1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS for large City Portal?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by mytechguru, Dec 22, 2008.

I am going to start a Big City portal and i am not sure which CMS to choose, there will be more than 1000 Article content. so i am not sure which CMS will suits best with me. I am thinking about Wordpress or Joomla Or Drupal . Do you think this will be the best choice? Please suggest any ?

mytechguru, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  2. NeoAkira

NeoAkira Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress can be tweaked to be a portal but i wouldn't recommend it. It is primarily a Blogging software, not even a CMS. Joomla is good and has a lot of extensions but has also some security issues. My favorite for any site with >1000 pages would be Drupal. It is faster than Joomla and more flexible in the long run. Learning curve is steeper but you can get fast results with the CCK and Views Modules. Drupal is also better for Community-building. It depends on what kind of functionality you need. Good Luck with your Project

NeoAkira, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  3. mytechguru

mytechguru Peon

Best Answers:
    Any Good ebook or Web Tutorials Site for learning Drupal ?

mytechguru, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  4. NeoAkira

NeoAkira Member

Best Answers:
    It is best to start on the Drupal website "drupal.org/handbook/". there a plenty of informations, tutorials and infos. You can also join the community there. Search also amazon and google for further infos.

NeoAkira, Dec 23, 2008 IP
  5. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal and Joomla will both work.

You need to take a look at the plugins you'll want to use. I really like Joomla but it has it's quirks, such as an annoying way to handle 404 errors. I use Wordpress for a small City portal. It's annoying to work with date stamped pages if you want your content to be static.

The reason I skipped Drupal is because it was in a major upgrade transition at the time I was looking at it.

internetmarketingiq, Dec 23, 2008 IP
  6. einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some good beginner stuff from Drupal can be found on the Drupal site in the handbook. I have also written a series of tutorials for beginners in Drupal on my coding blog, just check under the Drupal tag - http://codingpad.maryspad.com/category/drupal/

Another great place to learn Drupal if you're a visual learner is Youtube videos. Just search for Drupal tutorials and a whole bunch come up. This is one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q2aPi9ZEgs

You can also check blip.tv for Drupal tutorials.

Drupal is an awesome CMS and you can do some amazing stuff with it!

einsteinsboi, Dec 24, 2008 IP
  7. allodium

allodium Peon

Best Answers:
    I advise instead of one large and universal script to use many narrowly directed scripts, for example forum, chat, gallery...

allodium, Dec 24, 2008 IP
  8. Valkerie

Valkerie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla -

Use version 1.0X instead of 1.5X. With it's mature extensions, you can create pretty much any kind of website.

As long as you understand the terminology, it's easy to manage a large site.

Valkerie, Dec 25, 2008 IP