1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Determining whether a site is "dofollow" or "nofollow"

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Mrs. Sinner, Jan 1, 2009.

Hi!

Sorry if this topic has already been covered, but I've been browsing for a while now and haven't found an answer (Found tons of other very useful info. Great forum guys!)

My question is; How can you determine whether a site is "dofollow" or "nofollow?"

I've noticed there are some good lists out there about dofollow sites, but couldn't help but wonder how they know which are which. I would like to be able to check out some other sites related to my industry and determine whether or not they're "dofollow" on my own.

Many thanks!

Mrs. Sinner, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  2. Schism

Schism Active Member

Best Answers:
    Get SEO for Firefox, and it will mark in red what links are NOFOLLOW

Also, you can just view the source code, hit ctrl+f and type nofollow to see if it has the tags :)

Schism, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  3. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The long way is to click View - Show Page Source on your browser, which will show the code for the page you want to check.

Click Control F, and type NoFollow. If any show up...the blog will have nofollow links..so you might as well move along.

christian231, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  4. webguy444

webguy444 Banned

Best Answers:
    Typhoon has this link on one of his threads: http://www.smartbloggerz.com/2008/08/100-do-follow-forums-to-increase.html

I am checking them all out...any help along the area of forums and posting would be great.
    if I include the link in my signature, should I keyword it? Will I get the linkjuice from every post i am on that way?
    How powerful will it be, if the sites front page is pg6, and I am pulling another forum topic?
    I have rankquest toolbar (is their a better one?) for Firefox, it ranks the home page and nothing else inside...why?

webguy444, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  5. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    you can check the source code to see if its no follow, some sites have the no follow in the meta tags so the links themselves look like do follow

zurpit.com, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  6. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    The easiest way is to get the seo quake plugin for firefox when you have this plugin
    whenever you view a no-follow link you will see a line through it to let you know it's
    no-follow.

kingofsanda, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  7. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't want to use plugins but using FireFox;

~ Visit Page
    ~ Control + U
    ~ Control + F
    ~ Type "nofollow"
    ~ If search doesn't find anything, it's do-follow :)

M3rC, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  8. long island insurance

long island insurance Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I have this plugin but I had no idea you could do that with it.

long island insurance, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  9. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest, most people are forgetting that links without the nofollow attribute can still be no follow via using Javascript, Meta Tags, indirectly robots.txt and so on

bacanze, Jan 1, 2009 IP
    kensmonies likes this.
  10. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just right click on the SEO quake icon on firefox status bar and click on 'Line-through "nofollow" and "noindex"'

@zurpit: meta 'robots' nofollow is NOT same as anchor rel=nofollow attribute. Google infact follows a nofollow link.

jitendraag, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  11. kensmonies

kensmonies Peon

Best Answers:
    Losts of good answers but I think bacanze said it best.

kensmonies, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  12. kensmonies

kensmonies Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone know if this forum is follow or nofollow? I would really like to know.

Ken

kensmonies, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  13. jitendraag

Best Answers:
    I don't agree with bacanze :) Javascript links would have the same effect as nofollow (agreed) but that's not true about meta robot tags or robots.txt. You are confusing between the two different nofollow here..

14. jitendraag

Best Answers:
    signature in this forum are dofollow, links in posts are dofollow too.

15. Mrs. Sinner

Mrs. Sinner Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much guys. Very useful tips from everyone. I figured it must have something to do with the sourcecode, but didn't really think sitting there trying to read it all to find "nofollow" would be the most efficient way to go about it. Thanks for the "Ctrl+F" tip. Working nicely.

I'll compile a list of dofollows that I come across and share them here, though I don't know how many of them will be useful to others here because most of them will likely be gambling and poker related. As I understand, most people don't want be linked with those types of sites due to issues with PPC.

Also, thank you for the tip on "SEO Quake." Had never heard of it before, and am on my way to google next to check it out.

(I've got SEO for Firefox, but I'm not sure how to use it to make "nofollows" appear red. I'll fool around with it some more) Nix that. Highlighted in bright red, right in front of my face!:eek:

Thank you, thank you, thank you all! You're the greatest!

Mrs. Sinner, Jan 1, 2009 IP