1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Froogle now accepting Ebay

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by cobaltlady, Jun 10, 2004.

Froogle is now accepting Ebay Store feeds. Froogle has also pulled some of the Ebay store data and placed it in with the items that are feeds. Which means Ebay store items will be in the upper tier. So is this good or bad :confused: I think it is good. I don't have a Ebay store but think the increase in product is good. It gives the searchers more choices plus it may incourage Froogle to push its new toy a little harder. :eek:

cobaltlady, Jun 10, 2004 IP
    digitalpoint and NewTier like this.
  2. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't this going to throw off the low-price sorting? Won't the current bid price give froogle the wrong price as the end-price will be different?

Help Desk, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  3. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Ebay store items are fixed price. Froogle does not accept auction items. For example you will see items from Ioffer in the upper tier. Those are also all fixed price items. Yahoo store items are fixed price also.

4. respree

respree Peon

Best Answers:
    To a certain extent, I think its bad. If a merchant has both a website (and has submitted a feed directly to Froogle) and Ebay store, duplicate listings will occur (thus littering the Froogle SERPs).

respree, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Would that be any different than if a single merchant had two different stores with the same product though?

digitalpoint, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  6. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    I really think Froogle needs more product. That is the one thing I notice when I look at Froogle. The search results are very thin. More product equals more buyers to a certain point.

7. respree

respree Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I would call that litter as well, Shawn. ;)

I'm no SEO expert, but doesn't Google have ways of tracking and penalizing duplicate content? I would imagine it would be easy for Froogle to do the same for this type of activity, where one merchant is 'trying' to get two listings. I could be wrong, but it seems logical.

respree, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  8. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    It wouldn't necessarily be trackable. If you ran a site that sold office supplies on both officesupplies.com and supplies4office.com you could easily get two...

schlottke, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  9. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know people that have 2 sites in froogle. But, most eBay sellers don't sell items at the higher margins that a stand alone commerce site would. I like to say that once a product has made it to ebay it has become a commodity. Eventually, the price will be beat down by competing ebay sellers until there is no margin left. If those people are going to be competing directly in the SERP's, it is going to have a pretty big impact. IMHO

chachi, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  10. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I see where you are coming from, it may effect the people selling through froogle in some cases.

schlottke, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  11. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I think it will affect more than just people selling through froogle. In some cases the froogle results make it into the google SERPs. It seems like it happens when there are 2 or more Froogle merchants that are selling the same product. But, that is not 100% of the time either. Anyone know when the Froogle results make it into the regular Google SERPs

chachi, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  12. respree

respree Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using Froogle since their BETA first came out about a year and a half ago. In my experience, Froogle does not feed Google. The opposite is true, however. If you have a Google product listing, it is likely it's in the Froogle index.

respree, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  13. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the clarification.

Help Desk, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  14. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I think it's fair for Froogle to allow Ebay stores fixed price items. After all, Froogle (frugal - costing little; inexpensive) is a search engine for shoppers looking for a deal, not necessarily merchants who want to sell their items for top dollar. I have an Ebay store, but my fixed price items are more expensive in the Ebay store then they are on my website (Ebay charges fees, my website doesn't).

ViciousSummer, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  15. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    It might a good idea to be able to filter on new or used items.

Help Desk, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  16. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I see what your saying...Although, I doubt that people unloading used items on Ebay would even bothering with a Froogle feed. The majority of people that have an Ebay store (it costs extra), are selling new items.

ViciousSummer, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  17. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Ummm, I have been supplying Froogle with feeds weekly for over a year for more than 5 commerce sites. I know that google displays froogle data for certain products at certain times. Unfortunately, I have never been able to figure out when and why. For instance a search on Google for "Trek 5200" will return results at the top of the SERPs with listings from Froogle merchants...not all, but some. These are from the merchants who provide a feed, not the crawled results. Doing a search for "Lemond Nevada" you will not see any Froogle results at the top of the page, but clicking the Froogle link will show you that there is one Froogle merchant supplying a feed for that product. Searching for "pearl izumi jersey" does not display any froogle data at the top of the SERPs, but there are plenty of merchants in Froogle that carry them.

I have no idea what they are doing. :)

chachi, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  18. onlineshopping

onlineshopping Banned

Best Answers:
    i was doing business with ebay earlier but it was worst thing to do business with them.
    I am having the same website which is now competitor of ebay.
    well i had never heard about this because i was not in the seo field in 2004 so, i am just checking the past and what could be helpful for my website, i would really like to go with the conventional seo.
    well. still i did not understand the topic clearly, i need to do reasearch on the same.

onlineshopping, Jun 8, 2008 IP