1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Writing an ebook would welcome suggestions

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by EspressoChick, Dec 17, 2008.

Hello :)

I'm writing an ebook. I've never done this before and I'd welcome any suggestions from those who have written ebooks. Any "do's" or "don't's" to keep in mind?

My book is a resource book. I don't want to give too much detail away because I haven't seen an ebook on this specific niche so I think there is potential for it.

Is there any ideal length for an ebook? How do you best determine price?

I'm still working on research but I have like 1,000,000,000 questions! lol Thanks for your time!

:) Abby

EspressoChick, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  2. michael_nguyen

michael_nguyen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Theres not really a dos and dont, just write it how you would normally write an essay, as long its has a logical structure. It really is that simple ! Download openoffice to convert it to pdf after

michael_nguyen, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  3. Loren Woirhaye

Loren Woirhaye Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, if you want people to buy it try to give them their
    money's worth. if you want to give it away to get leads
    at least try to make it worth people's time to read it.

I don't usually create reports/ebooks in a linear way. I just
    start writing and add more information in subsequent
    rewrites and sometimes even combine 2 or 3 smaller
    projects into a bigger report.

I'm not sure I would recommend my approach though.

The sensible and indeed professional approach is to write
    a detailed outline so the information comes out in
    an orderly and easy-to-follow manner. If you do the
    outline with enough detail you may find the actual
    writing to be fast and nearly effortless.

Loren Woirhaye, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  4. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Both length and price depend on the niche and the depth of the ebook you're writing. Your reputation for being an authority on the subject can also influence price.

I recommend reading Jenn's (jhmattern's) 14-Day Ebook Challenge posts. She pretty much covers the ebook writing process from start to finish. If you one of her email subscribers at All Freelance Writing you can downloan a PDF of all the posts in that series.

There have also been several discussions here about writing ebooks, setting price, and things like that. The Search function should help you find some of them.

latoya, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  5. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just a quick note, try and engage with the audience. Ebooks are usually pretty long, and the reader is probably going to get bored before the end (no offence as I'm sure you're a great writer, happens to all ebooks) and stop reading, so try to put in a few little bits where it is clear you're actually talking and engaging with the reader, rather than just shouting facts at them.

:)

kiteguy123, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  6. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts Member

Best Answers:
    This is great! What about Joe Vitale ebook he wrote?

MisterEThoughts, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  7. TheArticlePress

TheArticlePress Peon

Best Answers:
    Write as much as you can without rambling or going off-topic. If you keep it short and to the point, it doesn't matter if the book is 10 pages or 100, as long as you are providing value for your price point.

TheArticlePress, Jan 1, 2009 IP
  8. article marketer

article marketer Peon

Best Answers:
    If you intend to use this Ebook to get people to buy another product - your first one will need to be good enough - and interesting enough for them to want more of your writing. In fact, you may want to offer a free chapter and see how people respond. This might help you with the direction, too, if they have some ideas.

Another thing that I suggest is that you determine what is it that will make your Ebook different - that is your unique selling point. Making an outline will help, and then write each chapter as a long article.

article marketer, Jan 5, 2009 IP