1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How is Zend Studio ?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by richu, Dec 27, 2008.

Hello,

I am trying to learn php - umm, but i am little confused on where to start, how to start etc. I have already gone through w3schools and all - yeah, i forgot to tell you that i am a computer professional and does lots of programming works daily - but i am new to php - i know little bit things about php - but that's not what i want- i wanna learn it fully.

Below are some of my questions :-

1- Have anyone of you tried Zend Studio ?
    2- What all are the system requirements of Zend Studio ?
    3- When i went to their website i saw a lot of products like Zend studio, with other products as well - some 3-4 products were there. So i am asking is zend studio enough or anything more needed along with zend studio for its proper functioning ?
    4- How about getting into the world of php programming by getting used to zend studion ? Its an IDE right ? So, i think trying to learn php using it would be best - okies, what you suggest about this ?
    5- How can i download it ? Whats the price ? Is it good to download it from warez ?

I hope i'll be getting good replies here.

Thanks

richu, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  2. Danltn

Danltn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Downloading from warez is illegal. It's not good and it's just cheapskatey.

Now back to your original questions. I personally own a copy of Zend Studio, although I would definitely recommend it for larger projects (especially if you like the Zend Framework) - I wouldn't bother with it for smaller scripts, (keeping in mind the overhead from the framework is fairly large.)

You can read about Zend Studio here: http://www.zend.com/en/products/studio/
    It's roughly $560 USD at the current exchange rate (€399) with 1 year support, or more if you need a longer term of support.

Danltn, Dec 27, 2008 IP
    richu likes this.
  3. richu

richu Peon

Best Answers:
    Umm, larger projects? i am trying to build websites like social networking sites etc ? - so for that i think zend is a better choice.

richu, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  4. Danltn

Danltn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I'd recommend it then, better than Notepad anyway. ;)

Danltn, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  5. richu

richu Peon

Best Answers:
    yup, that's what i also wanted to say - since its an IDE - learning things would be actually fun - and later on our interest in developing websites using php will surely be increased - i say this because this is the way i learned html - hihihi ... i know html is a very basic thing - but it was years ago - I learned html from an IDE - i don't remember what was that application s/w's name - anyway it was really fun learning things that way

richu, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  6. zerxer

zerxer Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend Zend Studio as well but I don't use the framework or anything.. the IDE studio seems to be good enough. That's the only product I have installed. I test all my stuff directly from a server online so I didn't need all their debugging products. I use it for small stuff too though because if you already have it, why not use it? Again, that's just the IDE I'm talking about. It's still useful for small stuff with the built-in FTP and whatnot.

And of course it's not "good" to download it from warez but not we can stop you. If you're asking if you'll get a virus from it, well I guess that depends on the source..

zerxer, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  7. richu

richu Peon

Best Answers:
    And what about the size of that IDE program ? And for how much can we buy it online ? Can you tell me what are the things that we can do using the IDE ? It's just to make sure whether i should be settling with just the IDE or with the IDE and the additional components ?

Thanks

richu, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  8. zerxer

zerxer Peon

Best Answers:
    The size? Like, the install size? http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5200/95258030wt3.png

I still have the old 5.5.1 version installed since for now, I prefer it over their new 6.1 "for Eclipse" whatever. Plus, I can't seem to find any way to export all my saved FTP stuff to import it into the new one..

The price online is I guess $400 for 1 year of upgrades/support. http://www.zend.com/en/store/software/studio/

I'm sure it can do a lot more than I use it for but I basically use it for working on various website jobs. I just add the FTP info into the Remote Servers list, open the remote folder, open the files, and code away. It's really great though since it has code assist and whatnot and not just for PHP's built-in functions but for ones defined in all your open files as well as code assist (auto-complete) for your variables.

I don't really know if you personally will need any of the additional components but I certainly don't need them.

zerxer, Dec 27, 2008 IP
    richu likes this.
  9. richu

richu Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, so the IDE itself is having the all the features that are required for start. That's great to for a start - and i think it's better to go with the additional components later as you have mentioned.

richu, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  10. zerxer

zerxer Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, all you should need to start is Zend Studio itself.

zerxer, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  11. phpwnes

phpwnes Peon

Best Answers:
    i heard the zend studio is the only legit php certificate someone can get too but its just good for as people here before said large projects.

phpwnes, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  12. richu

richu Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, me too have heard that Zend provides php certification - and that's one of the reasons why i am looking to get started into php programming through Zend IDE

richu, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  13. Danltn

Danltn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you check the Zend terms of sale wording for me, I might be able to sell you my license if that's deemed allowable by Zend.

The download lasts forever, and it has active support until August 2009.

PM me if you find that they are transferable (it will be fully removed from my system upon transfer.)

Danltn, Dec 27, 2008 IP