1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ultimate [GOOGLE] Newbie FAQ!

Discussion in 'Google' started by M3rC, Dec 18, 2008.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mods Please sticky this thread

malcolm1, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  2. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Malcolm, I'm trying to contact a mod too, but there's no-one to be seen around! :(

BTW - Next FAQ Update will be a in-detail reasons of why the Big G CAN penalize your site! Stay tuneed :)
    Also guys, I'm officially writing for INFoMM as an editor, so to view my other MMO, SEO, SERPs techniques, tips & tricks you can also visit us there :)

Thanking YOu
    M3rC

M3rC, Dec 20, 2008 IP
    farrhad likes this.
  3. skypeace

skypeace Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This rocks :)
    Rep added

I vote for sticky

skypeace, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  4. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    As a member of several SEO/Wed Development Forums, I've seen a lot of "Google Penalized" threads appearing all over the place. In fact there's a couple, if I've counted correctly that just rocked up on DP today. I want to dedicate this entire post to explain to you on what grounds Google will/can/should penalize your site.

Google Penalization
    Q:
    What is the "Google Penalty"?
    A:
    It's simple. When you try to cheat the system, or do something you’re not meant to Google will "punish" you and this will effect everything from the behavior of your visitors (to a lesser extent) to your monthly earnings (to a greater extent)

Q: How can the penalty affect me?
    A:
    Well for starters, you will be deranked. Meaning you are likely to be completely kicked of the Google Search Engine if the committed "crime" is bad, i.e. using extensive blackhat techniques. However, a lot of things can happen through this penalty which isn’t limited to anything from loosing SERPs to being banished from the G-Empire. It just depends how serious your crime was :eek:
    Q: What reasons can Google use to penalize me?
    A:
    The answer to this question is mainly common sense. Much like this thread itself. Google will punish you if do the "wrong thing" but it seems that most of us, have trouble figuring out between wrong and right at times. So, let's clear some things out! Below is a list of the most commonly used reasons behind the Google Penalization... it's not surprising to see most of them in the list, like I said it's just common sense.

~ Usage of BlackHat Techniques - Search the forums, and you'll know what I'm talking about. BlackHat SEO Techniques involve "cheating" the system or finding loopholes and exploiting them. This will allow you to get great SERP boost but won't last for long, they will find you out!

~Usage of GreyHat Techniques - Similar to BlackHat but the damage isn't as bad. It's like a less "bad" version of the BlackHat technique but you can still be penalized. Google will only accept WhiteHat SEO Techniques and you should stick to it too!

~ Content Duplication - This not only applies to Google and other search engines, but to us in general life too. If you copy/rip-off other peoples work, work they've spent time and effort to create you will be punished. It's a form of stealing; you wouldn't steal now would you?

~ Purchasing Links from other Sites - One of the most discussed "link building" techniques is this. People all around the internet purchase links from higher PR and niche-related sites to gain quick authority. However, the unspoken truth is that it's against the Google TOS, so if they catch you - you will have to face the music.

~ Invalid URL Redirection
    - I talked about 301/302 URL Forwarding in the earlier FAQ and how important it was, well this is why. If you shift sites and don't set up the redirection properly - when the incy-wincy Google spider comes along, it won't realize the shift - resulting in your "new URL" to be treated as a new website al-together, loosing it's backlinks, PR and authority!

~ Keyword Stuffing
    - Its name speaks for itself, if you stuff your website with keywords to please the crawlers, it will look bad to real human visitors, and eventually to Google as well. You should "sprinkle" your page with targeted keywords not flood it! Keywords are important, it helps direct the "right" visitors to your site and helps "target" your Adsense adverts. The more targeted the ads, the more clicks you will get.

~ Un-natural Link Building
    - This is the least of your worries, It's true that there are penalties for websites building a lot of links in an "unnatural" way in a short time, but I don't think it will effect normal and legitimate webmasters like ourselves ;). If you site contains real, unique content and a legitimate product, and should be able to build links naturally without any problems on the search engines. This "reason" mainly focuses on spammers, scrapers, or people who own a lot of domains and start "inter-linking" their own sites.

Q: I just got penalized! Now what?
    A:
    Well you can't do much, just spend the time rebuilding and regaining the "mutual trust" between you and Google, which you once had. You can contact them, but unless your sites extremely popular, I wouldn't bother cause neither would they.

Q: Can Google penalize me for using Auto-Surfers?
    A:
    Obviously, it can't be good. I've researched this question extensively but couldn't find an exact answer. Then again, common sense will tell us it cannot do anything but harm. Surely "fake" views of Google Ads won't be something to be proud of. Avoid them as much as possible, frankly you shouldn't even be using them for anything - imitating "person's" surfing can't be for a good cause.

M3rC, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  5. cheeta.admin

cheeta.admin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    amazing post once again :eek:

cheeta.admin, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  6. flatrox

flatrox Banned

Best Answers:
    its really helpful to exp. seo as well, thanks

flatrox, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  7. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    hey guys! i'm glad you like the latest addition to the FAQ :)

M3rC, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  8. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If people have questions they can ask them and you can answer them.
    It's not just about trying to second guess what every question is going to be, a forum is about communication between people.

magda, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  9. mohit115

mohit115 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Surely this will be made a sticky post soon! Good work.

mohit115, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  10. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mohit :)

@magda - you make a valid point and I agree, but noone seems to be asking here on the thread I like I first requested, so I took the time to go through the forums (and a few other sites) to scoop up the most commonly appearing issues, and tried my best to answer them :)

M3rC, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  11. conorod

conorod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing this with us. It should be made a sticky.

conorod, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  12. jupapa

jupapa Peon

Best Answers:
    really excellent article!!!.. congratulations and thanks for share

jupapa, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  13. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks guys! :)
    I'm getting heaps PMs/emails asking if people can copy this content to their site, like I've said before you can as long as you link back to this thread and give me some citation/credit for it :)

M3rC, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  14. spidro

spidro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wow very very very useful thread
    it always good to refresh your information
    thank alot M3rC :)

spidro, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  15. Sei

Sei Member

Best Answers:
    Superb information there M3rc. Just getting used to the online realm and this really helps in understanding things better.

Thumbs upto you my friend!!

Sei, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  16. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys! I'll stop posting the FAQs here - cause I want them to be unique for TeenProBlogger :)

You can follow me there =D

M3rC, Dec 21, 2008 IP