1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did he steal my idea? Can I do anything?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by tarponkeith, Jan 4, 2009.

I have a website where you can register and play a certain game (let's say "chess") against other live players. The winner of the game gets points. Once you have enough points, you can "cash out" for real money via paypal.

Another website popped up with the same concept, using the same game. Their graphics are a little better, and the site seems more professional, but I've been around for a little over 2 years...

Did he do anything wrong? I don't have a trademark or copyright or anything, but it was my idea...

Just looking for info. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just seeking information...

THANKS!

* the real game isn't chess, but if I post the real game, you'd be able to find me and the other website via google, and I don't want that until I know if he did anything wrong or not...

tarponkeith, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  2. Ghefly

Ghefly Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt've thought so..
    did you patent the idea or do something similar?

Ghefly, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  3. Jerrod01

Jerrod01 Peon

Best Answers:
    hes not in the wrong unless you have a trademark or something

Jerrod01, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  4. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you checked to see if any source code has been taken?

Seqqa, Jan 4, 2009 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  5. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses...

Yeah, the source code is all unique. It's just the concept that is a mirror image of mine...

6. I-G4L

I-G4L Peon

Best Answers:
    I just wanted to point out that I've seen dozens of these play - get points - cash out sites.

If he didn't steal it from you, he could have easily come up with the idea on his own or stolen it from someone else.

As you have no evidence that he did steal it, you can unfortunately do nothing.

Maybe you try making your site better ? Then you don't have to worry about the new site stealing your ideas again :)

I-G4L, Jan 4, 2009 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  7. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good point; I have no evidence that it's my concept, just had a hunch...

You're right though, just try to make my site better and work on getting more traffic...

I haven't seen a bunch of these sites though; I think what makes mine different is the one game that the site focuses on...

8. JackNames

JackNames Peon

Best Answers:
    The first time I ever started playing poker was on a site where you'd play, accumulate points, and cashout for real money... it was called 2am Games and it was back in the late nineties. The person who is running the site stealing your idea probably came up with it on their own independently of you or your site...

But even if you found out that the site in question was owned and operated by an ex-girlfriend who then emails you something clear as day like "I hope it makes you mad that I stole your idea", there is really very little you can do about it. The only way that you could do something is if your idea was so novel and groundbreaking that it could be patented... if this is the case, you'd only have two years or so (depends on where you live) from when you go public with it to file for a patent. It takes a lot of money to do, and you might not be successful patenting the idea. Then even if you can patent it, it takes even more money to try and enforce. But if you're so inclined, this might be an option to look into.

Something I learned a long time ago is that an idea and a dollar won't get you a coffee. The sad fact is that an idea undeveloped isn't worth anything...

What's the site all about anyway? I don't see much harm in posting what it is.

JackNames, Jan 4, 2009 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  9. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    you cant do anything with out a lawyer for this case you have nothing but in the future when starting something go to legalzoom.com they can get a copyright for you

ErikJ, Jan 6, 2009 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  10. ipwatchdog

ipwatchdog Peon

Best Answers:
    If you do not have a patent, copyright or trademark then there is nothing you can do. Ideas are not protected just because someone came up with them first. You need to take steps to secure intellectual property rights.

You might be interested in taking a look at:

Can Ideas be Protected?
    http://www.ipwatchdog.com/inventing/patent-ideas/

Moving from Idea to Patent
    http://www.ipwatchdog.com/inventing/idea-patent/

Applying for a Trademark
    http://www.ipwatchdog.com/trademark/trademark-application/

Applying for a Copyright
    http://www.ipwatchdog.com/copyright/copyright-application/

-Gene

ipwatchdog, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  11. movidalatina