1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Good niche?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Skuvnar, Jan 5, 2009.

Hi guys,

I am thinking of creating a website that has javascript programming tutorials. Is programming a good niche to go into?

Has anyone here found programming to be a profitable niche?

Many thanks guys.

Skuvnar, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should create a website or forum on a topic that you have knowledge about or a passion for. For the "money" or "for the current hot topic" is not something to create a website or forum on. If the topic does not interest you, or if you do not know anything about the topic, you will lose interest and the site will fade away.

I have been to a lot of "webmaster forums" and the person who opened the site did not even know the first thing about running a site. The owner of the community should set an example for his / her members. What kind of example will you be setting?

You do not have to answer these questions, they are food for thought - How much do you know about javascript? Is this something you do for a living? do you have a formal education on Java? Did you go to college to learn Java? How much do you really have to offer the website with your current knowledge?

Or, are you just hoping to tap into a certain market and just hoping to use java?

If you are hoping to open a website on java, and you do not know a single thing about the topic - then do not do it.

If you are a professional, and have something to offer the java community,then by all means open your site.

~kev~, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  3. wrekoniz3

wrekoniz3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Programming is no longer a good niche, because everyone's doing it these days... The margins are too low.

wrekoniz3, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  4. tmontana

tmontana Guest

Best Answers:
    i agree with zaccaria, the competiton is very strong

tmontana, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  5. JWRmedia

JWRmedia Banned

Best Answers:
    If someone has a very good niche figured out, they will not come out and tell everyone, because it would no longer be a good niche, as the market would get flooded. :)

However, when it comes to programming, I agree with those in this thread, that the niche has a lot of competition, but then you can't generally say that any field is "flooded". There are an infinate amount of ways you can deliver the content. You can't just sum up an entire subject in the word "niche". There are blogs, social networks, forums, static sites, etc.

And then on top of that there are all the marketing methods you can use. Then on top of THAT there are all the ways you can monetize the site.

To say anything is flooded is almost impossible to be either right or wrong. It all depends on your creativity.

JWRmedia, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  6. Skuvnar

Skuvnar Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow thanks for the great replies guys,

Good questions. Actually I am well versed in programming - just curious to know if there is any monetary benefit in creating a programming tutorial style website. But yeah my main fear is that I'll come to a halt with my VERY limited marketing skills. Heck I can't even sell if my life depends on it...

Out of curiousity have you tried it, or is this common knowledge?

Many thanks

Skuvnar, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  7. alber859

alber859 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, it will be better for you if you have a real interest for the topic of your website...

alber859, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  8. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you've a interest in it, then go for it. Try to build a community and you will see profits coming in. But if you solely want to setup a site for adsense or any other network, without much interest in the niche then you won't be able to make good amount of money as competition is tough. It would require great deal of work to push it without an interest.

mixke, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  9. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is true. You can make money out of any topic that you have a passion to. Just be active on your site and try to your daily SEO.

Chancey, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  10. wrekoniz3

wrekoniz3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now there's a good starting idea.

wrekoniz3, Jan 6, 2009 IP