1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dot info domains

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by EddieX, Jan 5, 2009.

I didn't see a topic on this this that had the answers I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for "It's not good because I don't like it"

I'm trying to find advantages to a .info.
    There are these domains I want as .coms but those are taken and everything else is taken down to the .org...

.info is like the rural area while .com is the big city when it comes to domains.

I'm trying to see if there is any value.

The site would be a site for a specific city, would try to sell ads to big companies but for the most part it is an info site...maybe some job ads...

Looking for constructive discussions.

EddieX, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  2. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be sad.If all the extension is taken then you can take the .info extension coz the .info is nothing more or less special then .com
    And google doesn't discriminate whether you using .info or .com
    As long as you do some promotion work such as link building,then your domain also will be well know.

mentos, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  3. napa

napa Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some great .info domains available. It's a good idea if you want to make a site and promote it. Dot info is far better choice than some new silly extensions like .mobi or .me.

napa, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  4. Maev

Maev Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking of starting a new website with information about a specific subject, some good domains are still available but the one with both keywords I'm aiming at is not available in .com. Should I go for the .info because my website will contain information about a specific subject or is it better to use .com because it looks more professional?

Maev, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  5. JWRmedia

JWRmedia Banned

Best Answers:
    I think people only value things based on their cost. Because .info domains only cost anywhere from 1-2 bucks each, people value them as practiaclly worthless. Since .com's cost more, people value them more.

Don't get me wrong... that's not the only reason. .com's ARE worth more as it's the most widely used domain extension out there, I'm just saying the costs involved, in my opinion, are somewhat of a factor when it comes to value.

JWRmedia, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  6. domainloco.net

domainloco.net Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I absolutely love dot infos. I own over 300 of them and I plan on developing 5 page adsense blogs making $2 a week each making $600 a week on something that cost me $.99 to register. :)

domainloco.net, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  7. icon225

icon225 Peon

Best Answers:
    your exactly right when you say .com are huge and info small, i think because there so cheap they to register sometimes like 3 bucks or something, mainly spammy seo's reg them to develop spam blog networks or... splog networks or whatever there called i.e a network of spammy blogs with duped content from rss feeds filled up with blogroll links to other stes just to pass on the pr juice, basically... this is one of the reasons i personally think why they loose there value

icon225, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  8. Marksus8

Marksus8 Peon

Best Answers:
    .info just seems cheaper, like cookie cutter websites, personally, i would rather visit .com

Marksus8, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  9. UAA

UAA Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's not a bad idea to use .info for a website ;)

UAA, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  10. jimminy64

jimminy64 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but think about it in a laypersons point of view, if they don't know the cost of a .info compared to a .com, they wouldn't care. Who knows? Maybe to some they look more proffesional.

jimminy64, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  11. CWI Tech Guy

CWI Tech Guy Guest

Best Answers:
    I had a different argument with regards to the validity of .info domains in their favor, and was going to post it, yet when chatting with another tech on his thoughts, my view has changed.
    Your DotCom is always going to be the most desirable and marketable domain. People often assume that any domain worth visiting will be accessible at .com. Their are obvious exceptions to this where ample time, SEO and marketing have lead minds to a different extension by default such as Wikipedia.org ( although wikipedia.com exists, it forwards straight to .org)

This is not to say that .info domains are worthless, or negligible as they are gold to the right organization. I will use Wikipedia again as an example as they have effectively used various domains to their advantage.
    Goto

http://www.wikipedia.com -> forwards to http://www.wikipedia.org

http://www.wikipedia.net - > http://www.wikipedia.org

Now here is where it changes

http://www.wikipedia.us - > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page - This is the main page for the English version
    and last but not least

http://www.wikipedia.info - > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page - The same page, but obviously the .info domain was relevant enough that it did not just forward to .org as the rest did.

My point being that .info is not the greatest domain extension to start with, as you would be better off with an easy to remember .com domain. If you can get a .com version of something similar, use that and keep your dot-info for strategic marketing.

CWI Tech Guy, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  12. GDHman

GDHman Guest

Best Answers:
    I much prefer .com, and .net I think it looks more professional, and doesn't seem splogish to me. That being said, I am going to be setting up 15-20 .infos as just that splogs, informational sites for reference. Nothing to big, just enough to add to my list of money machines. My next big site (that will hopefully become viral) will be a .com in fact I'm in the process of figuring out a name for the new site, because the original name wasn't available in a .com. So it depends on how big you want to grow. If you want to suck viewers off of larger sites, go for it, if not, and you want something serious, go with .com at all costs. And personally I will only go with .net if .com is in one of those domain resellers, who generally only register .com My .02

GDHman, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  13. EddieX

EddieX Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't expect many responses.

Thanks for responding everyone.

Still not sure what to do since I can't seem to find anything relevant as a dot com. One of the domains I found as a dot net but the dot com is for a hotel of the same name.

I thought dot info since they are info sites but I can't get past the stigma of it being cheap.

EddieX, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  14. Dean26

Dean26 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Pros
    Its a gTLD so it doesn't loose anything in terms of search engine ranking.
    Its cheap to reg, only $1 at GoDaddy.
    It seems to have a reasonable amount of awareness at this point in time so its not really an unknown extension.
    You say the site will fit the .info extension.

Cons
    Its not .com.
    .info has a reputation for being used for a lot of spam sites.
    Some might think 4 letter is to long for an extension.
    Being only $1 too reg makes it loose some integrity.

Good luck with your decision.

Dean26, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  15. weboweb

weboweb Peon

Best Answers:
    My opinion is about the same as Marksus8's. Usually my expectations are low when visiting a .info from google (the biggest exception being regular-expressions.info). With that said, I've never avoided a website purely because it has a .info TLD. .biz is another story though ;)

I think laypersons would probably not have such expectations and it would just be a matter of whether they can remember the TLD. I'd take .info over a domain hack or gimmicky domains like .tv if my target audience was the general public and the domain might end up on a business card. It definitely feels more professional to me personally.

If you can't find a decent .com or .org (or even .net) then go for it. You are in a good position restricting yourself to a specific city rather than trying to get your name out around the globe.

weboweb, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  16. damianiac

damianiac Guest

Best Answers:
    The value in a .info domain is really going to depend on if the .info adds value to it. I just sold the domain stabilize.me for over $1000 and you can see why stabilize.info would not have the same value, whereas if you had the domain finding.info it could be valuable because it is easy to remember and makes sense together.

damianiac, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  17. domainloco.net

domainloco.net Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great point! I agree with you completely, the point of this TLD is to provide information on the subject. So having a one word domain helps, Subject.info is ideal.

domainloco.net, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  18. ripejuice

ripejuice Peon

Best Answers:
    .info was valuable until godaddy put them a cheap $.99 tag.

ripejuice, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  19. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Look...It's very simple. Unless you are building a big site for a company, a site that you are going to put a lot of money into it and promote it for good keywords, there is no harm taking the dot info. Though me, personally, always takes the .com, I never take or use other extensions then the .com and that's because all of my sites are serious and I believe in the idea.

wounded1987, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  20. stylesB

stylesB Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your site is focused at delivering any sort of information on a product, niche, topic... then it should work fine... remember the layperson (normal surfer) doesnt consider any of this when cruising the web

stylesB, Jan 9, 2009 IP