1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google and Typos

Discussion in 'Google' started by tarponkeith, Dec 26, 2008.

I'm cracking up right now. Just wanted to let you guys know that I misspelled a word in a blog post a few days ago, and now I'm getting a few hits here and there from google because of the word...

A new SEO tactic? Target the young and less-literate with misspelled keywords?

haha

tarponkeith, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  2. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not think this is a new tactic I read about this a few years ago many people
    who are searching for things in google will misspell certain keywords without
    realizing it and if your site is ranking well for these keywords you will get some
    visitors.

kingofsanda, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  3. valterchaves

valterchaves Peon

Best Answers:
    just go to google keywords and do a search for a word. you´ll see that many of the related queries are misspelled words. You can use that to get traffic

valterchaves, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  4. maxerg

maxerg Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! 4961 posts and you didn't hear about it before?

Why do you think there are threads in DP like 'You are thniks why pagerank updata when please?'

It's moderators SEOing the forum.;)

maxerg, Dec 26, 2008 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  5. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, this is one of the oldest tricks out there. Used to work VERY well, but I think now the search engine's will actually penalize your page if it has excessive misspellings.

cgo85, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  6. Ryan6

Ryan6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Have been reading up on keyword/keyphrase misspellings and I am sure as hell that if done well, it could be very lucrative.

Google's damn "Did you mean" algo kinda defeats the object of this as I am sure most people would then click on that tab? Or would they?

Is there a way that you can get around this? If not, is it better using very uncompetitive long tail keyphrases or perhaps jumbled keyphrases that might bring in the odd spurts of traffic?

It's just that there is soo much low paying, uncompetitive traffic up for grabs... that I do wonder if it can be sometimes worthwhile thinking outside the box to get a nice chunk of a particular niche via the methods noted above. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Ryan6, Jan 5, 2009 IP