1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Displaying HTML Code In A Wordpress Post <== PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by bigpapa, Dec 28, 2008.

I know what you're thinking... let me tell this guy about the dozens of plugins that are available to display HTML, PHP, etc. in your posts...

I have literally tried ALL of them. I don't want a fancy plugin with javascript and syntax highlighting and all that jazz. I just simply want to be able to display the code exactly as it's written.

I never use the crappy WYSIWYG editor with Wordpress, I always type all the code myself.

The best plugin I have come across is sem-code-fix. It's very short and lightweight. It works PERFECTLY... except...

When displaying HTML entities i.e.:

&nbsp;
    &copy;
    &reg;
    etc. etc. etc.

It will convert them to their HTML equivalent.

The source code of this plugin is short enough, so Ill post it here:

add_filter('the_content','sem_fix_code','1');

function sem_fix_code($content) {
    	return preg_replace_callback('!<code([^>]*)>(?:\r\n|\n|\r|)(.*?)(?:\r\n|\n|\r|)</code>!ims', 'sem_fix_code_callback', $content);
    }

function sem_fix_code_callback($matches) {
    	$escapedContent = $matches[2];
    	$escapedContent = str_replace("<","&#60;",$escapedContent);
    	$result = $result."<div class='code_child'>";
    	$result = $result.$escapedContent."</div><br />";
    	return $result;
    }
    PHP:
    That's all there is to it! And it works like a charm. All I have to do is wrap my code in <code> </code> tags. The only thing that doesn't work is that it will not display HTML entities exactly as I type them.

I have tried adding the <pre> </pre> tags before and after the <code> tags to no avail.

I am REALLY pulling my hair out over this- something that seems so simple but ends up becoming so difficult!

The reason I posted the source code of the plugin Im using is because I would like to continue using the same plugin. I was hoping someone here would be able to find a way to tweak something in it in order to prevent HTML entities from being translated.

HELP PLEASE!

Any assistance would be GREATLY aprpeciated!

bigpapa, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  2. bigpapa

bigpapa Banned

Best Answers:
    I just noticed that when I made the above post, the PHP code that is displayed to you above did exactly what Im trying to prevent. It converted an HTML entity to a < character.

bigpapa, Dec 28, 2008 IP