1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How learn PHP

Discussion in 'PHP' started by nextgenseo, Dec 21, 2008.

Hay guys...i have been using internet for more than 8 years and know almost everything about internet marketing. I'm now desperate for learning PHP and need opinions from php/mysql gurus.

Do i need to know webdesign before learning php/mysql?
    What is the very first step in order to learn php/mysql?.
    Where should i start from?.

Please guide me.

nextgenseo, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  2. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1) no you dont need webdesign
    2) you need to learn the basics html at least
    3) w3c , then php.net for all info about functions ...

4) i have my own site where i answer php questions (Free php Tutorials) ... if you have questions dont be shy to ask ;)

Good Luck .

commandos, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  3. rene7705

rene7705 Peon

Best Answers:
    i'd say knowing a bit of webdesign will help you create apps that are pleasing to look at / can sell..

if you're going to work with databases, use adodb.sf.net. really, look no further for database abstraction.

then have a look at smarty.net to see if you like that. it helps seperate function from content and form.

then just start coding small sites that perform a few functions.
    like commandos said, put php.net in your bookmarks :) use the search function there to look for the (sections of) functions you'll need to do something. If it aint clear there's usually good tips in the comments section of each function description.

whenever programming, ask yourself 'how can i fit this into a worker module with clearly defined input/output definitions'.. that goes for functions, classes, module-files (*.inc.php), and whole subsections of applications.
    I sometimes have version numbers on a *.inc.php because the i/o definitions changed between those versions.

to learn how to code bigger more complicated apps, a good software methodologies book is this. but you need to be proficient in math / scientific-reading or else it goes over your head..

rene7705, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  4. ferryway

ferryway Peon

Best Answers:
    dont buy any book or pdf for that.. just read from online site.. and make sample application.. it will be best option to learn php..
    php.net is the best one.. i learned from phpguru.biz check it out its good one.. it has sample example for download...

ferryway, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  5. crivion

crivion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The best way is by practicing
    Choose a theme to do : for example a classifieds script, plan your needs and then start searching for tutorials specific to the needs

crivion, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  6. Lokki08

Lokki08 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are lot of ways to start PHP programming and there are also very great sources around the Internet, I will provide you one very good address to start learning it. Let's begin by answering to your questions :D.

You don't have to need to know much about webdesigning, however it would be good to at least know the basics of webdesign. This will give you a good foundation to understand what a client or you want from the website and this will lead you to understand that what kind of php code you have to write.

What is the very first step in order to learn php/mysql?

The first step is to just start learning it by exploring and writing codes that uses the basic commands, then the advanced commands.

Where should i start from?

Here is a website which lead you step-by-step with PHP programming. Read the instructions and also explore all the commands in the left side, w3schools.com is great source.

Lokki08, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  7. lifedesigner

lifedesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello.I advice you to learn the basics of programming(Turbo Pascal/C++),what a programming language is and then move to PHP ... the best way to learn PHP is with Lynda.com ... the video tutorials over there are the most detailed that i have ever seen.Good luck.

lifedesigner, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  8. paulwk

paulwk Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm learning PHP as well and have found lynda.com as the best so far. I own a book on PHP, but the video tutorials on Lynda are short, sweet and to the point.

paulwk, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  9. farad

farad Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on what you mean with "webdesign" ! I would say - you need to know a bit of HTML and CSS .. nothing more.

What is the very first step in order to learn php/mysql?
    The one and only thing I can suggest - search and read everything you can .. No matter, you need it or not .. It's all about training your brains ! For example .. timestamp - do you know how to convert 12452536 seconds into the correct format ( ex. 17:39 ) ? :rolleyes:

Where should i start from?
    http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/DEfaULT.asP

farad, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  10. laxj11

laxj11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hey, i started at w3schools to get the hang and syntax of it down. then just looked for tutorials and snippets to fit my needs. i eventually started going to php.net to figure out any problems i had and to look for satisfying functions. :) php is a great language. have fun..

laxj11, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  11. PwrUps

PwrUps Peon

Best Answers:
    PwrUps, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  12. majorlifestyle

majorlifestyle Guest

Best Answers:
    I will try to keep this simple. First, make sure you have server software running on your computer. I recommend xampp because it is simple to install and it is free.

Next, download a copy of notepad++ (also free) or any similar text editor. Next visit killerphp.com, open the video tutorials and program along with the instructor by typing the code into notepad++ . You will learn by doing and you will get immediate feedback. By the time you complete the tutorials you will understand the rudiments of programming in PHP. From there you can do further tutorials online or you can create your own example scripts to strengthen what you have learned. Good luck

majorlifestyle, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  13. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Check out "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page for previous posts on this same thing. More info is available there.

chopsticks, Dec 22, 2008 IP