1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New SPAM sites...billions of results!!!!

Discussion in 'Google' started by Nintendo, Jun 17, 2006.

1. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hoff, are you upset about this characterization of the blog?

I just saw this on Digg too.

lorien1973, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah, I brought it on myself with the title in the header. It was meant to be a joke on the SEO acronym... since most of what SEOs aim to do is obfuscate the search engines, not optimize them. I guess the person didn't read the other posts since there is nothing else about search engine trickery.

Here is the other Digg; it is dropping off the front page now though.

TheHoff, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  3. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Gotcha! I never even noticed the title there. obfuscation is far more appropriate (but damn hard to spell).

lorien1973, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  4. honcivex

honcivex Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder how much money this guy paid for bandwidth. Google-bot probably sucked up about 200TB from his sites.

honcivex, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  5. ludwig

ludwig Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think the traffic reached any TB, its just text and each of the so called pages might have been not more than some bytes or some KB.

ludwig, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    so that means billions of kbs... still quite a lot...

fryman, Jun 20, 2006 IP
    mihaidamianov likes this.
  7. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    /sigh...

I wish you guys wouldn't post stuff like that where I can read it, ya know.

1 billion kb = about 1 TB. The sites were at least 3kb each. So if he did indeed have 5 billion results in Google (and it wasn't just a "bad push", then not anywhere near counting his other traffic (remember his Alexa rating for just one of his thousands of domains?) or other bots, then his Googlebot traffic alone would have been somewhere in the vicinity of 15TB.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    How much does that kind of bandwidth cost?

fryman, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  9. goScooby

goScooby Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't unmetered servers only cost around $400-$500 per month? If he really had as many pages indexed as it seems that he did he was probably making more than that per day.

goScooby, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  10. popoman

popoman Peon

Best Answers:
    For what keywords/phrases did these subdomains appear at all? I missed these spam sites, they aren't in google nomore fortunately, did they have a pr at all? How da hell did they rank at visible positions at all?

popoman, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  11. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They're nowhere near gone. Click here. Go down about a third of the way till you see the title "Blackjack pizza denver", the sites start about there and dominate most of the rest of the page. Not sure what he's still ranking well for, that was just an easy way to find him. That might even be another person using an identical tactic. Gives you an idea of what it was though.

I'll save the source in case G finally gets on the ball about this, although I expect it'll take weeks if not months to beat this.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  12. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is time to put this behind us

IamNed, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  13. popoman

popoman Peon

Best Answers:
    Ultimately I'd say this, regardless of any Internet or computer issues at all, If I'd get to that dude who did this, I'd show him what hard-earned money is all about, earned with hard work whether online or in a standard job, and not made in 2 weeks literally flying under google's radar, while honest webmasters like ouselves try to get their hard work to pay off and get the acomplishment and satisfaction feelings... This dude isn't genius for doing what he did, he is weak, he rocked for a while, but since this won't last forever, when things will get hard for him in the future he will ironically turn to some of the great SEO dudes right from this forum, or will work on a gas station somewhere near bambaloo...

Let's move on, shall we?

Edit:

I think it is time to put this behind us

Exactley Forumer.

popoman, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  14. honcivex

honcivex Peon

Best Answers:
    I think all his sites was hosted on theplanet.com there most expensive hosting package comes with 10,000 gb of bandwidth which cost $6999 a month.

honcivex, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  15. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    Put what behind us?

The "chink in the armour" that was exploited is still there. Nothing has been corrected algorithmically that will prevent this kind of thing from happening again from what I've seen. I do believe the "loophole" that allowed the 404 blog pages to be "claimed" has been closed, but that's all I'm aware of.

Near as I can tell, the door is still open for this same type of thing again.

Dave

CrankyDave, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  16. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    WOW...if you're an SE gamer, this is true mastery. I DON'T agree with those that are of the opinion that this is a scumbag spammer. As soon as I saw Jagger updates, BigDaddy and Matts very proud attitude I knew it would simply lead to a new breed of webmastering. Now we're seeing it first handed, thanks Nintendo.

From my perspective this is genius...nothing short of it. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Matt.

Since Jagger updates many of us have studied the algo. Many of us have taken action based on the knowledge we gained. Here's a great example of someone tearing BD to pieces, I personally find it entertaining and give it thumbs up. C'mon yu gotta like it. Especially if you look at Matts blog and his comments when they were hyping BigDaddy...very brave statements in terms of unbreakable. Many would see that as a challenge, obviously.

These (G) engineers are good, but not that good. Why I like what I'm seeing is because Google (I feel) has stepped on alot of innocent feet whilst trying to sort out their mess...starting from Jagger updates. I have never seen them stable since. Many serps net clever spammy sites.

So what has Google actually accomplished here? They were a mess then (Jagger) and their even worst now, IMO.

H

Homer, Jun 20, 2006 IP
    hulkster likes this.
  17. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    10,000 gb is nothing, he would of used it in a few hours

fryman, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  18. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    I don't think he's gone through and approved us yet. I got a reply to an E-mail I sent the admin...

I even confessed to being the dude who who exposed the spammer and mentioned his members would love to tar and feather me!!! :D So he knew who I was!!!

Nintendo, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  19. goScooby

goScooby Peon

Best Answers:
    Put "this" behind us? Why? This is the best thread since Shoemoney Scrapergate! :)

goScooby, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  20. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    And this is one of the very few threads that has managed to grow to several pages without getting hijacked and turned into a totally different discussion

fryman, Jun 20, 2006 IP