1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Car Insurance Laws

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ncz_nate, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Poweremploy

Poweremploy Peon

Best Answers:
    . Its hard when you can't afford insurance all the time, especially when your in college, or just getting out on your own. So, what do you do.

Gotta drive to work- got to work to eat- gotta eat to live.

BUT

Some people have to ask themselves- do I pay my electric bill this month or car insurance. (that should be a no brainer guys)

Pay your electric bill. You do what you got to do and take the risk of being uninsured.

Poweremploy, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  2. Poweremploy

Poweremploy Peon

Best Answers:
    For the majority of people, thats life

Poweremploy, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It's even harder when some arsehole without insurance devastates your world. Take the bus.

Mia, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  4. Realm

Realm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    like the nude communities :D

Realm, Dec 29, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  5. Realm

Realm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in less populated areas, buses don't come around often (the wait is like 45 mins where I live)

Realm, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  6. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The car economy is killing America. Ross Perot campaigned on this in '92 and lost.

Isn't insurance less in less populated areas?

People need to be held accountable.

I'm not sure about the laws in Florida but in most states there are ordinances on keeping unregistered cars on residenial property.

bogart, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Bi-Peds have feet... Try walking. It's great for your circulatory system. Or get a bike.

He was a loon.

That they do!

Mia, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  8. Realm

Realm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so you expect me to walk on the highway to get to the mall? because that is the shortest way and it is like 10 min ride...but if i take the long way using a car it will take longer so if I walk then I am looking for a 1 hour walk

Realm, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  9. Realm

Realm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they increased it. and i live in an area that has over 100.000 people its not a major city as philly

Realm, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  10. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    Believe me, I'm one of the biggest supporters of small government. Your sarcasm is noted. But please, show me where it says in our constitution that you have the right to drive a car? The supreme court has made several rulings stating driving is a privilege. Otherwise, you wouldn't need a license.

hostlonestar, Dec 30, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No, I would expect you to pay for auto-insurance if you are going to drive one on that highway.

Mia, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  12. Jeccles

Jeccles Peon

Best Answers:
    For that matter, how will you pay the money? Because any court WILL find you liable for the bills after the other person's insurance sues you. Insurance protects you too.

Jeccles, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  13. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Government cures all ills and government only.

ncz_nate, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  14. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see this in suburban areas. It's really hard to move around by foot even if it is 5/10 minutes walk. The sidewalks are neglected and may places no crosswalks have been built.

bogart, Dec 31, 2008 IP
  15. Poweremploy

Poweremploy Peon

Best Answers:

You must live in a bubble world where every has the money for car insurance, everyone lives near a bus line, and everyone's job is a block away.

A lot of places, like in the suburbs, where I used to live don't have bus lines, and if you live in a different suburb than where u work then you can't possibly walk.

However, just like everyone can't afford health insurance- not everyone can afford car insurance all the time. I do think that you should be insured though.

But, I understand those that aren't.

Poweremploy, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  16. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If the suburbs don't work for you, move to the city.

The suburbs are a luxury that many people can no longer afford. Road maintaince is approx $120 billion in the red. People can't afford their car payments and car insurance.

bogart, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  17. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    Sad thing is the driveway slopes slightly down. If the truck rolled, it would hit the house at about two miles an hour. Unfortunately, the car insurance wouldn't cover that!

They also wouldn't cover damage if a tree fell on the truck. I figured if it was just sitting in the driveway, this was the most likely cause of damage and the only practical reason I'd want the insurance.

I wanted to take the vehicle off the road for a few months or a year and the government intervened to make sure I paid a few hundred dollars anyway - either through insurance so I could use the vehicle, or through civic and licensing fees. That's not exactly right, but I'm getting used to this kind of nonsense.

korr, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Yes they would. Happened to me last year. Neighbors truck rolled into mine from his driveway to my car parked on the street. The nature of the impact or the speed has no bearing on what the insurance will cover. And believe me, the 2mph impact will do enough damage to overcome any deductible.

Home owners won't cover it, but your comprehensive on your auto will. I had a structure from my house come off in a wind storm, and while the home owners insurance would not cover it, the auto policy did.

What's not right is NOT having insurance.

Its not that expensive. BTW, I found that I could say $1600/year on our auto policies by simply combining my auto insurance with my home owners. If you own a home ,use the same company that you use for home owners for your auto. You'll save $400-$2000 per year depending on the coverages.

FYI, I have 2 collector cars, 2 daily drivers and a motorcycle. My insurance is around under $1000/year full coverage on everything with the highest coverages.

Do your research. So long as you have a good driving record, no DUI's and take safety courses, you'll find insurance is not that expensive.

Mia, Jan 3, 2009 IP
  19. PioneerGold

PioneerGold Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another paid shill of the insurance lobby.

I have had insurance my whole life and been in a number of collisions. Not once has the insurance company ever paid a single dime for anything. They always have some excuse.

Add to that, then they turn around and use it to justify raising my rates.

In other words, the insurance industry is taking care of YOU and that's all that should matter to anyone else. I get it.

The insurance lobby is like the banking and the investment lobby. They take care of a few people, who turn around and try to convince everyone who will listen how great and necessary they are. The rest are left to suffer.

It is a ponzi-scheme, when you think about it.

Add to that, you have a government, under the guise of public safety (it's always about safety - crime, drugs, terrorism, etc.) passing a law taking your rights away and giving it to a private, for-profit company for the "privilege" of using your own property.

If the government were so worried about safety, why not just have a public, non-profit fund set where everyone contributes based on ability to pay.

It has worked great when applied to health care (of course the insurance lobby fights it tooth-and-nail because it freezes them out of the picture), so why not apply it to cars since people are so worried about their "safety" on the roads.

This car insurance scam is just another way to rob the population for the benefit of the private insurers.

A few benefit while the majority suffers. That doesn't sound like democracy to me, but it does sound like the United States. :p

PioneerGold, Jan 3, 2009 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No, just a responsible adult buying piece of mind.
    There's likely a good reason why. I've never had an issue. You're obviously upset. It appears you bad experience and anger is guiding your logic. When that happens, there is NO reason.

Ah, if they paid out a claim, of course you rates are going to go up. Especially if it was your fault. You alread said you've had a lot of collisions. My guess is you are or have been in way too many accidents. Perhaps you should reconsider driving. You sound like you are an unsafe driver.

BTW, most insurance companies have programs for good drivers, and many no offer a no rate increase guarantee or accident forgiveness. Who on earth are you using for an insurance carrier?

No, I'm taking care of my responsibilities as an adult and paying for piece of mind. Piece of mind not only for me, but for those that ride with me, and other drivers on the road.

Oh cry me a river. Just because you are a terrible driver and get in a lot of accidents is no reason to try to imply that the entire system is corrupt. Car insurance is not that expensive for good, responsible drivers.

Its is? You don't know who Charles Ponzi was do you? If you did, you'd know what a Ponzi scheme is, and Auto Insurance and stamp vouchers have nothing to do with one another.

Insurance is a business designed to make money. If it did not, it would not be able to pay out claims to begin with.

Requiring someone to protect those that they might hurt and not be able to compensate is not taking someones rights away. You drive uninsured and kill someone, or injure someone, its you that are taking rights away.

Its not about safety. Its about being able to pay for damages and injuries for people you may harm, including yourself. Its commons sense.

Oh, now I see where you are going. Nationalized Auto Care. No, the health care industry has not worked when that has been applied. Just look at the systems in Europe and Canada that are failing or have failed.

Pay for car insurance, or just don't drive.

Are you that bad of a driver?

What are you talking about? Insurance is not there for us to benefit from. Its there to pay when you cannot. Its there to protect what you cannot. Its there to provide for what you may not be able to.

Your arguments here are very weak. Blame, government, blame lobbyist, blame those of us that pay for you when you screw up. Try taking some responsibility for your own actions for a change.

Mia, Jan 3, 2009 IP