been copied by several people before.

geester1, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  2. Vozzek

Vozzek Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but you really can't.

You could disable browsing of your /images folder, and that might help a little, but you'll want to leave it accessible in your robots.txt file so that you reap the benefits of a google image search.

You could disable right-clicking, but that's kinda humorous to me considering I can click 'Print Screen' and paste the image to any paint program I own.

Even if you could disable the Print Screen button, there are freeware screencap programs that would enable people to do the same thing.

I suppose if you did all of the above you'd eliminate 90% of image theft, at least from the less computer-literate people. But then again the people who are stealing your images are probably using them in a web-based way, which would make them computer literate.

Unfortunately, by putting your work on the internet you're exposing it to be copied... whether it's morally right or wrong doesn't matter, it's gonna happen anyway.

Vozzek, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  3. SGBoise

SGBoise Peon

Best Answers:
    You can put your watermark on it or look into a flash photo gallery.

SGBoise, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  4. JWRmedia

JWRmedia Banned

Best Answers:
    You can't protect your images from being downloaded. About the only thing you can do is add a watermark.

I've written a very simple script that will automatically add watermarks on images. It's called Automark and can be downloaded for free here:

Automark v1.1

JWRmedia, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  5. xxdomainxx

xxdomainxx Banned

Best Answers:
    Use htaccess to block blank refers and hotlinks.

here's the code
    NOTE: Make sure the image "warningimage.jpg" is is the root and its not hotlink protected or your server can go into an endless loop.

xxdomainxx, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  6. MelogKnaj

MelogKnaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    You do realize that by people simply looking at your webpage they are downloading the images in their browser catch right? If you don't want this happening don't put your pictures online.

MelogKnaj, Jan 5, 2009 IP