1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

3 column design, right column not falling into place in FF

Discussion in 'CSS' started by mikey1090, Dec 27, 2008.

mikey1090, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple. You created this site using IE and then looked at Firefox and wondered why FF doesn't work the same. The problem, however, is IE as it always is.

You aren't using a doctype. Therefore you are in quirks mode and will never get IE to attempt to perform like a modern browser such as FF. So you coded to a bug. Add a proper strict doctype.

Second, you use XHTML end tags on some elements but are implying quirks mode html.

Third, you have 63 html errors. Validate your page for that list, fix the errors, and then come back. Use Firefox as your reference browser for how things should work. Check in IE to see if and when it screws things up. Google, or ask here, for the hacks to fix IE; there's hundreds of them but at least they are well known.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  3. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple solution:
    In your style.css, search for #rightcolumn. Change float:left; to float:right; and remove the line height:100%;

That should solve it.

Ulquiorra, Dec 28, 2008 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  4. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I actually designed it in FF first. But thanks for the tips. I always tend to validate my designs when everything is in place. I should probably do it before...

mikey1090, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  5. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, also just removing the height: 100%; will also fix it.

Thanks for the rep, happy new year :)

Ulquiorra, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  6. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Its fixed now with your earlier suggestion. I'll make it xhtml/css compliant when all other php work is taken care of :)

mikey1090, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah. When I'm doing math, as long as I get the right answer, I don't care that the formula is all wrong.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  8. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Which is why before I launch a site for the public I ensure the formula _IS_ right.

mikey1090, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    My point is, you wait till the end to fix your errors but are willing to work with errors to reach the end. This means you are relying on errors throughout.

As I stated above, once you realize you are counting on IE being in quirks mode to work across all browsers, you'll be back wondering why nothing works when you start adding/subtracting things.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  10. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Which is the polite way of saying throw it out and start over with VALID markup, since with 60 validation errors you do not have HTML, you have gibberish.

No doctype, most browsers assuming windows 1252 for encoding (meaning you probably have bad character space), no specified character space, presentational images in the markup, nothing resembling semantic markup, Hordes of unneccessary DIV and classes, etc, etc, etc.

What you have isn't even HTML 3.2, and in general as I've oft said about many pages there is more of 1997 to this markup than 2008.

... and that's before we even TALK about the accessability /FAIL/ of fixed metric fonts smaller than 12px.

deathshadow, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  11. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Please bare in mind I'm a self taught student. I've had no coaching and people like you will seriously improve my learning curve.

Your deservedly harsh way of nudging me in the right direction is paying off. I've validated the page in transitional xhtml.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.jungletravelguide.com/xml/

Now can we work on those other things you mentioned that I have virtually no knowledge or experience with? :)

mikey1090, Dec 29, 2008 IP