1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

help! GREAT DOMAIN NAME! Now what?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Solicitors Mortgages, Jun 7, 2006.

I have some great domain names [well i think so] that i really like.
    They are pretty non descript names eg: google/yahoo/wanadoo
    and i have no idea what to do with them.

Are there any great free scripts out there so i can make an instant website?
    something like a free DIGG script would be great, or anything really. I don't want another directory or forum, so what's a good (simple thing) to set up?

anything i make will need promoting, as the name would have no meaning
    any thoughts on a good script/opportunity?

tia

James.

Solicitors Mortgages, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  2. dna_05

dna_05 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i would say jsut develop your website..
    it is the only way to have a succesful website, do you see any succesful websites (even with a great domain name) running a free script?

Actually i am running free and paid scripts on my website, but i have enough! i am finishing my first totally custom website, and i'm really proud!

dna_05, Jun 7, 2006 IP
  3. pelican

pelican Active Member

Best Answers:
    joomla is a free cms. it should start you off letting you to put up some articles and basic website functionality.

pelican, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  4. mike_01

mike_01 Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm... what are the domain names like.... post here or pm me as that would make the picture more clear....

mike_01, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  5. weebguy

weebguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes care to share your domains?

weebguy, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  6. Blair

Blair Member

Best Answers:
    Check out pligg.com

Blair, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  7. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    blog+wiki is a great way to start any site. I use WordPress and MediaWiki. You can then throw in a forum for good measure. phpBB is free and widly used.

Blog is sequential access (se friendly) and Wikis are random access (not so se friendly). You write article summaries in your blog and post the full article in the wiki and link to the wiki from the blog. This points all the search engines in the right direction and greatly improves ranking. Since the blog is updated Google likes it. MediaWiki does a good job of presenting the pages in a search engine friendly manner.

Everyone and their dog has a forum. I wouldn't bother with a forum until you've established a steady amount of visitors.

For large sites such as DMOZ mirrors or file repositories I use simple custom scripts and those sites get tons of hits because they're indexed for so many things. I run a wikipedia mirror as well.

And no matter what you do with it you need to have worthwhile content. Or a rediclous amount of content that search engines can't help but index for a bazillion search terms.

KalvinB, Jun 20, 2006 IP