1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ - a test of ethics

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by accountability, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    There are countless benefits coming out of being an editor. I am not saying they are all undeserved considering the work, but the "work for free" answer is a complete lie. You can become successful on the side simply by being an editor for the ODP and a lot of them don't have anything else going for themselves but that status they are cashing in on.

Did I mention how those fools make me tired :confused:

Blogmaster, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am having all my submissions to a certain group blocked, as the editor is a competitor in the business. What can I do about it? Forget it and move on. The fact is that I am turning away mountains of work, and this guy 'couuld' have been getting some of it. His short sightedness is costing him money.

The sad bit is though that he submits sites to Skaffe where I edit, and I treat him like any other person (even moving sites to the correct cat and altering information, when by the rules (but not the spirit) I could simply reject it). I guess some people can detatch while others feel the need to wield their power to lift themselves up.

Old Welsh Guy, Feb 16, 2005 IP
    Lever likes this.
  3. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    DMOZ as it's operating now, is polluting search results by giving unfair advantages to web sites based on criterias other than quality.

Blogmaster, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  4. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    PM me the URL's you are having problems with Welsh Guy and lets see if you are truly being blocked.

whateverusay, Feb 16, 2005 IP
    ResaleBroker likes this.
  5. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Multiple listings, spam by a certain editor, removal of my keywords from title and description. Dmoz left it like this for several years and never responded. Someone in this forum took action, informed dmoz and got rid of the corrupt editor.. the internet is becoming like the real world..its not what you know..its who.

Design Agent, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Note the implication that OWG is either lying or mistaken. These guys just can't NOT respond in this way -- it must be that world-renowned DMOZ customer service training.

Oh, wait -- I forgot -- they're "just volunteers" so it's perfectly all right to be snotty.

minstrel, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  8. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    No there is no implication that he is lying so lets not read into what I said too much. I ain't even an editor so BACK OFF. Save your editor bashing for editors.

If he want to know if he is blocked then let me have the URL(s) and I will check. Simple as that - nothing else. Do all forum contributors face this sort of backlash?

9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    If you're not an editor, what can you do that he himself or anyone else can't do in terms of checking?

As for reading into what you said, OWG said the sites are being blocked: What exactly does "PM me the URL's you are having problems with Welsh Guy and let's see if you are truly being blocked." mean, if not that you don't believe/trust what he says?

10. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    What the hell has it got to do with you what I can and can't do and even who I am?No I am no an editor but yes I have information available to me that you don't. What that is is not any of your business especially as I was not directing my offer at you.

As for being 'blocked' ODP can only block as a result or spamming submissions (block by IP address or email address etc etc). Having a red or yellow note or other form of editor note does not mean it is 'blocked'. There is a big difference and one I was going to help clear up by establishing what block is in place. ODP's blocking tools are not as good as they would have anyone think.

I wish I had not bothered to offer.

11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Crusty, aren't you? And you still haven't answered the question.

12. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    Was answered with
    Answered with
    Crusty???? Perhaps just extremely shocked at how you seem to be gunning for me for no apparent reason.

13. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    This is getting out of control guys...

DMOZ is fucked...

Leave it at that :)

SEbasic, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm not gunning for you -- I simply responded to your post where you implied that OWG was lying or mistaken and that somehow you're the only one who knows what's going on and then you went up in flames.

If you aren't a DMOZ editor, you should apply to be one. You'd fit right in.

yfs1 likes this.
  15. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks but I don;t think that they would appreciate me giving out inside information about what sites do/dont have red notes and ither stuff they would rather not let you know.

16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Now that's very interesting. DMOZ is now selling editor logins?

Who gets to buy these?

But isn't that precisely what you offered to do above?

17. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    That is exactly what I offered to do.... something that the ODP would not appreciate me doing.... hence why they would not like me actually applying! If anyone want to know what ODP knows about a site then I will be only to pleased to share it.

18. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Something ugly happened today:

I was on ihelpyouservices and participated in that thread which is being moderated by 2 DMOZ editors. I was being called a spammer and overreacted. I was also accused of being VegasMack and LasVegasHomes all in one.

I called the editors a name after being called a name and immediately they called Doug and he threatened to ban me if I do not edit my post.

My response was: Go ban me, your forum is old and has only 5 members on at a time 4 of which are dmoz editors.

he erased that response and banned me.

I deeply regret going down to that level. And Doug, if you read this, I am very sorry about my conduct.

However, Doug is also very judgmental in some ways while overlooking other things. When you allow someone to moderate your forum, you better make sure they have the right state of mind and personality. Connie is a cool moderator there but of course got inflamed by the editors. See her nice response followed by an ugly one?

So what I am saying is, don't stoop to their level.

ihelpyouservices is not a loss to me. They are talking about DMOZ should change but the reality is that their fear of losing power supercedes their desire to do the right thing.

I am in touch with some of the head editors right now. They do not like what is going on. They need all of our help. You guys can email me or

The ones that you see are the small fish who have not much else going for themselves. Shawn is a dmoz editor and trust me ... you won't see him stoop down to that level, plus he has too much going on.

Once again, I regret having had everything come to this but I will rather be banned than censored while others are allowed to call me name.

Those are Nazi tactics which I cannot endorse or surrender to.

Ministrel and whateveryousay ... please make up guys :)

Take it up to the higher level and support those in the right state of mind.

DMOZ needs our help.

Thank you Shawn for this unbiased forum and everyone who supports freedom of speech and doing the right thing.

btw: the reason DMOZ editors were always mad at me is that over the past 5 years I have submitted my old site maybe 15 times without good content. I was not thinking. Is that unforgivable and giviing someone the right to call me a spammer?

I think not.

Anyways ... i love you guys ... take it up a level and do not worry about the small fish who are afraid of leaving the water.

peace,

Mike

20. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK. You admit that you are instigating.
    I agree.
    IMO, you didn't move far from where you started. You really shouldn't be surprised at the reactions you received.

There is a difference in engaging people with a level head and a constructive attitute versus a chip on the shoulder and fire in the eyes.
    Connie is a he.
    Sensible advice. Do you practice what you advise?
    I was treated not much differently from you right here in this forum when commenting on the rel=nofollow attribute vis-a-vis the coop network - and I was much more level headed, non-accusatory, non-judgemental and non-confrontational than you were on this issue!
    If this is in reference to your rant about IHY moderators not participating in other forums, you are wrong. ;)

Bernard, Feb 16, 2005 IP