1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HTML emails - embed images or not?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Kerosene, Dec 28, 2008.

Is it a good idea to embed the required images for an HTML email?
    I've noticed that Thunderbird disables remote images by default, and the user needs to click a button to load the images.

With the images attached, my HTML email is a whopping 66k.

Are there any downsides to attaching the images instead of letting them load from my site?

-------------
    ALSO
    Here's another HTML email question of mine that is currently unanswered:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=10173406

***plz say it 2 me so i can also b learn it***

Kerosene, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally prefer to receive an email complete - i.e. with all needed pics included
    hence I have the option activated to always automatically load images when sender in my address book ( I use evolution email client ).
    I always embed all pics when I send emails directly from my local machine
    and I always have them embedded in my ecards - it seems without any problems so far. but the ecards SW has the online user option to send the other way as well. people choose

when I send newsletters - then I link to pics rather than embed.
    people can change options and never should depend on default options.
    if you embed and send to regular recipients - newsletters for example - you may send them ONCE instructions to change their settings in case they experience problems.

there are however a very few free email providers ( may be AOL and in europe gmx ) that strictly remove all HTML and forward only pure text into the recipient mailboxes ...

for such cases you may always add a LINK to download / view an online stored full version of an email - stored as regular full HTMNL page

hans, Dec 28, 2008 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Thanks hans, some good points there.

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks :)

Kerosene, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  4. LindseyInteractive

LindseyInteractive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    Yes when it comes to sending images in a email for newletters, email marketing or whatever. I personally like to embed the images into the email it self. You have to make sure your email services allows html versions of emails first.

Also, next thing is, it really depends on what your using these for. I mean if they are personal emails that you are sending to friends, family, collegues, then it would be okay to use links to keep the size down, because they know you, they know these won't contain viruses and will take the time to actuallly click on the link to see the image.

But, on the other hand if you are using them for email marketing or type of marketing, then you really need to embed the photos, because 75% of your goal is to capture your new readers attention and get them to your site, product, or what ever service you are marketing, and most people won't just click on a link for a image without knowing the person or seeing what they are trying to buy.

This is just my thought, i hope it helps some.

LindseyInteractive, Dec 28, 2008 IP