1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Security & SEO SMF VS MyBB

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by hamonpari, Dec 29, 2008.

Hi,

I would like to know that Which is better in terms of SEO and Security,

SMF

OR

MYbb

SMF file size is bigger on the other hand mybb alexa rank is too much than SMF,

Please reply accordingly,

hamonpari, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  2. TheHappyInternetMan

TheHappyInternetMan Banned

Best Answers:
    hamonpari,

In terms of SEO, I believe they would be near the same since they are both a forum.

As far as security, SMF has less "open exploits" than MYbb.

I am not sure of the encryption of which each use.
    I knew older versions of SMF were not salted, where as I think MYbb are salted... {don't quote me on this}

So it is near an open split, but for actual entry, I would choose SMF to be the safer bet.

EDIT: After some research it appears SMF uses a salted hash, which is not as easy to decrypt as a hash or plaintext password is{plaintext being that the password is visible in the database}, I looked around MYbb and I didn't see what kind of encryption they use, so if you know someone that has one you may want to ask them on ask on their community forum.

TheHappyInternetMan, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  3. hamonpari

hamonpari Peon

Best Answers:
    nice... anyother info please.... also forum matrix shows that smf need to function very well with plugins for simple tasks to be done.

4. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    SMF is salted + SHA. Doesn't myBB still use md5?

shadow82x, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  5. TheHappyInternetMan

TheHappyInternetMan Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe so shadow82x... I think most phpbb "alike" have md5 still... I remember within the last year that the md5 hashes were not even salted.

But yeah, md5 is one of the easiest to decrypt, so get away from it companies.

TheHappyInternetMan, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  6. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have always found the SMF style of URLs to be very ugly. I am not sure if it effects the SERPs though.

Mybb I can discuss at length. It comes already with SEF urls like these:

http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-2210.html
    http://www.mybbcentral.com/forum-27.html

Now here are SMF urls:
    http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=251309.0
    http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=251309.0;prev_next=next#new

The commas, dots, and other characters imho are weird.

And btw I pointed to an SMF thread that does discuss SEO friendliness by SMF fans. It appears they have a carefree attitude about it.

Mybb passwords are salted and as yet are not cracked and it's extremely unlikely they will be. MD5 is more universal and not all hosts support SHA (but they should). I also believe VB uses MD5 too.

Mybb has NO OPEN EXPLOITS. Where do you get your information from..guessing and speculation? And MYBB releases security updates on published exploits within hours.

If you want proof of how secure a Mybb is...check out my site http://www.hackforums.net where I get hack attempts DAILY. It's a huge target where I deal with people trying to exploit the site constantly. Mybb has NEVER failed me. NEVER. I keep it updated and so far no 0 day attacks have successfully occured.

The only big advantage of SMF imho is the larger community they have there but I still believe that's because SMF users need more help than people using Mybb which imho is very intuitive. Ultimately you should install both as either of these will be a good choice.

RectangleMan, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  7. Bendo

Bendo Peon

Best Answers:
    Google themselves recommend not rewriting urls, therefore as far as google is concerned, there is no difference between thread-2210.html and index.php?topic=251309.0. The only valid reason to rewrite url's is for humans, i.e. adding useful words to the url, which for a forum, is generally pointless as people don't tend to look for content on a forum by remembering it's url.

As for MD5 being more universal, it's a pointless point in reality as SHA1 is supported by PHP > 4.3, and SMF, of course, provides it's own function for PHP versions below that hosting support is irrelevant.

edit, surely when comparing url's you should be compairing url's that provide the same function?

thus

http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-2210.html
    http://www.mybbcentral.com/forum-27.html

Against

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=251309.0
    http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=2.0

Bendo, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  8. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Maybe you need to read again what Google actually says. At no point do they say it's a disadvantage to use SEF urls.

I can easily pick that apart one line at a time but generally speaking Google doesn't want to tell webmasters how to gain SERP advantages. They simple don't. They want to rely on content and natural traffic but as webmasters we are looking for advantages. SEF can be one of those advantages and everyone knows it. I don't place a great deal of importance on it. However I don't dismiss it entirely either.

And btw...just read all the comments on that page basically laughing at the blog post.

RectangleMan, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  9. hamonpari

hamonpari Peon

Best Answers:
    So, what is the final result, I think I should go with MyBB

10. Bendo

Bendo Peon

Best Answers:
    Quite, and by the same token, they are also saying there is no advantage.

Bendo, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  11. jamuna

jamuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    go with myBB

jamuna, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  12. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should test out both softwares and see which one you like. Use a service like opensourecms.com. With SMF I have always had a good google page rank until recently when I transferred domains.

shadow82x, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  13. JustAStranger

JustAStranger Guest

Best Answers:
    smf is programmed way more professional.
    If you want a secure forum I'd got for SMF.
    It also is very very nice to organize for admins

JustAStranger, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  14. hamonpari

hamonpari Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok. I will go with SMF... this is final... Now please advice some basic steps to perform after installation on the SMF on server, thanks in advance

hamonpari, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  15. shadow82x

shadow82x Active Member

Best Answers:
    shadow82x, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  16. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Oh such a pretty url: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=2.0;sort=subject

I would like for you to explain that with more detail.

Wrong again...

They state clearly that there are advantages to static URLs though they downplay it as "slight". There are advantages and it's argued how much of an advantage there is. For instance the VBSEO camp is totally convinced it's a huge advantage and they might be right. For me I concentrate on content but I am fully aware that having nice URLs are of some importance too.

Google never gives out the information very clearly about how to better your ranking. It's not in their interests to give webmasters ammunition to attack their results. They can easily by using disinformation just to simply help curb abuse by downplaying certain aspects of his their algorithm works. URLs do mean something.

RectangleMan, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  17. Bendo

Bendo Peon

Best Answers:
  18. hamonpari

hamonpari Peon

Best Answers:
    SMF Sucks, after one hour of installation.. "MySQL Gone Away" to do what...

hamonpari, Jan 4, 2009 IP
    ~kev~ likes this.
  19. Bendo

Bendo Peon

Best Answers:
    Then it's your host that sucks.

Bendo, Jan 5, 2009 IP
    Shadab likes this.
  20. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've used ipb 1.3, ipb2.0.0 (trial version (as it was originally called) phpbb, smf, proboards & mybb. I've stuck with mybb and I've actually found it quite easy to modify it adding & removing little things here & there. And with a nice plugin & I've gotten several #1 ranks for a few threads. The admincp is nice & easy to browse plus it is easy to remove unwanted plugins. If you want to go through a sea of topics to find an answer to a support question however go with smf, because over at the mybb community, having less threads actually helps people find what they're looking for more easily.

scylla, Jan 5, 2009 IP